Self-defense-handgun-ammunition-ball-FMJ-or-other

What do you carry in your handguns?

• Total voters

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I have to believe that the muzzle flip is much greater with a 357 vs 38.

As far as carrying, living in CA I don't get to... :(

I carry. I'll trade with you. You can carry a gun, I'll live in the Bay Area.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My 5.56 only as a 1/9 barrel so I don't think it will stabilize 75g bullets too well.
With a 1/9 twist barrel, I would use something like 5.56mm Hornady TAP LE 55 Grain GMX Barrier ammo for home defense. Winchester also has some really good 55-65 grain 5.56mm rounds.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
My 5.56 only as a 1/9 barrel so I don't think it will stabilize 75g bullets too well.
That's very true.
Depending on your goal, I have seen the heavy bullet .308 loads bounce off the berm with a head wind at 1000 yds.
That's when it's time to step up to the 6.5/284, .338 Lapua, .284, or even the .260.
Happy Shooting!
My Best,
Mark

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"If you want to see flash try a .460 with suppressor putting a 200 grain bullet out at 2000 fps."

I took my son to an indoor range last month. He was shooting his Glock, I had my Colt Defender. Thought the .45 ACP+P was loud until a guy a few slots over pulls out a ... 454 Casull, with a 4" or 5" barrel. OMG! I had to wear ear muffs with the ear plugs!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I carry. I'll trade with you. You can carry a gun, I'll live in the Bay Area.

You can live in the Bay Area, its a choice. Your job here may initially pay less and housing will either cost 2x to 3x compared to what you have now or you have to live in a 2x to 3x worst neighborhood, where you will really need a CCW but can have one.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
"If you want to see flash try a .460 with suppressor putting a 200 grain bullet out at 2000 fps."

I took my son to an indoor range last month. He was shooting his Glock, I had my Colt Defender. Thought the .45 ACP+P was loud until a guy a few slots over pulls out a ... 454 Casull, with a 4" or 5" barrel. OMG! I had to wear ear muffs with the ear plugs!

I hate indoor ranges. Too much noise. I once shot a 50AE borrowed from the next lane indoors. Shot two rounds, the recoil was much less than my 44mag revolver, but the noise and pressure waves shook up my innards and wasn't pleasant all all.

That's very true.
Depending on your goal, I have seen the heavy bullet .308 loads bounce off the berm with a head wind at 1000 yds.
That's when it's time to step up to the 6.5/284, .338 Lapua, .284, or even the .260.
Happy Shooting!
My Best,
Mark

One day I hope to try shooting a 1000 yards with my 26" 308 with a 11 to 1 twist rate using 175g SMK bullets loaded to about 2600 fps. From what I read it should work OK but not the best for that range.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You can live in the Bay Area, its a choice. Your job here may initially pay less and housing will either cost 2x to 3x compared to what you have now or you have to live in a 2x to 3x worst neighborhood, where you will really need a CCW but can have one.

And you can get a CCW with ease. Live here. It's a choice;) Seeing as you're not constrained by your occupation, you can live wherever you choose. You could afford a mega mansion here for the cost of your Northern CA home but suffer the stench, heat and stifling pollution. But hey, you can carry a firearm!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
And you can get a CCW with ease. Live here. It's a choice;) Seeing as you're not constrained by your occupation, you can live wherever you choose. You could afford a mega mansion here for the cost of your Northern CA home but suffer the stench, heat and stifling pollution. But hey, you can carry a firearm!

We both are correct and both made reasonable choice based on our unique circumstances.

Property values in the Bay Area are rocketing up all most as fast as sonic blue during the last year. I think a lot of foreign money is coming in fearing confiscation in their country.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How far can 9mm get the job done?

[video=youtube_share;_wXFf34bB34]http://youtu.be/_wXFf34bB34[/video]

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
If the 9mm is so good, then why...

