so i finally bought a car lift....

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Has anyone seen my 10mm wrench?

View attachment 33065

This was a pic when it was really organized. :facepalm: It is an extra large 4 car garage (full).
John

I'm ready to order a Bend pak four post lift, but have one question: for a GT, is there any advantage to buying an HD9XW instead of an HD9? Some have bought one model, some the other.

Thanks!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I think the W is wider...and though I'm using a Direct lift, I would have preferred the wider model to handle the GT's. I find the standard model to narrow and requires too much attention when pulling in underneath.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I'm ready to order a Bend pak four post lift, but have one question: for a GT, is there any advantage to buying an HD9XW instead of an HD9? Some have bought one model, some the other.

Thanks!

if you read the details closely on Bendpaks website they have revised the HD-9XW model to be narrower than it used to be. i have the new narrower model. obviously it is still wider than the standard HD9 model. make sure you got at least a 220V power source for it. i have seven 230V outlets in my shop. this lift will not operate on a 115/120V outlet....

Bend Pak HD9 models

if you read the details closely on Bendpaks website they have revised the HD-9XW model to be narrower than it used to be. i have the new narrower model. obviously it is still wider than the standard HD9 model. make sure you got at least a 220V power source for it. i have seven 230V outlets in my shop. this lift will not operate on a 115/120V outlet....

Looking at the web site, I can see that the HD9 is the same width (110 1/4") as the HD9XW and the HD9XL. The differences are in the length (200 vs 224") and maximum lift heights (70 vs 82"). For my purposes, the height of 70" is best (I only have a 10'2" ceiling) and so is the shorter length, although I could fit the longer lift in my garage. Is there any problem with the dimensions of the HD9 used for a GT, in particular its 174" deck length?

The HD7W might also work, although its length is 11" shorter than the HD9.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just had a Bendpak HD9SWX 'double wide' hoist installed in my detached garage, and TRUST ME when I tell you - yeeeeeeeeew WILL NOT have 82" of 'PASS-THRU' clearance under the hoist once the hoist is dropped down on - and locked in - its upper-most position. AT BEST you might have 77.5" - MAYBE.

I needed 78" of clearance or so in order to park my Ford F-350 dump truck beneath said hoist. 'Solved the clearance problem by cutting four, 4x4xqtr-inch-thick steel tubing 'legs' to put inside the hoist's 4 legs for the hoist to come down and rest on when the hoist was lowered to the needed height...then 'used tie wraps to make darned sure these internal 'legs' wouldn't fall out of the hoist's 'legs' during a 'quake. IOW, I had to bypass the factory's 'air locked' safety catches completely. (I'm nothing if not resourceful...)

'Submitted just 'FYI" for those who may believe and need the 82" clearance as I did...

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Got the BendPak with a "double wide, put two cars up at once, with 4 posts. Same blue, but I have blue ramps. My GT is "lowered" and I need the "race ramps" to get it on without ripping the bottom off.
http://www.raceramps.com/
These steel ramps are ridiculously heavy, especially when you compare them to the race ramps!

When is ordered my HD9 I ordered longer ramps with a lower approach angle. These option ramps were yellow, believe the shorter standard ramps were blue. Like someone else mentioned, they are very heavy. I just received the set of Race Ramps so I don't have to struggle with the extremely heavy yellow ones.

The race ramps I ordered were custom hook nosed models, not standard ones. I needed 5 3/4" lift for the BendPak versus the standard 5" lift. If using hook nosed models double check the lift needed. While the crossbar is 5", it does not set on the floor when fully lowered.

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks!

I have the HD9 and have no issues with the width. In fact, given my 10' garage door width, the HD9 was a better choice. If the main use is the GT, I'd stick with the HD9, no need for the extra width. I've had the GT, Aston, Jaguar, and 2500 GMC truck on it with no issues. You will need to get the longer ramps as the standard may not give you a low enough approach angle. Rather than pay BendPak for the option ramps, I'd order a set of Race Ramps. If you go that route, let me know and I'll get you the specs for the Race Ramps I ordered specifically for use with the HD9.

I have the HD9 and have no issues with the width. In fact, given my 10' garage door width, the HD9 was a better choice. If the main use is the GT, I'd stick with the HD9, no need for the extra width. I've had the GT, Aston, Jaguar, and 2500 GMC truck on it with no issues. You will need to get the longer ramps as the standard may not give you a low enough approach angle. Rather than pay BendPak for the option ramps, I'd order a set of Race Ramps. If you go that route, let me know and I'll get you the specs for the Race Ramps I ordered specifically for use with the HD9.

With the lift at its highest position, how far above the floor is the bottom of the deck?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I just had a Bendpak HD9SWX 'double wide' hoist installed in my detached garage, and TRUST ME when I tell you - yeeeeeeeeew WILL NOT have 82" of 'PASS-THRU' clearance under the hoist once the hoist is dropped down on - and locked in - its upper-most position. AT BEST you might have 77.5" - MAYBE.

