Small Car Rally - Tour

Cobradvr

GT Owner
I have arranged a small car rally here in the South. So far I have about 6 couples, all different car types. Not sure if anyone is interested in joining us but here are the tentative plans, we have room for 4 more people:

May 1, 2008 start out in Pinehurst/Maxton, NC. For those that want to do the car thing we can head over to the airstrip, for the women, they could do the spa thing and for the guys with low car self esteem they could golf. The rooms are a little pricey, but it is nice and they have availability.

Morning of May 2, 2008 we drive 215 miles to the Biltmore in Asheville, NC and overnight at either the Biltmore Inn or the Grove Park Inn. We can take a tour of the estate or for those so inclined, do the spa thing and drink Biltmore wines.

Morning of May 3, 2008 we drive approximately 200 miles on the "Tail of the Dragon" through the Smokey Mountains and end up in Gatlinburg, TN. We can stay anywhere we like, a dive in Pigeon Forge works for me or the resort at Deer Ridge. That evening we can race go-carts and spend a couple hundred in the arcades while the women "shop".

Morning of May 4, 2008 we drive 116 miles to Bristol, TN. I'm checking on track rentals and the like at the raceway. There are a number of Bed and Breakfast places; one that could potentially house us all is the Mountain Empire. For those without race tracks in mind could go antique shopping...

May 5, 2008 we have breakfast, trade stories, laugh at each other and depart for home....

If interested, please contact me here and I can get you more information.

Best regards,
Mark

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Rally

Mark -

Sounds like a nice event. I'm very familiar with those roads, we use a lot of them for the Carolina Trophy in September. This year we stayed at the Biltmore, which was superb. The wines however, would not pass the "Bony Test" - even though 50% of the crop comes from California. I can't make it, as I will be at Road Atlanta at the Walter Mitty Classic.

Where in Charleston do you live? I'm in John's Island on the way to Kiawah.

Gordo.

PS: Cops on "The Dragon" are horrible! Be alert.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Sounds like a great drive, then again any drive in the Low country and the Carolina's can't go wrong!!! I wish I could make it, but I will only be down in Charleston in April for the BRIDGE RUN.

John

Cobradvr

GT Owner
Gordo,

I live in the Summerville area... Let me know the next time your ou tand about in the GT and we'll hook up.

Too bad you can't make it, and thanks for the heads up on the Dragon.

Best regards,
Mark

M

Mark O

I have arranged a small car rally here in the South.

Too late, it's been done already. :wink

1130186669_5764269a38.jpg

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
I will only be down in Charleston in April for the BRIDGE RUN.
John[/QUOTE]

Give me a call when you're in town - I'm local - I'll give you the nickel tour! BTW - I've done the run many times - best finish was in the 5,000 range. That was when there were 7,500 in the race. Now at around 30 - 35,000 + It's a mad house.

Gordo.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just for the rest of us, what's the Bridge Run?

H

HHGT

That was funny...

Can you imagine a 100 of these racing on a track - a 3 wheeler through the apex:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Cobradvr

GT Owner

That's awesome... my dad had a BMW Isetta, they look almost the same..

Bill M

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2007
They would need slides on both sides for me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

One of these lil' "putt-putts" would be kinda FUN to tool around in downtown. 'Kinda like a motorcycle enclosed in a body. But you couldn't PAY me enough to drive one anywhere else!!!:frown :thumbsdow

(I don't think any of 'em has a "reverse" either. THAT would absolutely have to be addressed.)

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
That's awesome... my dad had a BMW Isetta, they look almost the same..
Here's a T.V. spot on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=patvUFyIa1I

And I'd love to join you guys even though I don't own GT... or is that a sin:wink

Cobradvr

GT Owner
A GT is not a requirement... let me know if you're still interested. Also, we may change it up a little and try to hit the Mitty.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
That sounds awesome. If I am around the East then, I may hook up with you. I'll know my schedule later. Thanks for the great idea and setting it up!

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Great looking 3-wheeler's...a nice "all-weather" compliment to my '34 beetleback trike!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Bridge Run

Just for the rest of us, what's the Bridge Run?

The Cooper River Bridge Run is one of the largest 10k foot races in the country.
This year will be the 31st running of the race. We have a new bridge (the old one was built in 1929) which now permits more folks to run - but I think it's capped at around 35,000. It's quite an event, spring time in Charleston. Any runners out there should consider it. We have folks from all over the world come to run it.

See: http://www.bridgerun.com/

Gordo.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Mileage?

I'd love to make the run since I live 45 min from Pinehurst and have a home in Charleston, just wouldn't want to put the miles on the GT. I know, why buy it if you don't drive it. I might could drive my Porsche part of the trip. Sounds like fun. Keep me posted.
The bridge run in Charleston is one of the more interesting road races with great views over the harbor.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...just wouldn't want to put the miles on the GT. I know, why buy it if you don't drive it.

Where have you BEEN all my life? :lol :cheers

'Better question: Where have you been when I've been taking all the FLACK over this kinda stuff!!! :willy:rofl

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
A GT is not a requirement... let me know if you're still interested. Also, we may change it up a little and try to hit the Mitty.

Great! I'll get back too you as soon as I know what my plans are.

Mitty:confused

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I don't see Peppy's South of the Border included in the destinations. What kind of rally are you running? Peppy's has to be included.