Sloppy C/V joints

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Sloppy C?V joints

Had a disappointing day, enjoyed driving the GT, filled the tank and set for some spirited driving. After a near full throttle take off with very little wheel spin, heard an unfamiliar sound coming through the drivetrain, then disappeared.. Slowed down and downchanged to hear a loud clunk,, same when again getting on the throttle.. Drove slowly home expecting to see a loose or otherwise faulty driveshaft.. After through investigation it appears the outer C/V joints, both side now have a lot of slop in then, Car in 1st gear and rock back and forth, wheels turn but driveshaft don't.Audible clunk is heard and felt would say 15-20 degrees of rotation with out driveshaft turning.. Made a puller and have started to remove the driveshaft's.. Ford say they are a non serviced part, but well shall see what they are made of.. I can remember someone mentioning about stronger shafts.Mine are second had, so

Attachments

• FGT CV joints 001.jpg
    FGT CV joints 001.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 215

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I too have concerns about my CV joints (leaking), so I look forward to the upcoming posts on this subject. You are obviously someone who is up to the challenge of a "non serviceable part".

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
"It didn't grow on a tree." That was advice from an old watchmaker when I was in high school and learning to fix old-style mechanical watches (I just thought it was fun). What he meant by that was, God didn't make it, a man did, and if a man made it, a man could fix it. Therefore, there is no such thing as a "non-servicable part." Now, it may not be worth the time and effort to fix something, instead of replacing it, but if your objective is to work on the parts inside your head, as well as the parts in your hand, then by all means, go for it.

One more question: Did your car have the CV joint axle bolts replaced either under the Ford recall or with aftermarket bolts? If not please note the condition of the original bolts you take out. My bolts never were replaced, so I'm curious about other people's experiences.

Thanks

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR

One more question: Did your car have the CV joint axle bolts replaced either under the Ford recall or with aftermarket bolts? If not please note the condition of the original bolts you take out. My bolts never were replaced, so I'm curious about other people's experiences.

Why would you NOT change your original halfshaft bolts. It's just a matter of time before they break and damage your car.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Well the C/V joints are apart, just have to slowly work around the metal sheath and lever it up to open up the joint. As you can see the support cage for the Balls has broken.. This would of happened when the drive shaft and suspension was remove from a wrecked vehicle.. YOU CANT LET THE DRIVESHAFT HANG UNSUPPORTED.. this means if you remove the upright and driveshaft complete, then take care as to how much load goes into the unsupported driveshaft. Mine came from X2 builders, and shipped to Australia, so that is when the damage would have occurred. Found a replacement cage from a Merc, slightly oversize as it is metric, compared to imperial. Just needs a little magic to make it all fit again. You might have better luck in the USA finding the correct cage.. The balls and the rest of the joint is in as new cond, so relatively an easy fix.. Hope the pics explain it all., will post pics of it all going back together

Attachments

• GT CV joint 001.jpg
    GT CV joint 001.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 174
  • GT CV joint 002.jpg
    GT CV joint 002.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 175
  • GT CV joint 003.jpg
    GT CV joint 003.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 170
  • GT CV joint 004.jpg
    GT CV joint 004.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 172
  • GT CV joint 005.jpg
    GT CV joint 005.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 172

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
CV

This is the slightly oversize Mercedes Part, looks a little stronger as well

Attachments

• GT CV joint 007.jpg
    GT CV joint 007.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 172

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Why would you NOT change your original halfshaft bolts. It's just a matter of time before they break and damage your car.

Hugh, my thoughts exactly.
Why would any owner NOT replace the halfshaft bolts????
Makes no sense to me either.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Yes the 1/2 shaft bolts were replaced, but that was not the problem , totally unrelated, and yes new bolts will go back in..,, Sometimes these threads get off track a bit... On a side note, bolts for a C/V joint are a cheap and easy option studs with nuts are the best way to go,, Thinking about that route before refitting the shafts, Only downside is removing the transaxle requires taking the uprights(knuckles) off to remove the 1/2 shafts as they wont retract enough to clear the studs..

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
c/v

Well the non serviceable half shaft C/V`s have been serviced (The outer anyway,, The inner would be similar) Pic shows trial fit on new cage before greasing up, and final assembly, A bead of sikaflex sealant was applied behind the sealing Oring as the arrow shows, before the metal retaining ring was relocated..

Attachments

• Ford CV 001.jpg
    Ford CV 001.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Ford CV 002.jpg
    Ford CV 002.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 130

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Your bad luck, is a benefit to the rest of us. I always appreciate your do-it-yourself photos

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is a pretty robust CV joint. I'm surprised the cage broke.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
THe 1/2 shaft is quite heavy and to have all that weight hanging of the outer CV, and travel across the world, That's all I can come up with.. IM sure other have put A lot more load through their shafts than I have.. Anyone else have a problem!!