Signed Engine Cross Bars - protection?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Many of us in Detroit were able to collect signatures on the engine cross bars inked with Sharpie Permanent pens.

My fear is that left untreated or coated the ink will fade, wash off or leach when wet...

Has any body given any thought to "clear coating" these pieces. They look like they can be removed. Probably one side at a time though. What affect would the heat have on the clear coat. Last thing I want is the clear coat to yellow due to the heat.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I asked Camillo afer he signed mine. He said he used Krylon (acrylic) clear for his (Shelby's signature)

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Gene Cassone said:
I asked Camillo afer he signed mine. He said he used Krylon (acrylic) clear for his (Shelby's signature)

I don't know anything about mixing paint types. Would the acrylic be OK without reacting to the silver that is there? Any problem with heat or discoloration?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
He told me the same, but im leaving mine alone, the patina fade is what we really want, isnt it? enjoy gtjoey :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
GTJOEY - your car has gained about 5 lbs last week due to the ink of all at Saleen and Wixom. It's the first four tone car I've ever saw.

The inside of your hood will never see the light of day - it should be OK. What I'm worried about is heat on the engine cross memebrs and effect on the "kyrlon"...... Maybe I should buy new cross memebrs?

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
I plan on using krylon but also considered a 10% tint on the clamshell window.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha Ha Ha, the nuclear reactor light protects it all! I'm going to look into buying new crossbraces. They come off very easily. As long as car is sitting still, you can take them off without problem (Ford GT engineers).

MAD IN NC

Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
As long as car is sitting still, you can take them off without problem (Ford GT engineers).

Frank - how do you take your parts off your car - going 10 or 20 Mph?

I guess this is why the engineer became edumacated - to work on a moving car! :rofl

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Mad, but the issue was DON"T DRIVE THE CAR WITH THEM OFF (quote the Ford GT engineers)