Short Shift Install

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Did a search and there are a few posts as to how nice it is, but has anyone installed one themselves, or can share insight as to what is involved? Can it be done from the top? I have installed several shifters in other cars, and they have all been done from the top with out much effort (with the right tools). Would love to get this piece, but do not want to bother if it is more than I can do.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I should have one soon...

Specracer said:
Did a search and there are a few posts as to how nice it is, but has anyone installed one themselves, or can share insight as to what is involved? Can it be done from the top? I have installed several shifters in other cars, and they have all been done from the top with out much effort (with the right tools). Would love to get this piece, but do not want to bother if it is more than I can do.

Specracer,

I have one on order and hope to install myself. I will study my service manual soon to see what's involved.

Jay

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
analogdesigner - Did you pick up the service manual from Ford or do you have a third party source? How much did it cost?

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Thanks for the link. :thumbsup

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Do you guys really think the already short shift needs to be shorter?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Manuals and short throw shifter

Steve T said:
analogdesigner - Did you pick up the service manual from Ford or do you have a third party source? How much did it cost?

Steve T,

I had prepaid for most of the manuals (listed in the link provided by Centerpunch) at the time I had purchased the car through my Ford dealer (I had also paid for a set of the optional forged wheels). It was a Sunday evening and nobody knew the proper pricing, so when the manuals arrived, I paid the balance of any price difference. I found that the workshop manual and the wiring diagram to be the most useful.

The short throw shifter is probably not the best value (~$500), however I want the throw to be more similar to my Acura NSX. One must realize that shifting this beast will require a little bit more effort due to the 20% further loss of leverage. Now that I have about 1,600 miles on it, the transmission is starting to shift a bit more easily, especially when cold. I still haven't had time to review the installation procedure yet. I'll try to keep everyone posted on this.

Jay

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thanks

Thanks Analogdesigner, funny you mention the NSX, because between that and an S2000 those are 2 of the best shifting cars I have ever driven for throw and feel.

As for the need of the shorter throw? Frankly I was surprised how long the throw was, (granted it is not M3 long), I have raced a long time and am used short "snick snick" style of shifts, so if this was not going to take 3 days to do, I was going to go for it. Just finished the SAE book about the car, and it was interesting how much they covered what went into the development of the feel of the shifting. I think it IS great, nice and precise, but again just a bit shorter sounds good, to me.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I don't think the short shifter will have any impact on the stiffness. It will shorten the throw which is important if you track the car.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
short shifter

Specracer said:

To put the
headers the whole back of the car and hood has to come off, for the shifter
the whole consul needs to come out as well as the seat, and all this with no
power tools and with extreme caution.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cool...

I'm on the phone to DM as I'm typing this...:)

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Throw

I believe the Motorsports Short Shifter is just that. A shorter shifter shaft only. I heard the actual throw is the same, but might appear shorter because of the angle difference with a shorter shaft.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
When I tired it the shift was definitely shorter.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Suggested retail is $449

DM charges $229...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
barondw said:
When I tired it the shift was definitely shorter.

Hello Dave (barondw),

Could you please clarify something for me? Is the shifter arm length physically shorter or is the throw distance shorter?

The 20% shorter movement must require about 20% more force by the driver. You cannot get something for nothing. Am I overlooking something?

Many thanks,

Jay
Yellow/Black #1877

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
its only the throw distance...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Jay

According to my memory, an old guy, its a shorter shift distance. Don't remember the gear shift lever being different.

Dave

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Gentlemen (Dave and one of 101):

Thanks for the info. I will attempt to install this myself when it arrives. I will take a series of images during installation so other's can decide if they want to tackle this one.

Jay

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
analogdesigner said:

Thanks for the info. I will attempt to install this myself when it arrives. I will take a series of images during installation so other's can decide if they want to tackle this one.

Jay

If you see my previous post, this will not be an easy undertaking.... Good luck ! :thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
analogdesigner said:

Jay
For my info; How much you (guys) paid for your short throw shifter !? How much for the install (if done by dealership/service) ??
I'm trying to get some benchmarks here, maybe we do that for all the 'parts' to make sure we get good deals... What ya think ?