I needed 78" of clearance or so in order to park my Ford F-350 dump truck beneath said hoist. 'Solved the clearance problem by cutting four, 4x4xqtr-inch-thick steel tubing 'legs' to put inside the hoist's 4 legs for the hoist to come down and rest on when the hoist was lowered to the needed height...then 'used tie wraps to make darned sure these internal 'legs' wouldn't fall out of the hoist's 'legs' during a 'quake. IOW, I had to bypass the factory's 'air locked' safety catches completely. (I'm nothing if not resourceful...)

'Submitted just 'FYI" for those who may believe and need the 82" clearance as I did...

The safety ladders have some limited adjustments by turning a nut on the top. You might get that 1/2" if you move them to the highest they will go.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The safety ladders have some limited adjustments by turning a nut on the top. You might get that 1/2" if you move them to the highest they will go.

Oh, trust me, Clinton - the install crew tried that.

I was just a bit MORE than somewhat irritated when, after having clearly spelled out the clearance I needed to both Bendpak AND the Bendpak dealer BEFORE I ordered the hoist, I discovered when the hoist was assembled that the 'pass thru' clearance was LESS THAN what I had stated I needed. (Hence my "AT BEST you might have 77.5" - MAYBE" comment.)

Had I not been able to solve the clearance problem my own darned self the way I did, it would have meant I had spent a total of about $9-$10K for nothing. Praise God that didn't turn out to be the case.

:mad:mad:mad

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Well more work but easier to use. You can mod the ladders by cutting and rewelding the adjusting screws so that the top hole is where you needed it to be. If you don't move it up and down so often it's not worth the trouble.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you don't move it up and down so often it's not worth the trouble.

'Zackly the case. My dad's Dodge Polara and Caddy Coupe Deville will be stored atop the hoist.

(Edit: My grandpa's '37 Chrys and my dad's '70 F-350 dump truck will 'reside' beneath them...)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
'Zackly the case. My dad's Dodge Polara and Caddy Coupe Deville will be stored atop the hoist.

(Edit: My grandpa's '37 Chrys and my dad's '70 F-350 dump truck will 'reside' beneath them...)

I thought that was the case. You don't drive any of those cars/trucks either. :lol

How confident are you about lift if a quake hits? I could never get an answer from anyone on what happens when the big one hits. I guess the closest info would be someone who had cars on lifts during the 94 Northridge quake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Northridge_earthquake

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaaaaaaah, Grasshopper, 'Pockets has taken steps to NEGATE the 'quake damage thing.

I await the delivery of the brackets and U-bolts that will secure the two 'left side' hoist legs to the 6X6 'frame' of the garage.

If, once those are installed, the hoist can move enough during a 'quake to 'dump' the cars atop it - I'll have BIGGER things to sweat!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Aaaaaaaaah, Grasshopper, 'Pockets has taken steps to NEGATE the 'quake damage thing.

I await the delivery of the brackets and U-bolts that will secure the two 'left side' hoist legs to the 6X6 'frame' of the garage.

If, once those are installed, the hoist can move enough during a 'quake to 'dump' the cars atop it - I'll have BIGGER things to sweat!

How about the cars tires moving off of the ramps?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York

You really only need tires, if you're going to drive the cars/trucks...............................

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Thanks!

HD-9 is plenty wide for the GT. If you are installing the lift in an end bay, there is about 17" of clearance between the posts and the wall (at least in my garage, which seems pretty standard), enough room to walk past. With the wider lift, I doubt you could walk between the posts and the wall.

Mine came standard with the yellow ramps. No scraping for me. You can also get ramp locks, which keep the ramps from drooping when raised. This gives several inches more clearance for driving underneath, although the GT fits under without the locks. $36/set of four.

You can order it with 110v motor. It's a no-cost option. I have 220v. I don't know if there is a practical difference between 110 and 220. Lower amp circuit with 220?

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'Cars will be secured to the ramps much like one secures a car to a trailer.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You can order it with 110v motor. It's a no-cost option. I have 220v. I don't know if there is a practical difference between 110 and 220. Lower amp circuit with 220?

I was told the 220v motor just lifts the hoist faster than the 110v unit.

And therein lies another thing: Since the hoist will essentially be a 'storage unit' and therefore 'lifting speed' won't be a factor, I ordered a 110v pump so I wouldn't have to route a new 220 circuit to the hoist. The hoist arrived with a 220v pump. So, I now have a new 220v circuit to the hoist. I also ordered drip trays. The trays weren't sent. 'Had to call the dealer to get that corrected.

At this point I'm hoping the hoist actually LIFTS the two cars when the time comes. (Other things need to be done around the hoist area before I bring the cars into the garage.)