Shipping from Canada to USA

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I am buying wheels with tires mounted from one of our esteemed members in Canada. I was expecting the shipping to be somewhat expensive, but not what we ended up getting quotedfrom a shipper in Canada, TFX International. They initially quoted $700 for the wheels and tires,and I after filling out the paperwork, they want another $400+ for getting across the border. That latter figure consisted of:
“Formal Entry - Monty USD under 25 yrs, $220
“Duty/MPF US Funds 2.85%, $165.83” (why is there a duty on wheels and tires that originated in the US?)
And a wire fee of $20.
So far, that’s over $1100 for four wheels and tires. I hope there aren’t any other hidden fees.

Does anyone have a better way to do this? Otherwise, shipping anything from Canada to the US can be a deal killer.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I recently had the same surprising experience. Per USMCA, items made in Canada, USA, and Mexico (and a few others) have no tariffs when imported or re-imported into the US. BUT, unless you have some sort of affidavit from the manufacturer stating country of origin, a 2.5% duty is charged on the value. Even if the OEM label says "Made In USA", you get to pay the 2.5% duty without the affidavit. This is in addition to all the other import fees which are about $280. You will also have to fill out a few US DOT forms for the wheels. I think they need to be US DOT compliant for entry.

As a suggestion, go to YRC Freight (YRC.com) "SHIP" > "RATE QUOTE" for the best freight rate. Probably around $200. If you use them you will need to use an import broker. I used A.N. Deringer. Deringer will handle the import stuff for you. You will want to call them, They have offices in Blaine, WA and Sweetwater, MT handling the western US. Anyway you try, you will pay $$$ and it will be a PIA for a one time deal. Best of Luck.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
HighHP: thanks. I’ll try YRC and Deringer. I’m in SW WA, so entry at Blaine or Sweetwater makes sense.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Ive used uship.com stateside for similar items

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If it was not for COVID, get in the truck and drive for $1100+ in shipping....

On a serious note, What about UPS? When they have tires on them, they just need some padding on the face, and 2 pieces of cardboard front and back.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I checked UPS and Fedex. For freight, they were terrible expensive at $2000 instead of YRC at a couple hundred. Nobody will probably believe me. I wouldn't.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Cause I was curious