Silver Wheel paint code?

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Correct, which helped us understand what we need to do to replicate it. We did a special mix and gave it a go. Not perfect but really close. Still hoping to hear back from Cetelon (who actually supplies the paint or might have even painted the wheels according to their website).

We did a run at duplicating the finish:

IMG_1820[1].jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I admire your approach to problem solving.

Thomas Edison tested more than 3,000 designs for lightbulbs and 6,000 plants for filaments. The rest of us would have thought about it and said, meh, candles are fine.

That looks great. Would like to see it in the sun.

Last edited:

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
When I kerbed a rim years ago, I just called the BBS office and they Fedexed me some paint.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Was it a water base product ? I realize top coat one would use urethane clear . It is the base silver I am after. Quahog

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Maybe we can do a group buy on the paint??

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Would like to see it next to an untouched wheel.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Does anyone know what the paint code is for the Ford GT factory BBS optional wheel? I have a theory that it is the same as Quick Silver and that it is also the same as the frame silver.

Help appreciated.

Jim

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I used Rustoleum Silver aluminum and a small artist brush for a touch up nick..
andy (ajb)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Since you are asking about paint codes, is there a paint code for the silver paint on the engine frame and braces?

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
I have a gallon can of "Quick Silver" and may do a test spray out. I swear it's the right silver for the frame and wheels.....

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
pk Jim let us know.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Search can be your friend. This isn't a new topic. This one might help:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...S-Wheel-Paint-Code?highlight=wheel+paint+code

Someone here has been trying for a long time to match it and still hasn't declared success.

If it were the quicksilver paint that would have been known a long time ago.

On the other hand, some people report they have had their wheels repaired and seemed satisfied with the results. I expect that the difference is that painting a whole wheel, even though it might not precisely match the others, is easier to get a match that tricks our eyes than creating a paint that could be used as a touch up paint.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jim,
Very interesting post and you certainly are determined! Go for it.

In talking to the BBS people in Braselton, Georgia, the finish used on both the 05-06 Base BBS and Optional BBS rims is proprietary to BBS. As I recall it is a 2-step process. A light base coat with a thin silver layer over that and then a clear top coat. There is no lead used in any of the coatings and there is no specific "paint code". The people at BBS have had a number of claims on rim problems by people claiming something was defective on the rim. One of the first questions asked is if the rim had been powder coated. If pursued by the claimant, when the rim is received for warranty review the metallurgy of the base metal can be easily checked. The bake temperatures of the powder coat process does indelibly alter the aluminum microstructure such that it can be easily determined if the rim had in fact been powder coated at which point all warranty claims are null and void.

Pretty sure it is a paint process only.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If it's a paint, it appears to be a "water based" paint as that's typically the only way to achieve such fine metallics. The Nissan GTR in SUPER SILVER is a water based paint and it has the very fine metallics like the BBS wheels.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Jim,

I'm very interested in this too. Keep up the great work! I'll owe you a few drinks for cracking this code! :)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
The issue I found with them is the finishing of the wheels -the final finish /shine. The shine is something special to Ford / BBS and my guys couldn't match it. It's close but not exact.