Runway event in Russia - will the GT TT be the fastest!

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
OUCH Frank he is mean:cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Decided not to have car 13 - unlucky number :)

Did some highway pulls this weekend vs SLR and modded GTR (about 570 hp)
At about 180 mph my front lip came off (the middle screw attaching the lip got torn out! and in the 2nd video I was racing the SLR with a huge hole in the front of the car with air going in to the underbody (was like a huge parachute!!!) but i was still a lot faster!
The starts were done from 60mph - 1st vid was from 3rd gear - 2nd vid from 2nd gear. Sorry for the quality - the cameraman was not too good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1hLrJqcnAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrDkeO1OwnI

Keep 'em coming!!

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
make sure to use the hoosiers

dont bother with the ps2s

Alex911

FORD GT OWNER - FROM RUSSIA TT FGT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah I already have a set of r6's on it :) I will take the PS2's just in case. With +15C outside i get wheelspins in 3rd when using the ps2's- really scary.

Alex911

FORD GT OWNER - FROM RUSSIA TT FGT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Some good news- guess who signed up for the races?

#55 Bugatti Veyron к 111
Now it is getting interesting :)
The bad news is that I can't get a hold of Jason to send me the 109 race gas tune :( I don't want to run vs Veyron on pump gas eek. But I hope within the next 2 days he will send me the tune!

Mar 15, 2006
some good news- guess who signed up for the races?

#55 bugatti veyron к 111
now it is getting interesting :)
the bad news is that i can't get a hold of jason to send me the 109 race gas tune :( i don't want to run vs veyron on pump gas eek. But i hope within the next 2 days he will send me the tune!

i know the vp fuel dealer for russia. Let me find his email and i will send it to you.

Aug 25, 2006
It will be an interesting event

IMO tires are always an issue when at such a speed and even more so when traveling 2 miles; a one mile run has the gal coming up to speed and the second mile has her at speed and pushing a wall of air truly churning away.

The Veyron has tire designed for these speeds with a tire life expectancy of approximately 20 minutes however the GoodYears, Hoosiers, etc are (as I understand) not as such what to select for the other gals is IMO a significant question.

Certainly some of the gals mentioned are designed to withstand this activity while others are simply tweaked to go fast. The stress in mile two IMO is extremely high; scope and magnitude when compared to mile one and is something that should be considered.

Takes care and be safe out there

Shadowman

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
It will be an interesting event

IMO tires are always an issue when at such a speed and even more so when traveling 2 miles; a one mile run has the gal coming up to speed and the second mile has her at speed and pushing a wall of air truly churning away.

The Veyron has tire designed for these speeds with a tire life expectancy of approximately 20 minutes however the GoodYears, Hoosiers, etc are (as I understand) not as such what to select for the other gals is IMO a significant question.

Certainly some of the gals mentioned are designed to withstand this activity while others are simply tweaked to go fast. The stress in mile two IMO is extremely high; scope and magnitude when compared to mile one and is something that should be considered.

Takes care and be safe out there

Shadowman

Presumably heat is the ultimat issue?

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
At the Texas Mile in 80 degree weather my tires never became more than slightly warm after a run.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Perhaps an input from Mark McGowan would be helpful here, as he ran the Nardo car at over 200 mph for a significant amount of time - I believe this was not only to show the capability of the FGT, but also to demonstrate the capabilities of the Goodyear tire design.

Aug 25, 2006
Perhaps an input from Mark McGowan would be helpful here, as he ran the Nardo car at over 200 mph for a significant amount of time - I believe this was not only to show the capability of the FGT, but also to demonstrate the capabilities of the Goodyear tire design.

There is no doubt that Mark can share much however on a track at speed versus a 2 mile run of simply having the go pedal hammered down, particularly the second mile creates a different set of issues.

Have a great time folks

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Nardo Ring

From Wikipedia:

The Nardò Ring, is a high speed test track located near the town of Nardò, in the southern Italian region of Apulia, in the province of Lecce.

The track is 12.5 km long (just under 7.8 miles) and is perfectly round, has four lanes for cars and motorcycles totaling 16 meters in width and has a separate inner ring for trucks at a width of 9 meters. In the cars/motorcycle ring the lanes are banked at such a degree that a driver in the outer most lane need not turn the wheel while driving at speeds of up to 240 km/h. In essence, at the so called neutral speed which is different for the four lanes, one can drive as if in a straight lane. However extremely fast cars still require the steering wheel to be turned when going faster than the maximum neutral speed. For example the Koenigsegg CCR which set a speed record for a production car at the Nardò Ring did so with the steering wheel at a 30° angle. This speed record has since been beaten by the Bugatti Veyron at a private Volkswagen long straight line test track in Germany, and hence the CCR only holds the speed record for the Nardò Ring. In the process of fighting a turn as needed when going faster than the neutral speed quite a bit of potential top speed is lost and hence a fast car will go faster in a straight line than what is possible on the Nardó Ring. Even at the neutral speed in a banked turn a car runs a bit heavier than it would in a straight line, since the downforce created by the banking increaces the rolling resistance on the tires. There has only been one fatality at the ring.

The neutral speed for the four car/motorcycle lanes are respectivly:

Lane 1 - 100 km/h (~62 mph)
Lane 2 - 140 km/h (~87 mph)
Lane 3 - 190 km/h (~118 mph)
Lane 4 - 240 km/h (~149 mph)

During regular weekly working activity the maximum speed allowed on the circular track is 240 km/h. Higher speeds are only allowed at times when a client gets the track for its exclusive use.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
RALPHIE

Good information shared however you state;

"There has only been one fatality at the ring"

In what time period RALPHIE as I have friends that live in Adenau and I am told that sadly many lives have been lost to the drawn of the ring.

Takes care

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
RALPHIE

Good information shared however you state;

"There has only been one fatality at the ring"

In what time period RALPHIE as I have friends that live in Adenau and I am told that sadly many lives have been lost to the drawn of the ring.

Takes care

Shadowman

Bill - this was straight from Wikipedia, which may be quite a bit behind in their updates - I have no knowledge of the actual number of fatalities, but just quoted the source without leaving anything out. I only added the the conversion to mph from kph.

Aug 25, 2006
Bill - this was straight from Wikipedia, which may be quite a bit behind in their updates - I have no knowledge of the actual number of fatalities, but just quoted the source without leaving anything out. I only added the the conversion to mph from kph.

Hi RALPHIE

I was curious where the data came from and truly not questioning you

There have been many deaths; in fact another forum member and I were chatting a few days ago about his experience there during which (as I recall) a van full of folks went the hard way.

The locals do everything possible to keep that which happens there; there as they all see the hand writing on the wall; meaning the day of the uncontrollled section of the toll highway will not be forever.

Takes care

Shadowmnan

Aug 25, 2006
The greater question;

It is now the end of Day One of the event as such what were the activities like?

FYI it is presently 6:30PM on the 9th of May in Russia

Takes care

Shadowman

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the veyron is one car by which all others are measured......

Aug 25, 2006
I like the veyron...... very much

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Many times Wikipedia is to "straight scoop" what ebay is to car values.:thumbsdow

H

HHGT

Wikipedia is based on what people enter in it. It is a good source of info but by no means the Bible.