Sold my 2005 Ford GT

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
I owned my GT for 3 1/2 years and loved that car! By far the BEST car I have ever owned!

So why did I sell it? I wrestled with that decision for several months. My reasoning was I was too torn between keeping it as a lower mileage car vs a driver. That was mostly due to monetary reasons but also, whenever I had it out, I was hyper alert for crazy drivers that were not paying attention. The thought of having an accident with a $400,000+ car was not a good one! I better understand and respect the challenges of other FGT owners and especially the NFGT owners with a $1M+ value and how they deal with those same issues.

The good news is I made a really nice profit, got to own and drive a supercar in every sense of the word and made many friends along the way.
I enjoyed this forum - so helpful and informative and also fun! I expect I will continue to "lurk" for awhile just to keep up.

I sincerely wish the very best for all of you.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I can relate! I'm searching for a beater to drive more often. Probably a P-car:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: GTinTN

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I totally get it. you have to be hyper aware of your surroundings and everyone else when you're driving a GT. I pick and choose what events I feel comfortable going to with the GT. too many cruises around here with burnouts and craziness with nut jobs at the wheel. jmo

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I tend to drive early morning on weekends to stay away from folks, not to mention LEOs.
Good luck on your next journey!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Possible suggestion, use some of your profit to buy a higher mileage GT you can drive, enjoy and not worry so much about.

... and retain your forum name :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I get it. I feel the exact same anxiety on the road.

But it is the best car I have owned and will ever own.

So I live with the anxiety.

BTW GT350's and GT500's are insanely good cars too.

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I get it. I feel the exact same anxiety on the road.

But it is the best car I have owned and will ever own.

So I live with the anxiety.

BTW GT350's and GT500's are insanely good cars too.
Thank goodness for Xanax 😉

Reactions: GTinTN and 2112

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Understand the reason for concern but with a declared value insurance policy, not cheap, but your covered.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I can relate to many of the above thoughts!
But like Mitchell said pick the right time of day to drive. I too can get a bit nervous with the GTs as they do get too much attention.But the enjoyment of driving and owning far out way the negatives.The sear enjoyment of starring at such magnificent pieces of art is second to none!
Plus I have used my GT’s to raise money for several charity’s. I find the GT’s extremely gratifying in many ways! The people and friends I have met is astounding!It’s absolutely a legendary car that I am honored to own.

Attachments

• 06E398D6-26F3-494F-A09F-E55D0F21E23C.jpeg
    06E398D6-26F3-494F-A09F-E55D0F21E23C.jpeg
    840.1 KB · Views: 38

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...but also, whenever I had it out, I was hyper alert for crazy drivers that were not paying attention. The thought of having an accident with a $400,000+ car was not a good one!

Boy, does that sound familiar! 'Been there and done that, too! I cringed everytime a semi or a dumptruck was anywhere near for fear of getting a rock of any size bounced off my windshield....'didn't want to have to take the car's whole front end apart to replace it.
Additionally, early on it became obvious to me that a GT is not a car that ought to be left unattended anywhere...at least where I live. My own personal experiences in that regard convinced me of it darned quick.

A fellow I know here in town bought a new Testarossa in the early '90s and sold it within a year. I asked him why. He said it drew too much attention...he always had to keep an eye on it all the time. 'Never felt comfortable having it out in public. I thought he was joking...'that there had to be some other reason he just didn't want to mention. Annnnd then I bought my GT and discovered he was NOT being evasive at all!

In the end, it was a 'Twilight-Zone' incident involving the GT that convinced me to part with it.

Regardless, to this day the GT is still by far-and-away thee best car I've ever owned, built, rented, ridden in or driven...which, as of yesterday, includes a Huracan.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I completely understand this POV, however, also agree with stated value insurance being the key.
Life is too short.
Enjoy!!!!
Best,
Mark

Reactions: RPM217 and GTinTN

TF Stang

GT Owner
Jan 26, 2022
Congrats on the sale. I too am paranoid when out driving with mine, but it is way too fun to let sit, it get rid of. I pretty much have a fun route mapped out that has nice roads that are not well travelled. Great route to enjoy the car, give it some exercise and not have to worry too much about others. I also just love looking at the car in the garage. It’s just beautiful in every regard.

Don’t be surprised if you find yourself looking for another one. Been there, done that.

