Silver State Classic

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
After reading about the Silver State Classic on the forum, I am in.:cheers After looking at the details, however, a BIG question comes to mind. At 150 mph, I will need to get 6 miles per gallon to finish the 90 miles.:confused Will I get that much? My Porsche race car only gets 7 mph at a much lower average speed so I am not sure I will have enough gas to finish. I plan to top off at the start line but???

Any ideas from guys that have run their GT's in the rally would be appreciated.

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Very good question. I never thought about that, but I think it will be close. I think Jeremy Clarkson got only 5 MPG while running his on the track. Is there a filling station in the middle of the course?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
We thought about putting a gas can along the course to be able to do that. But, per the rules, if you pull off the road for any reason, you can not reenter the course. So, no gas stop allowed, it would be hell on the 150 mph average speed anyway. Max allowed speed is only 165 so no way to make up enough time for a fuel stop.

5 mpg would leave me 10 miles of coasting:banana I can make that if it is down hill all the way.:lol

Big Dog

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Also remember it could be dangerous to run the tank too low. If you lose fuel pressure you could run lean for a while before the ECU reacts to the drop in fuel pressure. Whipple recommends never to run with less than 1/4 of a tank. If you are smooth and keeping a steady speed you lower the risk.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i will be doing the silver state again this year in my viper. i will be leaving for nevada on thursday. from ely to the start of the race track is 40 miles. unleaded race gas can be obtained at pre-grid. 10 miles after the finish line is a gas station with 91 octane. i averaged 150 mph on the 90 mile course and got about 10 miles to the gallon using mostly 5th and 6th gear. since you will be using mostly 5th and 6th gear in your GT you will not run out of gas. a bone stock GT ran this race last year and averaged 150 mph as well. if you have a whipple or twin turbo's then i would top off with the race gas that is available at pre-grid which is approximately 5 miles before the starting line.

Last edited:

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
10 mpg!:biggrin

That means that I can calc. the gas needed and drain the excess out to save weight. I only need 9.5 gals. to make it with .5 gals left at the finish, saves 39 lbs. :cheers:cheers

With that much weight savings, I should get even better mileage so I can start with even less gas.:banana:banana

What a way to start:bs:bs:bs

Thanks for the info on the estimated mileage, guys.

Jim "Big Dog"

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
i will be doing the silver state again this year in my viper. i will be leaving for nevada on thursday. from ely to the start of the race track is 40 miles. unleaded race gas can be obtained at pre-grid. 10 miles after the finish line is a gas station with 91 octane. i averaged 150 mph on the 90 mile course and got about 10 miles to the gallon using mostly 5th and 6th gear. since you will be using mostly 5th and 6th gear in your GT you will not run out of gas. a bone stock GT ran this race last year and averaged 150 mph as well. if you have a whipple or twin turbo's then i would top off with the race gas that is available at pre-grid which is approximately 5 miles before the starting line.

This is what I was thinking as well. If you were romping on and off it like Clarkson was I could see 5mpg. However at a fairly consistent 150mph pace over a long distance, 10 mpg sounds very reasonable. Have you got AAA? They could always bring you a gallon or two. LOL!

Last edited:

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I ran the 150 class last spring in my stock GT with no problem. I topped off the tank at the staging area just before the start line and used less than 10 gallons to complete the run and drive to the gas station at the end. I was in 6th all the way, cruising at about 3600 RPM, with the windows up and the air conditioner on.

Craig

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I ran the 150 class last spring in my stock GT with no problem. I topped off the tank at the staging area just before the start line and used less than 10 gallons to complete the run and drive to the gas station at the end. I was in 6th all the way, cruising at about 3600 RPM, with the windows up and the air conditioner on.

Craig

What was playing on the Mac?

JimF

GT Owner
Dec 19, 2006
Palm Springs, Lake Tahoe
Craig, thanks for the input. What can I expect in this deal. It is my first run. I am told that there may be places that one can get air. Is that a concern? I would love to talk with you to get a better idea of what I can expect and what to look out for.

My cell number is 760.578.6103

Thanks.

Jim