I never heard any say that a 12g lacks effectiveness.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/07/03/army-wants-a-harder-hitting-pistol.html

One of the major goals of the MHS effort is to adopt a pistol chambered for a more potent round than the current 9mm, weapons officials said. The U.S. military replaced the .45 caliber 1911 pistol with the M9 in 1985 and began using the 9mm NATO round at that time.

Soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have complained that the 9mm round is not powerful enough to be effective in combat.

"The 9mm doesn't score high with soldier feedback," said Easlick, explaining that the Army, and the other services, want a round that will have better terminal effects -- or cause more damage -- when it hits enemy combatants. "We have to do better than our current 9mm."

The MHS will be an open-caliber competition that will evaluate larger rounds such as .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If the 9mm is so good, then why...

I never heard any say that a 12g lacks effectiveness.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/07/03/army-wants-a-harder-hitting-pistol.html

One of the major goals of the MHS effort is to adopt a pistol chambered for a more potent round than the current 9mm, weapons officials said. The U.S. military replaced the .45 caliber 1911 pistol with the M9 in 1985 and began using the 9mm NATO round at that time.

Soldiers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan have complained that the 9mm round is not powerful enough to be effective in combat.

"The 9mm doesn't score high with soldier feedback," said Easlick, explaining that the Army, and the other services, want a round that will have better terminal effects -- or cause more damage -- when it hits enemy combatants. "We have to do better than our current 9mm."

The MHS will be an open-caliber competition that will evaluate larger rounds such as .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

Well, if you're going to cherry-pick the article for one side of the story, how about a little counterpoint?

Larger calibers, such as .40 S&W, have significantly more recoil than the 9mm making them much harder for the average shooter to shoot accurately, he said.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."

Many law-enforcement shooting incidents have shown this to be reality, he said.

"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."[/I]

Who the heck believes that? If his shot placement was that poor, 2 bandoleros of 9mm would not have been enough. Highly unusual for someone to complain about the stopping power of a .45.

My dear friend Gary, it's simple. 9mm = V6 Mustang. Yeah, it's ok, but why would anyone but a girl want one when the GT500 exists.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That's a poor analogy. Put your GT500 up against a Cobra Jet (and check your email, you missed a great lunch today) .

A better analogy is why use a 12 lb sledge hammer when a ball peen will do. The right tool for the job.

I thought those Iraq vets did a nice job of putting 9mm pistol on target at 200 yards.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm just busting your chops. I carry a .38.

I had to work (again) today. Sorry I missed lunch.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The type of carry ammo may be relevant for those in FL or MI, but for most of us in CA it doesn't matter, no CCW.

When at home I use a 12g end of story. Why use a 4 banger when you can use a supercharged 5.4L. :lol

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Well, if you're going to cherry-pick the article for one side of the story, how about a little counterpoint?

Larger calibers, such as .40 S&W, have significantly more recoil than the 9mm making them much harder for the average shooter to shoot accurately, he said.

"I don't think anybody would argue that shot placement is the most important for terminal ballistics," Langdon said. "Even though you say a .45 is better than a 9mm, it's still a pistol caliber. Chances are if it is a determined adversary, they are going to have to be shot multiple times regardless of the caliber."

Many law-enforcement shooting incidents have shown this to be reality, he said.

"I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."
Pistols are defensive firearms.
Use one to fight your way to a rifle or 12G.
Best,
Mark

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Here are great video for Xcentric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVBYlHsIRY

If you are that good of a shot a 22LR would work almost as well with less weight, size, recoil, noise and expense.

For those of us that aren't that great of a shot under pressure, 9 to 12 OO pellets to center of mass is a great option.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I wrote a long response, and then thought, wtf? Civilians thinking they have military requirements?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Civilians thinking they have military requirements?

People who reside in places like Detroit or Chicago very likely do hold that view - and with good reason! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Stopping an assailant is not any different in war or a domestic "war" zone. The other guy is trying to kill you and you are trying to stop that from happening.