Searching for connector that mates with gray radio harness connector

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Since I've been unable to located the rest of the door harness's (parts not even listed in parts book) to make my McIntosh Stereo build complete, I'm going to try to fit an aftermarket radio in the car. The blue connector is McIntosh; the Gray connector is for base radio. I've been unable to locate a mating connector. No numbers on the connectors (very unusual) and I've tried Mouser, Digi-Key, Yazaki, Cutchfield, etc..... to find a mating connector to the gray one. Wondered if anyone has any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2611[1].JPG
    IMG_2611[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2615[1].JPG
    IMG_2615[1].JPG
    888.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2614[1].JPG
    IMG_2614[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Got your PM asking about my search from an old topic. At that time it was right after I'd gotten the car and I'm not totally sure I remember what I was trying to accomplish but here's a guess...

My car came with the McIntosh radio, meaning it also had the subwoofer and amp between the seats. Maybe I was looking to replace the head unit with a more capable system with bluteooth etc.

I was never able to find a connector that would adapt the main car connector to anything, even a pigtail, nor was I able to find a matching connector that I could make my own pigtail. I was unwilling to cut off the wiring harness end connector (in case I ever wanted to revert). It seems the radios all come with a connector the head unit with pigtails and the installers simply cut the old connector off.

I gave up and was actually quite happy with the sound from the McIntosh. I remember driving through Hygiene, CO one sunny Saturday morning and the radio station was playing Comfortably Numb. I literally cranked the radio volume to the max. On most systems the speakers would go into overdrive. Not on the Mac/GT. The sound was spectacular. The only thing that happened was that every pedestrian within a two block area gave me a thumbs up :) Oh and it rattled my innards.

So I guess the question is, did your car originally come with a McIntosh or did you acquire the pieces and parts, e.g., speakers, woofer, amp separately and you're trying to upgrade the sound system from the base to the Mac?

The reason I ask is the question of, even if you can find the connector, whether the amp is compatible with a third party head unit...

Last edited:
Reactions: HNS

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Long shot, as there is nothing listed on their site, maybe try calling:

Equally long shot if not a longer one, the OEM division of Mac is still around, but the brand has changed hands a couple times, so , who know if they would be of any help.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
I'm one of the crazy guys that did the chassis group buy a few years ago so like several others, I'm building from parts again.
So I collected as many McIntosh parts as I could but still missing the door harness wires that run between the crossover boxes and apparently the door speakers. I have the amp too but I was going to relocate the center "Boob" subwoofer someplace else. I have not been able to locate/source/identify the wires that run in the doors so time to look for alternative radio plan.

Attachments

• IMG_2623[1].JPG
    IMG_2623[1].JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2620[1].JPG
    IMG_2620[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: digman1 and spartan

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Did you try calling Mac?

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Call Ford and ask what these connectors fit; 9U2Z 14S411 ZA and 3U2Z 14S411 RNA. In pics they're gray male 12pin connectors.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
GT@50 --Thanks much - it sure looks correct!!! Found on Amazon. Just ordered it. Love you man!

Attachments

• IMG_2645[1].JPG
    IMG_2645[1].JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: B.M.F. and GT@50

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Also found on ebay using the 3U2Z 14S411 RNA parts number

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Also found on ebay using the 3U2Z 14S411 RNA parts number
They are different parts that look similar in my catalog. I hope one works out for you.
https://www.ebay.com/p/76339125 The RNA shows to fit amp
https://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-replacement-Pigtail-WPT-1047-9U2Z-14S411-ZA/dp/B087F5GFX6 the ZA shows to fit sunroof

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
The 3U2Z 14S411 RNA Connector was a perfect fit. Thanks to all. I can now wire up an aftermarket stereo into the GT.

Attachments

• IMG_2719[1].JPG
    IMG_2719[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2720[1].JPG
    IMG_2720[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020