Safe seating for a child in an 05 GT

One of my grandsons is coming for a visit, and I want to take him for a fairly long drive (200 miles). I have the stock car seat anchor hardware. He is 10 yo, stands 4'6" and weighs 65 lbs. I am a little concerned that he may be a bit too small for safe seating. He's too big for a car seat (and would probably be offended to have to sit in one!) although a booster seat might work. Does anyone have experience or advice about this? It would of course be good if he could see out of the windows, but I don't know if he's tall enough without a booster.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Found this online... Children under age 4 must be properly secured in a child restraint system in the rear seat, if possible. They must then ride in a booster seat until they turn 8, weigh more than 80 lbs., or are taller than 4 feet 9 inches. Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi, I used the bottom of a car seat with no back and also have used several towels, want safety but yah He wants to see out the front, Steve

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Also Vincent, just thought of it, I also used a stiff square pillow in seat bottom to raise kids up, seat belt worked even better actually, with Moms approval of course

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did you happen to read your owners manual?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Both of our kids absolutely were in the car seats. Use the key to turn off the airbag.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
We’ve used bubblebums for years and they work great for children of that age and size. They are basically an inflatable seat to raise the child up to the proper height for the seatbelt. Another plus is it won’t cause any damage/wear on the seat. Check it out:

Thanks for all the replies, they are helpful. I can't get to to the owner's manual right now, it's in the car and unreachable. I will look at it ASAP, though.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Used a child backless (and armrest free) booster pad over a medium size microfiber towel with a seat belt tether when the boys were larger than the child safety seat. And yes, turn off the air bag with the key, if they are not of air bag safe size and weight.

This might be a jumping off point, although my booster is not listed. I can't personally vouch for or against these, look for the safety ratings and consider the shape and how that fits the bottom of your GT seat.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
OK, so this weekend went on a 2.5 hour drive to try to reset my catalyst test for smog (grrrrrr...) and took my 4 year-old. No dice on getting the catalyst to "ready" but I did learn a few things about taking kids in your GT:

1. Install car seat front-facing and use the belt to secure it in place. Don't put it in rear-facing.
  2. Use a protector pad under the seat to protect the leather.
  3. Turn off the passenger airbag. If you haven't done it, it is slightly counterintuitive: When you insert the key and turn it 1/4 turn clockwise, it won't stay there. You have to keep it turned against the spring tension, then remove the key WHILE it is turned...then it will stay in the off position. I actually had to look it up in the manual to figure that one out! Lol.
Hope that helps!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
No dice on getting the catalyst to "ready" ...

Did you run the drive cycle sequence? I've found that if I follow this sequence:

for the first pass trying to hit the highlights and then when only one or two are not ready, run the SPECIFIC sequence. I had trouble getting the Catalyst too and this cleared it up. The problem is to find a street/highway that is conducive to that kind of sustained driving.

By the way, I believe California still allows one "not ready" (as does Nevada), with the exception it cannot be evap. If you only have catalyst give the test a shot.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Did you run the drive cycle sequence? I've found that if I follow this sequence:

for the first pass trying to hit the highlights and then when only one or two are not ready, run the SPECIFIC sequence. I had trouble getting the Catalyst too and this cleared it up. The problem is to find a street/highway that is conducive to that kind of sustained driving.

By the way, I believe California still allows one "not ready" (as does Nevada), with the exception it cannot be evap. If you only have catalyst give the test a shot.

Thanks Tony! Yeah, I did try that. Unfortunately CA requires the catalyst to be ready which is always the most difficult for me. The EVAP can be incomplete and still pass.

"Most 2000 and newer gasoline powered vehicles are subject to stricter rules. A 2000 or newer model year vehicle will fail the smog inspection if any monitor other than the EVAP monitor is incomplete."

Trying to find an area conducive to run the exact test is difficult. That's most likely my problem. I wonder has anyone set up a dyno to simulate these driving conditions and get these cars ready to pass? I would pay for that kind of service and then go drive the car like hell afterwards!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Tony! Yeah, I did try that. Unfortunately CA requires the catalyst to be ready which is always the most difficult for me. The EVAP can be incomplete and still pass.

"Most 2000 and newer gasoline powered vehicles are subject to stricter rules. A 2000 or newer model year vehicle will fail the smog inspection if any monitor other than the EVAP monitor is incomplete."

Trying to find an area conducive to run the exact test is difficult. That's most likely my problem. I wonder has anyone set up a dyno to simulate these driving conditions and get these cars ready to pass? I would pay for that kind of service and then go drive the car like hell afterwards!

I'd heard that CA (and eventually NV) will essentially require all of them to be ready. I'd heard it was 2020 for NV. Right now, Nevada allows one not ready, and mine was catalyst. It took a long time to get it through all of them and I got all of them except catalyst It's still not ready. It's just impossible with the traffic light system in Vegas to get a steady speed. (In fact, it seems they lights are deliberately UNsynchronized, as if they want you to hit every light red.)

If you get it be especially careful if you have to change the battery. Disconnecting the battery will reset everything and you will have to start over. If you plug in the factory battery tender (into the radio-bezel plug) that will hold the system long enough to replace the battery without losing the settings. (Be careful and wrap the positive terminal with electrical tape while changing the battery to prevent a short against the chassis.)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Page 55-65 in your owners manual. Download it to your computer or phone from the Ford website.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Our youngest use a booster seat for waaaay longer than he needed to, because he liked to be able to actually see out the windshield. "JCThorn"'s wipers helped also. He sure is tall enough now...