Shifter ball

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I installed the FRPP short throw shifter and a MOMO shift knob that I really thing looks at home on my GT. Will post pics tomorrow with pics of my new wheels. :biggrin

Please post pics of the MOMO shift knob. Jay just informed me that he is no longer abe to provide shift knobs. He will post this shortly on the Forum. Any of the carbon fiber gurus out there I think there is a market for a CF shift knob with Jay's mounting to shorten the throws.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Sorry the quality is not a little better, BUT this knob has little circles cut out of the top which IMHO match the circles in the seats of the car and the floor mats. I also prefer the feel of the leather on my hand rather than the COLD RAW METAL of the factory knob.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
That is the EXACT knob I have in my '76 Porsche. You have excellent taste, and have given me something to think about. I just wish I could be certain that I'll remember where reverse is without the diagram on the OEM knob. Maybe I'll keep the original knob in the glove comp....

Howard

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...in the glove comp....

Howard

:confused:confused:confused

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Yeh, Ralphie, no glove compartment. I'll have to try to memorize the shift pattern, or avoid reverse.

Howard

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Sorry the quality is not a little better, BUT this knob has little circles cut out of the top which IMHO match the circles in the seats of the car and the floor mats. I also prefer the feel of the leather on my hand rather than the COLD RAW METAL of the factory knob.

Looks nice no doubt feels better than steel but I would prefer carbon fiber like I have in the Porsches. How about it Kip or Shadowman?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
MOMO makes the same knob (and others) in carbon fiber (maybe faux fiber?), instead of the black leather.

Howard

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
Shelby, is the shift knob you have the "momo race airleather" model?

Also wondering if it actually lowers the shifting position like Jay's knob does.

thanks

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Shelby, is the shift knob you have the "momo race airleather" model?

Also wondering if it actually lowers the shifting position like Jay's knob does.

thanks

No, it doesn't appear to lower it like Jay's. Too bad they no longer are available. Out of all my mods, the short throw combined with the lowered shifter ball are one of my favorites.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Are there any "threading" issues. Do shift knob threads vary (metric or standard threading)?

I'd be interested in looking for a nice Momo shift ball. I like Shelbyelite's or something similar. CF would be nice too, but not as comfy as leather.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
It does not thread at all. Uses a SET SCREW. To keep from scratching my shift post with the set scew, I wrapped the are were the set screw touches with several layers of electrical tape. I removed it after a couple of weeks of usage and it worked like a champ!

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Are there any "threading" issues. Do shift knob threads vary (metric or standard threading)?

I'd be interested in looking for a nice Momo shift ball. I like Shelbyelite's or something similar. CF would be nice too, but not as comfy as leather.

I installed this one: http://www.momousa.com/detail.php?category=6&group=52&pic=1

It slipped over the stick and was secured by set-screws......it came with a few different spacers to make sure it was snug

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks Chris and Shelby.

I kind of like the looks of the "Duke" shifter ball. Kind of a stock look with a touch of comfort. If I could design my own, I'd put a black alcantara in place of the leather.