Silver Wheel paint code?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
When I kerbed a rim years ago, I just called the BBS office and they Fedexed me some paint.

BBS USA
5320 BBS Way
Braselton, GA 30517

Toll Free: +1 (877) 832-8209
Tel: +1 (770) 967-9848
Fax: +1 (770) 967-9866
E-Mail: sales@bbs-usa.com
www.bbs-usa.com

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
I will contact BBS for sure. We have the wheel now at a paint lab up in Howell. I am having analysis done to figure out what we have and how to replicate. Not giving up yet.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Heard back from BBS:

The original silver is, unfortunately, not a single color. It is a multi-stage process; the 2 color stages and gloss clear combine for the overall effect. The final top silver coat is/was manufactured by a German company called Cetelon ( http://www.cetelon.de/). Their part number is/was 025/010902.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Maybe we can do a group buy on the paint??

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Heard back from BBS:

The original silver is, unfortunately, not a single color. It is a multi-stage process; the 2 color stages and gloss clear combine for the overall effect. The final top silver coat is/was manufactured by a German company called Cetelon ( http://www.cetelon.de/). Their part number is/was 025/010902.

Great information!
Now, I wonder if it is a paint that can be applied in the environmental justice seeking California!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jim, I believe that is what I told you in Post #18.:rofl

In talking to the BBS people in Braselton, Georgia, the finish used on both the 05-06 Base BBS and Optional BBS rims is proprietary to BBS. As I recall it is a 2-step process. A light base coat with a thin silver layer over that and then a clear top coat.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Correct, which helped us understand what we need to do to replicate it. We did a special mix and gave it a go. Not perfect but really close. Still hoping to hear back from Cetelon (who actually supplies the paint or might have even painted the wheels according to their website).

We did a run at duplicating the finish:

IMG_1820[1].jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I admire your approach to problem solving.

Thomas Edison tested more than 3,000 designs for lightbulbs and 6,000 plants for filaments. The rest of us would have thought about it and said, meh, candles are fine.

That looks great. Would like to see it in the sun.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Would like to see it next to an untouched wheel.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I used Rustoleum Silver aluminum and a small artist brush for a touch up nick..
andy (ajb)

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Jim,

I'm very interested in this too. Keep up the great work! I'll owe you a few drinks for cracking this code! :)

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
An alternative solution is to paint your wheels black. As an added bonus, your GT will then have black wheels.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
An alternative solution is to paint your wheels black. As an added bonus, your GT will then have black wheels.

On your Quicksilver GT, that would look superb.

On my Mid Blue GT.......eeehhh.....not so much!

Wheeler

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2014
Can anyone post what color paint was used that was close. I had all 4 wheels on my 2005 refinished at Armor Coating here in SLC. When I got it back they were grey silver. Looks like crap, so I just might settle for close.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
When I kerbed a rim years ago, I just called the BBS office and they Fedexed me some paint.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
Was it a water base product ? I realize top coat one would use urethane clear . It is the base silver I am after. Quahog