Shadowman and FreeFlyers Boost Gauge

Aug 25, 2006
"Thank You" FreeFlyer

Let me begin by sharing that likely several ordered the custom vacuum boost gauge from FreeFlyer a couple months ago and then sadly he ran into supplier difficulties as such the process took much longer than anyone anticipated. Now having shared this when he presented this project to the Forum I immediately purchased two and now a couple months later are there any regrets; NO

Both gauges arrived with a cool CD with pictures and instructions (even though I think they could be a bit more detailed) nevertheless the package also included vacuum hose, a prefabricated harness encased in OEM style wire loom material, the 3 bar MAP, and misc zip ties. Initially the plan was for me to install the first of the two and then create a second set of instructions for Mike at Polito Ford as he was to be installing one into one of the Forum member's gals; in fact the fellow that just had the article in Modified Luxury and Exotics.

In any case timing was such that I was unable to install the first so I shipped it over night to Canada and then Mike proceeded to be the guinea pig on this project. We chatted numerous times as the project progressed and then finally last night we discussed the mounting of the proprietary MAP sensor for the new gauge. Now FreeFlyer has made the process painless through the use of a couple zip ties that will secure the MAP sensor to the upper radiator hose however being as I am I wanted it to have a bit more of an OEM look and feel to it which resulted in the mounting plate as can be seen in the following pictures. Once I completed the bracket I scanned a drawing of it to Mike at Polito Ford and he promptly had his machine shop create the piece and then "wholla" system one was completed. As Mike stated; it appears as OEM except that we now have a gauge that will sweep from 30 inches of vacuum to 30 PSI of boost wheras the OEM is limted to 15 PSI of boost and does not register vacuum or boost properly once a Mafia or other such MAF scaler is used. Once the gal was fired up everything worked flawlessly and then when the gal was exercised the boost as seen on the new gauge matched exactly what had been registered on the dyno as such we consider this project not only a wrap but also a great success.

At this point all that remained was the integration of the new gauge system into my gal as such with Mike's hands on experience I commenced.

Let me share (as Mike and I have discussed) that this is at least a several hour process because the instrument cluster must be completely removed and slightly modified; specifically two additional holes need to be drilled in a rather basic instrument brace because the securing studs for the new gauge are a bit closer together; truly NBD and the center console and the bulkhead cover need to be removed so that the custom wiring harness can be run from the instrument cluster all the way back into the engine compartment to the new MAP sensor.

At thie present time I have removed the instrument cluster from my gal and installed the wiring harness. I have fabricated the MAP bracket and mounted it and run both the vacuum line and the power source to it. All that remains is the installing of the new gauge into the OEM cluster and then the methodical process of putting everything back together.

I would rate the scale of difficulty for this project as moderate. It is not for the faint of heart and in candor we both found that removing the instrument cluster is challenging. Plenty of painters tape was throughout the process and then I suggest that you add a large dose of patience into the mix of tools used during this project.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC03482.JPG
    DSC03482.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC03496.JPG
    DSC03496.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC03506.JPG
    DSC03506.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC03510.JPG
    DSC03510.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC03518.JPG
    DSC03518.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
Thanks for the review Shadowman. Call if you need anything.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Shadowman, excellent step by step. I really like your attention to the details, especially in looking as close to OEM as possible. Very carefully thought out.:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you both

BTW I heard from FreeFlyer this morning and he shared that if I had only taken a few minute to chat with him in advance (and yes he offered) he could have saved us MUCHO effort. This is a case where I should have followed the designers lead rather than attempting the path I had never traveled but then as with most I only read the instructions after the fact and then say ...... ****

Today I will have the cluster back in place and my gal is begging to be exercised so I suspect that a moon light jount is in order

Thank you again FreeFlyer; truly a wonderful addition to my gal

All the best

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
All I can say is "PERFECT"

The new gauge was inserted into the OEM cluster and installed in my gal. Once in place all systems were fired up, including my gal's heart and even though (as with most) I will not likely spend much time looking at the gauge the fact that it works and shares real time data is awesome.

The look of the gauge face whether lite or not appears as OEM so once again a heartfelt "Thank You" to FreeFlyer for creating this masterpiece

"IF" you are one of the many using a Mafia or other such MAF scaling device whether because of the smaller pulley, the Whipple, or TT this is a wonderful piece worthy of consideration

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC03525.JPG
    DSC03525.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC03526.JPG
    DSC03526.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 255
Thanks Bill for letting me be your guinea pig :lol I think you dropped your gauge and are blaming it on getting damaged in shipping just so I could stand on my head first..... just kidding it was not as painful as we are describing as you can see from Bills pics it is an amazing product that no GT should be without :thumbsup congrats to freeflyers for a job well done.

Mike

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Bill for letting me be your guinea pig :lol I think you dropped your gauge and are blaming it on getting damaged in shipping just so I could stand on my head first..... just kidding it was not as painful as we are describing as you can see from Bills pics it is an amazing product that no GT should be without :thumbsup congrats to freeflyers for a job well done.

Mike

Mike working with you on projects froiim afar is always my pleasure

BTW: I was able to get not one but "TWO" wire ties in that space designed for very little people as such you still need to add one more to your customer's gal ....

Have a great week-end and thank you again for working with me on this project

Shadowman

I will put a second wire tie on Monday but you should start working on your Nu Nu project :rofl

always a pleasure Bill

Mike

Aug 25, 2006
I will put a second wire tie on Monday but you should start working on your Nu Nu project :rofl

always a pleasure Bill

Mike

As they say "proof of Life" as such I expect a picture

BTW I just received an email from ?? regarding..... yep..... Nu Nu

It would appear that it will be sometime before I can rest

Good night

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
mine is installed..... :) done deal!

KRAZYPSI

Permanent Vacation
Jan 13, 2007
As they say "proof of Life" as such I expect a picture

BTW I just received an email from ?? regarding..... yep..... Nu Nu

It would appear that it will be sometime before I can rest

Good night

Shadowman

Rumor has it Nu-Nu likes to wear Manzeeeers!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great Job Michael ( FreeFlyer )!! :cheers .
I can tell you that any one who has taken on a specialty GT project like this invests a lot of time and effort for the little payback. Great write up Bill. I'm on the list for one but I'm still at stock boost for now...:bored

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
awesome! how do i get one?

Aug 25, 2006
awesome! how do i get one?

PM FreeFlyer as he is the man with the cool gadget

You will be VERY happy

All the best

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Again, BILL, thanks for adding the SHADOWMAN TOUCH, building your bracket today.

Also, finally figured out who the Canuck is.... :)

Aug 25, 2006
Again, BILL, thanks for adding the SHADOWMAN TOUCH, building your bracket today.

You are VERY welcome; it is nice working with Evan and your gal from afar.

As for the Canuck... LOL.... He is a good man

Takes care

Shadowman

KRAZYPSI

Permanent Vacation
Jan 13, 2007

I wonder who it could be??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
turnabout,.. very fair play :)
we met on the internet, another car site, they don't know me as BONY there....