Shifting into 3rd gear

Jays1953vette

Nov 8, 2007
I just purchased an '06 FGT with 700 miles on the car. In driving the car, when shifting into 3rd gear, the gear shift will initially engage the tranny into 3rd gear, however, the tranny will often slip back in neutral. Any idea on what is going on and how to fix it? I apologize if this question has been asked previously. Thanks, Jay

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There's going to be several people on here that will advise you to adjust the shift linkage but I am sorry to say that there's a 90%+ chance that the transaxle is bad and needs to be replaced.

Regarding the shift linkage - with the engine off, you can have someone row through the gears while you watch the linkage from the passenger side of an open clamshell. Make sure bracket is tight and the linkage ends are firmly attached. Might be kind of difficult to get any pics if you have the OEM muffler, but if you see anything odd, or have any questions, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jays1953vette

Nov 8, 2007
Thank you. I appreciate the information.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
How could anything be wrong in 700 miles?

Reactions: Xcentric

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
How could anything be wrong in 700 miles?
Mistook 3rd for 1st.

Check linkages first.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I can fix the trans if need be.

Jays1953vette

Nov 8, 2007
I can fix the trans if need be.
Thank you for the reponse. Any idea how complicated / expensive this would be? Have you fixed many of these in the past? Thanks, Jay

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Fixing a transmission is never cheap. I blew up my transmission on my 68 GT500 a few years back while racing up and down the highway and it was a year in the shop and $4.5k. I can't imagine a Ford GT will be any less. On the bright side it's been good as gold ever since then.

QSS

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
4.5K for a transmission. Someone had a loan of you.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
4.5K for a transmission. Someone had a loan of you.

He probably wanted to save his original case with VIN# stamped on it. So Big in and out with all new updated guts. Parts and complete labor will get close to that.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
He probably wanted to save his original case with VIN# stamped on it. So Big in and out with all new updated guts. Parts and complete labor will get close to that.

Yup i've fixed a few Gt transaxles for guys who want to keep original vins. Did a ring and pinion last summer on one that went bad out of the blue with low miles on it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I recall when I had the trans rebuilt on our 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (it's not IF it will fail, it's WHEN) it was around 3K. And that was still less than a new one.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yes, the reason to repair is the VIN. Lots of GT's out there with replaced trans due to no one to fix them until now. As far as I know, I don't know anyone who has fixed them, and us owners with bad trans just had to have them replaced with a new one. It sucked but the only solution. 16-17K for a trans is pretty pricey but there were no other options.

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
I also have the ability to repair the Ricardo transaxle. It is most likely a shimming issue causing the problem. The trans does not need to be replaced. The repair ( while not cheap) will cost much less.
Ron