Shift light on steering wheel questions

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Can someone tell me exactly when these shift lights on the steering wheel are to actually light up and suggest time to shift? Does this only happen in certain drive modes or certain speeds?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Hammer it they will appear!

Reactions: Ed Sims

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Hammer it they will appear!
I've had it all the way to 50mph but haven't seen the lights :)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gotta get up there above about 6K rpms, then they light up rapidly.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
any drive mode?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Go in manual mode and should appear at higher rpm

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
You need to get on the throttle hard and keep it there, they will light.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I haven't studied them closely enough to know exactly what RPM they come on, or if it changes based on drive mode. I'm sure it's in the owner's manual. Most cars with these lights come on "predictively" -- meaning they assume you'll need a moment to see them, register them, and then hit the upshift paddle. I remember thinking they were a total gimmick on a 488 test car I was driving in 2014. Then I took that car up Palomar Mountain and was sling-shotting between corners. Having those lights in my peripheral vision (versus having to look down at the tach) was amazingly helpful.

I was thrilled when I saw that feature on the GT's wheel.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Soon as you see that first blue light change gear, the motor revs so quickly that in the time you need to react it will hit the rev limiter if you’re not careful

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
We still have 2.5 years to get our car and these kinds of discussions only make me that much more impatient! Sounds so cool. I can't wait to see that from the driver's seat!

Dave Hellinge

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2013
I just received my NGT about a week ago. I had the same question how the shift lights worked. So I contacted the service concierge. This is the response I got:

Mr. Hellinge,

Here is what I found on the steering wheel lights The settings for the performance shift indicator are found in the IPC – vehicle settings – performance indicator. It can be set to on, off or auto. When set to on, the indicator should work at all times regardless of what drive mode and will prove out when the ignition is cycled. When it is set to auto, the light will work in Vmax, Sport and Track mode. When enabled, the light will start working at 6,000 RPM, redline is 7,000 RPM. I will follow up by phone on 10/10

Reactions: GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I just received my NGT about a week ago. I had the same question how the shift lights worked. So I contacted the service concierge. This is the response I got:

Mr. Hellinge,

Here is what I found on the steering wheel lights The settings for the performance shift indicator are found in the IPC – vehicle settings – performance indicator. It can be set to on, off or auto. When set to on, the indicator should work at all times regardless of what drive mode and will prove out when the ignition is cycled. When it is set to auto, the light will work in Vmax, Sport and Track mode. When enabled, the light will start working at 6,000 RPM, redline is 7,000 RPM. I will follow up by phone on 10/10

Great info Dave and congrats on getting your NGT! Can't wait to see it in person!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Like Dave said, on the track in manual mode at full throttle shift at blue light or be ready to hit rev limiter. They come on only during heavy acceleration in all driving modes.

Mar 28, 2019
You guys are being way to gentle, it can handle all you can give it. There is nothing wrong with hitting the rev limiter. That is why it is a rev limiter, it stops you before any damage can be done. Enjoy the car and rev it out.

Reactions: spartan

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
We still have 2.5 years to get our car and these kinds of discussions only make me that much more impatient! Sounds so cool. I can't wait to see that from the driver's seat!
Ditto