Sneak Peek - Stainless Works headers/exhaust kit

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Here are some pics of the prototype headers from Stainless Works. We will be getting the car back that these will be on in about 3 weeks or so. So expect dyno number within 4 weeks. There will be a few options on the kit, all of them very reasonable in my opinion. For those that don't know Stainless Works, they are a top notch company that has a great reputation.

They are a 2 piece design, with a slip on merge collector. The tube length was modeled to be optimal for the blown 5.4, and the flanges are port matched to the cylinder head.

Here are the options:

Option #1 will be no cats with pipes to go to stock muffler
$1999

Option # 2 will be same as #1 with a muffler replacement which will flow more, and weigh less than stock
Estimated at $2800-$3000

Option #3 will be cats with pipes from the headers to the cats, then cats out the back of the car
Estimated at $2700-$3000

Option 2 and 3 are just estimated prices since they have not been finished yet. These prices are right inline with what the same parts would be on a Mustang. You are not being hit with any exotic tax here.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Pictures look interesting. Are these headers a different design than the ones sold by Ford Racing? If so how are they different? Thanks

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Stainlessworks makes a quality product and Al is a good guy from what I know. I was happy with their headers I had on my Z06, and I know they make the "name" headers for quite a few tuners and shops...

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Does anyone make or has anyone made an equal length header for the GT yet. Everything seems to be an untuned header, great quality but still an untuned header. Just curious.

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Florida Chris said:
Pictures look interesting. Are these headers a different design than the ones sold by Ford Racing? If so how are they different? Thanks

I can't answer that as well as I would like because they don't list the specs of the Ford headers. But the biggest thing is the merge collectors. The Ford headers do not have merge collectors. Merge collectors are usually a $500-$700 option all by themselves. Also, I'm not sure what grade of stainless the Ford headers are. In the past they used a cheaper grade than you would get with the SW setup. I doubt that the Ford headers are port matched either.

But everything above except for the merge collectors (I can tell that from the pic on the Ford site) is just speculation. Maybe someone who has a set can tell me what grade stainless they are, what the ports look like, etc.

If I had to sum it up, the Ford headers are a Mustang Cobra and the SW headers are a Ford GT :) Both are nice, but if you had to choose, which one would you get?

Plus, the SW headers are actually significantly cheaper which makes it a no brainer.

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
Mod Friendly said:
Does anyone make or has anyone made an equal length header for the GT yet. Everything seems to be an untuned header, great quality but still an untuned header. Just curious.

On this type of application, the benefits of a tuned length header would be minimal and due to the space limitations, about impossible.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Those look very nice and appear to have the potential to be priced reasonably.

The biggest benefit I see with these, right out of the gate, is the Burns Style merge collector. This is a proven technology and I have always used them in any system I have been involved with. They work! I look forward to seeing the results of these. Other than that, the only downside is the slip fit which will leak as a result of the design, and usually make it very difficult to get a CARB approval for those living in smog check states.
-W

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Pictures of Option 3 please :thumbsup

Any chance of a rear exit header with no cats?

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
50 BMG said:
Pictures of Option 3 please

Any chance of a rear exit header with no cats?

So, no cats and no muffler? We can call that the xtreme kit. :thumbsup

I'm sure that would be possible. The headers are the only thing completed. I'll post pics as more of the project is done.

Ken

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
KenBMD said:
On this type of application, the benefits of a tuned length header would be minimal and due to the space limitations, about impossible.

Ive seen the equal length headers for a lightning on a dyno the same truck with the regular long tube headers made a significant increase in torque. The space in the lightning is almost non existant but once they are in they are in. The install took me about 2 hours to do both headers. I was just curious though, I know they dont have them for the cobra, but there is def more room in a GT than a cobra so I dont see why they wouldnt be able to fit. We are doing an exhaust on a GT now and I was looking at it, and if someone were to take the time (key part) to design,test fit and refit a pair it would work. The room is there, its just a matter of creativity on the part of the person making htem.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mod,
which GT are you talking about ? Which exhaust ? just the Borla or the headers aswell ? Any idea when my transaxle cooler is installed ?

cheers

stefan

Mod Friendly

Feb 8, 2006
Plantation, Florida
Its a silver/black GT just doing a muffler on this one. The guy also has some damage on the front bumper but we cant do the work on that. I actually just came from the fleet building and saw your car over there. I thought you picked up already the day you were here. Ill ask Brian whats going on with your whip and when it will be ready. I gotta have yours done before I can bring in Rolandos GT from the Gables for all the work to be done on that one.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
KenBMD said:
So, no cats and no muffler? We can call that the xtreme kit. :thumbsup

I'm sure that would be possible. The headers are the only thing completed. I'll post pics as more of the project is done.

Ken

Not only would it be the extreme kit, it should be the least $$$ as well.

Compared to the straight header, no cat kit from FRPP at $4300, the "extreme" kit should be ~ half the price (nevermind the build quality, SW is the real deal for me). I love my headers to tips set of SW on my 04 cobra...which I dare say was $1600 shipped to my door :lol

KenBMD

Feb 22, 2006
50 BMG said:
Not only would it be the extreme kit, it should be the least $$$ as well.

Compared to the straight header, no cat kit from FRPP at $4300, the "extreme" kit should be ~ half the price (nevermind the build quality, SW is the real deal for me). I love my headers to tips set of SW on my 04 cobra...which I dare say was $1600 shipped to my door :lol

Which if you compare it to this pricing, it's right inline. Add $600-$800 for the merge collectors!

Ken

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
I've been wondering how long it would be before someone would make a "real" set of headers for the GT :thumbsup

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
Has anyone installed LTs on their car? If so, can you tell me what kinds of gains you saw and how much your boost dropped? Before/after dyno graphs would be awesome! Thanks!

Bman33

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Miami
How does the collector with the "slip fit" connect with the header? Is it really just a slip fit? clamp system? why couldn't that be a fixed fix?

I'd like pricing on the proposed "extreme kit" :rofl

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Headers and muffler, which even deletes cats, seems to be worth 5-10 hp. Why bother? Loud gets old real fast, especially if it doesn't make more power, just noise.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Headers and muffler, which even deletes cats, seems to be worth 5-10 hp. Why bother? Loud gets old real fast, especially if it doesn't make more power, just noise.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
50+ lbs off the back with a rear exit header as well.