Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
yes

both blue

We have a winner!!!

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
And both have 4 wheels.... To me, that's about it.

yes

both blue

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The assignment. Design a mid-engine supercar. Must have dual high-exit exhaust. Must have two taillights. Must have diffuser.

The grades:

Ford - A+

McLaren - C+

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
I think it slightly resembles the Asterion (actually, just the front headlight shape and bumper overhang), than the McLaren. Amazing how the new GT already makes the Asterion (which I thought was pretty bad ass originally) look bloated and dated.

asterion.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
To me both rear views are an updated look for a 20 year old 959

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
I would like to see the designs leading up to final version.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Kayvan has pointed out elsewhere some differences among all the other recent supercars, from the "budget/entry" 458, all the way to the hybrids P1, LaFerrari, etc., compared to the new GT. Biases aside, anyone with halfway normal eyesite should/would find the GT faaarr more aesthetically appealing than the others, especially the most recent NSX which seems to have the front end of a TLX and four year old Mazda 3's merger together. (For a car that was delayed seemingly forever, that's the best they could do? It may end up being a great car, but I think you could say they swung and missed on the visuals).
Ludwing Mies Van der Rohe said "God is in the details." Apparently, the GT designers were Believers, because all of the little things seem right, and the general package is outstanding. For a company nearly 10 years removed from making a supercar, Ford didn't miss a beat. And when one does compare it to the McLaren, let's face it, the oddly named ist iteration McLaren had a face only a designer's mother (or maybe Honda) could love.
Ford managed to capture the essence of the original GT40 in the headlights and fenders of the new GT, yet as radical as the rear of the car is, the single tail light/side recalls both the ist gen GT and the 05-06 cars.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
As I child I was also very enthusiastic about the 959. Nowadays it doesn't look right to me anymore :)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
As I child I was also very enthusiastic about the 959. Nowadays it doesn't look right to me anymore :)

I understand, the "look" is certainly dated for 2015 offerings. That said, I still want one.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I dont think anyone was referring to the cars looking similar but if you look at a Mclaren with the doors open and the new gt the tub design looks very similar and the ways the doors open up is exactly the same, if they borrowed this from mclaren its only safe to assume there will be more similarities

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I dont think anyone was referring to the cars looking similar but if you look at a Mclaren with the doors open and the new gt the tub design looks very similar and the ways the doors open up is exactly the same, if they borrowed this from mclaren its only safe to assume there will be more similarities

Here. In fact I see some similarities but not a lot.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
well you know the door hinges are pretty similar or borrowed from Mclaren what else could be? tub? suspension? brakes? actually the brakes look like the ones off the zr1, how bout the electronics or the rack? the calipers off of our cars are from aston, I think the rack was also! seeing what I have seen so far I wouldnt be surprised to find lots of similar technology shared between these two cars. and thats why I think the price will be in the 240ish range

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
While we're seeing these pictures, let me tell you what I see. They seem to be rendered on Firefox at the original size, not scaled to fit to window, and so have scroll bar at the bottom of the topic. In the old forum going to full window would usually make the pictures fit. Now the new software keeps the forum portion centered but does not expand the pictures so they still have scroll bars.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
The ones I just posted came from here (of the GT) and from my pics on my computer of my 650. I have no idea how to size these correctly and am amazed when they actually just show up. techno dunce that I am.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The ones I just posted came from here (of the GT) and from my pics on my computer of my 650. I have no idea how to size these correctly and am amazed when they actually just show up. techno dunce that I am.

Not an issue with posting - images have always displayed in original resolution. Something seems to have changed in the migration to the new forum software.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Unlike the McLaren, the FGT2 does not seem to be designed to ever have a Spider option.