Reactions: 2112 and GTinTN

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I'm prob in denial about how well an insurance claim would go :oops: and maybe also because I've had no close calls (yet??) but I don't find myself being too concerned about driving the GT. The car's awesome and I love driving at it 🍻 and I just feel like if something happens, well it'd just be something else in life to figure out, get it repaired or replaced, and move on. Plus I'd have another story to tell 😁

Reactions: 2112 and GTinTN

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

In the end, it was a 'Twilight-Zone' incident involving the GT that convinced me to part with it.

Regardless, to this day the GT is still by far-and-away thee best car I've ever owned, built, rented, ridden in or driven...which, as of yesterday, includes a Huracan.

That happened to me too on a drive at Rally 9. The blind spot and my eyes simply didn't get along. It parked after that. It was a fabulously fun car to drive, in the right places. I'd have kept it if we'd stayed in Colorado but it just didn't work in the big city that has one of the highest accident/insurance rates in the country.

I agree about the assessment.

Reactions: GTinTN

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Thanks to all for the insights and recommendations!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Possible suggestion, use some of your profit to buy a higher mileage GT you can drive, enjoy and not worry so much about.

... and retain your forum name :)
This describes the car I bought, I don't worry about it at all. I knew from my Diablo that I'm not a "in the wrapper" guy.

Reactions: TORQJNKY and extrap

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'm prob in denial about how well an insurance claim would go :oops: and maybe also because I've had no close calls (yet??) but I don't find myself being too concerned about driving the GT. The car's awesome and I love driving at it 🍻 and I just feel like if something happens, well it'd just be something else in life to figure out, get it repaired or replaced, and move on. Plus I'd have another story to tell 😁
I'm with you! Although most of my friends have way more miles than me.:)

Reactions: extrap and GKW05GT

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
I totally get this but life is to short to live without a FGT.
Where ever I drive I'm totally focused with extra diligence depending on what area and traffic situation.
If you've ever watched Leno videos he has an area for drives away from town, probably North Hills below Angeles Hwy. Luckily for me I have a similar area right in my back yard to exercise the cars.
About a 20 mile loop and that can be optional, with some long straights and plenty of curves. In the evenings, this time of year the only thing you'll encounter is an occasional Deer, Coyote or even Mountain Lion, but that's in a part were you have to slow down anyway. Since there are Apple Orchards during the season it's a Zoo because half of LA comes up there.
Otherwise its deserted, like having your own road coarse.
It also helps to say an Our Father or Hail Mary, because he is watching over us.
Enjoy your car(s) and please be safe out there. Godspeed.

Last edited:

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
I totally get this but life is to short to live without a FGT.
Where ever I drive I'm totally focused with extra diligence depending on what area and traffic situation.
If you've ever watched Leno videos he has an area for drives away from town, probably North Hills below Angeles Hwy. Luckily for me I have a similar area right in my back yard to exercise the cars.
About a 20 mile loop and that can be optional, with some long straights and plenty of curves. In the evenings, this time of year the only thing you'll encounter is an occasional Deer, Coyote or even Mountain Lion, but that's in a part were you have to slow down anyway. Since there are Apple Orchards during the season it's a Zoo because half of LA comes up there.
Otherwise its deserted, like having your own road coarse.
It also helps to say an Our Father or Hail Mary, because he is watching over us.
Enjoy your car(s) and please be safe out there. Godspeed.
Same issue here, East end of Long Island. It’s like the deer capital of the world. Only advice is to avoid dusk and dawn also, pray 🙏

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
... crazy drivers that were not paying attention. ...
Fueling up recently at a station with 3 rows of pumps to where when you're on an 'inside' row there's enough room for you at your pump and across the way enough room for that guy and his pump, and if you're both parked fairly close to your pump there's maybe enough room for somebody to slowly, carefully squeeze between you two ... maybe. Well, I wasn't very close, and neither was the other guy, but a jackass in a minivan barrelled thru between us anyway 🤬 I swear he was less than a foot from my driver's side rear corner 👎🖕 ... and NOT looking down closely to make sure he was making it. Clueless dumb ass.

That's the worst instance so far. I'm not gonna let it hinder my fun, just something to note for next time: Fuel up at an outside lane pump ... and even then 🤞🤞 Hey maybe I should set some traffic cones around me while fueling 🤪