Scary Track Collision

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think Lotus spun in a turn and then started back the wrong way on the track... whatever happened it makes you remember why safety is paramount.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thats Limerock Park, CT, I drove it a year ago today.

The Lotus was stationary; would have been fatal if they were both under full throttle; head on

Looks like the Mitata hit offset, rode up and slid on its side (watch rearview mirrior of the camera car).

Last edited:

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
It looks like the other drivers didn't slow down after the incident. I would assume there would be red flags going off at every station. Is it normal to keep driving at speed after a collision like that?

ItsOnlyMoney

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
Celina, Tx
whatever happened it makes you remember why safety is paramount.

More of a reminder, to me, as to why I don't put my car on the track. :frown

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is it normal to keep driving at speed after a collision like that?

Until the flags come out!

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Guys,

Having been a member of the SCCA for almost 30 years I can tell you that the standard practice is to race until the flags tell you not to race. An accident like this would likely produce a red flag, but may have just produced a local yellow if there were no significant injuries. Fortunately the cars did not stop immediately on impact. That jump and slide for the Miata is a lot easier to withstand than the very high G's of a true head-on impact. I hope all involved were okay.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This was at the SCCA national 2 weeks ago, indeed at LRP. I was not there, but the reports I got was that everyone survived with out major injuries (couple day in the hospital, though).

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
You can see the corner worker waving the flag at those three guys before the accident. Did not seem to be slowing to me.

Glad to here it was not fatal.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
This thread includes details from the Miata driver on his surprisingly recoverable injuries.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=97501

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Been there" with the broken back. Depending on where/how EITHER was broken (neck or back) he could be in for either a few months on the sidelines or...:willy:willy:willy

Rockstar

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2009
Golden, Colorado
That is way too scarry! Go to www.wreckedexoticcars.com and you can see some really sad stuff.