Shortening Short Throw Shifter

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Received the short throw shift. Plan on shortening the shifter by .75 inches and rethreading the shaft. Wondering if anyone has performed this machining on their short throw unit.

- doc

Aug 25, 2006
eshrink said:
Received the short throw shift. Plan on shortening the shifter by .75 inches and rethreading the shaft. Wondering if anyone has performed this machining on their short throw unit.

- doc

Did you receive the shifter as offered by Ford Racing?

As for threading the shaft another .75 inches; I would suggest you look at Jay's at GTSaver.com modified OEM shifter ball as it does exactly the same thing by extending the threads within the shifter ball and it no longer uses the exposed lock nut.

I received and installed it and it looks and works great

Shadowman

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Yes, it was from Ford Racing. Arrived on Friday; ordered in May.

- doc

Aug 25, 2006
eshrink said:
Yes, it was from Ford Racing. Arrived on Friday; ordered in May.

- doc

Well mine remains in the "Q" too.

Enjoy it

All the best

Shadowman

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
It will get there. It is a long wait, but it is a quality product. If you have not seen one, you will be impressed with the manufacturing of the unit. Let me know when it arrives.

- doc

Aug 25, 2006
eshrink said:
It will get there. It is a long wait, but it is a quality product. If you have not seen one, you will be impressed with the manufacturing of the unit. Let me know when it arrives.

- doc

Will do; I too understand that it is a very nice piece both in construction ..... and the manner in which it works.

My last update was the 17th so I begin counting the days

Takes care

Shadowman

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
eshrink said:

- doc

Just curious, why would you shorten the shaft before you install it and test it? Aren't you afraid it will be too hard to shift since the shorter the shifter the more pressure it takes to shift (less leverage).

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Doc's will get very short indeed... I'd rather go the Jay route, and try it that way before shortening it away, irreverseably..
I understand we all want to get to the joystick shift length, but I think there is a twofold tradeoff: push force will increase, and precision to hit the gears rightr will become less manageable, as all will come very close together, also the famous 1/3 gears, if you know what I mean....

try it first, ant then cut your stick short.. (something Bonly would never do, for him size matters most of all, I'd bet... :wink
Stefan

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I was able to drive a local car with the shortened short-shifter. The fellow uses the same machine shop that I have used for other fabricating work. I liked the way it shifted. It was tight and secure, but I do understand your reservations, and you should avoid such a permanent alteration until you drive it and determine for yourself. Thank you for the input.

- doc

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Doc,
In your estimation, how much is throw shorten and how much more effort is required to shift, percentage wise?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Hi Bruce:

His GT shifted butter smooth with minimal effort even when granny shifting. Hard to define travel percentage but it was certainly a great deal less travel than my stock shifter...felt like 30%, but, again, that is just a guestimate.

I like the build quality of the Ford Racing shifter, and I liked the feel of his shifter with the machined arm.

- doc

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
I've got the Ford Racing short throw shifter ( no problem in getting the part immediately from Polito Ford in Lindsay, Ontario, Canada 705-328-3673 ( definetely the place you want to have your GT serviced ) and ask for Mike Hocking who is also an excellent GT mechanic).

The car should have come with this set up in the first place!

One also has the option of using the metal or rubber bushings that come with it - I went with the metal as recommended by Polito which gave the shifter a much more precise or slotted feel.

That being said - it could stand to be even a bit shorter with the throw but is a vast improvement over the stock unit.

Highly recommended.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
shorty shifter

Cost and ease of installation?

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Cost of shifter part #M 7210 GT $ 560.75 Canadian.

Labour included a bunch of other things but appears to have been for about 2 hours. In actuality Polito charged me a total of $ 285.00 for labour to install the shifter, a Ford transmission cooler and Alex's transmission vent kit.