Shadowman IMPORTANT Stainless Works News

Aug 25, 2006
You are all very welcome; and for the record the system works flawlessly.

The process of installing the hardware will take 30 minutes to an hour. A bit longer than my original design becasue I elected to index the "H" pipe with the bronze bushing/collar as such a modest amount of tweakinhg maybe required to make certain that the stud is centered in the "H" pipe bracket holes. On my gal one side was spot on and the other took a few minutes of tinkering however it was and is not difficult.

I recomend dry fitting the stud and the inner machioned collar and once everything is lined up put a dab of blue Lock-Tite on the stud; slide the plastic washer in-between the "H"ipe bracket and the transfer case and then using a double nut method install the stud and snug it into place. It does NOT need to be overly tight. Then remove the nuts and install the spring, the outer bronze collar, and then the lock nut. The end of the stud and the outer end of the nut should be flush with each other as this will set the proper spacing and preload on the spring.

HINT: "IF" the "H'" bracket is so close to the transfer case that you can not easily slide the washer into position then start your gal for 30 seconds and you will have plenty of room and fear not this time line will not cause heat to a point that you can not complete the task. This brings me back to an earlier comment where the true need for the washer is minimal at best nevertheless it is a nice finishing touch.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
sanitary!

Bill,

Your upgrade looks very sanitary!

Almost makes me wish I had a Stainless Works exhaust system! :thumbsup

Best of luck and get some rest,

Jay

Aug 25, 2006
Bill,

Your upgrade looks very sanitary!

Almost makes me wish I had a Stainless Works exhaust system! :thumbsup

Best of luck and get some rest,

Jay

Thank you Jay

Your comments are both appreciated and well received.

FYI; I did isolated thermal testing of the following items

1. The H pipe assembly
2. The cross over tube
3. The H pipe bracket at the point where is connects to the transfer case
4. The stud
5. The spring
6. The cat

I took numerous measurements starting at 75 degres and then through a complete heat cycle and cool down cycle. All of the measurements remained well below any of the specifications solicited by the various suppliers to me during the design stages and the expansion and contraction of the system is smooth as butter.

I consider this project a wrap; now it is time to go watch some NHRA Drag Racing

Takes care

Shadowman

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
your own idea???

Bill,

I spoke to a GT owner that does not hang out on our forum. He was considering an upgrade on his exhaust system and did not want to go with a GTsaver Classic system (I can easily understand this!). He then asked me about what I thought of the other systems available. There was some talk about the Accufab and the Stainless Works systems. I mentioned that an upgrade was currently underway for the Stainless Works system, so he wanted some clarity on this.

Are the components that you recently machined for only your customers?

Since he is out of state, is this update available on all new Stainless Works exhaust systems?

If not, how much does your update cost?

Sorry for all of the questions, however I cannot figure out if you were hired by SW to solve this bracket breakage problem, or if was entirely your own idea???

Thanks in advance, Jay

Aug 25, 2006
Bill,

I spoke to a GT owner that does not hang out on our forum. He was considering an upgrade on his exhaust system and did not want to go with a GTsaver Classic system (I can easily understand this!). He then asked me about what I thought of the other systems available. There was some talk about the Accufab and the Stainless Works systems. I mentioned that an upgrade was currently underway for the Stainless Works system, so he wanted some clarity on this.

Are the components that you recently machined for only your customers?

Since he is out of state, is this update available on all new Stainless Works exhaust systems?

If not, how much does your update cost?

Sorry for all of the questions, however I cannot figure out if you were hired by SW to solve this bracket breakage problem, or if was entirely your own idea???

Thanks in advance, Jay

Hi Jay

Great questions;

First of let me be clear that I was "NOT" hired by Stainless Works to design and fabricate the retro kit but rather I made them aware that such a system is "REQUIRED" as the result of a known failure on a system that I sold to a Forum member and then the subsequent testing that followed.

I have the Stainless Works system on my gal and enjoy it every moment whether looking at it or the wonderful sounds that emit as such I designed the aka retro system for my gal and communicated with Stainless Works through the process. They supported it from a mechanical standpoint and even shipped me some hardware to test with that sadly would not work however they did NOT support the process from a financial standpoint. I allocated the time, purchased the materials, and contracted the machinist to complete the system.

Thus far I have shipped by FedEx a retro system to every person that purchased a system through me or as the result of my recommendation at my expense and even though every GT owner that I shipped the retro kit to offered to pay me I have no interest in such a payment because I feel that in selling or recommending such a system preemptive validation was my responsibility and not that of the end user.

In this case I feel that Stainless Works dropped the proverbial ball by not completing real time testing nevertheless I still feel that the system is a good one even though there are some internal issues that they have to finish addressing; I say finish because in chatting with them they assure me that this process is ongoing at this time.

So to answer your primary question; if your associate were to purchase a Stainless Works system and they have not followed my lead by furnishing such a mounting system as I have forwarded the parts list and bushing specifications to them then I will gladly furnish a retro system to him as well.

In closing one of the members called me today after receiving his retro kit and shared that it was painless to install; only took a few minutes and then was able to watch the growth and contraction of the exhaust as it was heated and then allowed to cool. He said that it fit and worked perfectly

Takes care Jay

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bill,
We all should realize that when we are early adapters of new tecnnology we take certain risks. PLEASE let us at least reimburse you your costs for the tune up kits you have sent us. PLEASE BILL!
God Bless America,
daniel

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Bill, You are way to nice, :thumbsup please send Bony the bill for my upgrades:rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bill, You are way to nice, :thumbsup please send Bony the bill for my upgrades:rofl

No issues:thumbsup :lol :thumbsup Hell, send me all your bills, why not?
:banana :willy :bs :bs :bs :willy :banana

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Stainless has shipped my new coated H-pipe and attachment kit, a pleasure to do business with someone who gives a damn.

Aug 25, 2006
I have a minor update to share

One of the folks that I recently shipped a retro-kit for the Stainless Works exhaust "H" pipe mounting did not receive the Delran clear/white machined washers as shown in the pirctures shared earlier in this thread but rather he received black Viton washers and wanted to verify that they were correct.

In a word; yes

During the final stages of the thermal testing during which time I had my system in and out several times I found that the Delran would stress crack under the pressure applied when the exhaust contracted back into the cold static placement as such I did further research and purchased Viton washers; some are black and some are green. These allow for long term compression as will be seen when the gal is parked for an extened period of time and also have a operating range that exceeds 600F which FYI is nearly 3times the actual temperatures that will be experienced.

I should have made this post long ago but simply failed to

Takes care

Shadowman