RPM question

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Was in a little speed run and picked up a noise that didn't belong. Not sure if it was speed or RPM related. I could back in and out of the noise but never tried to run thru it.

At 180 in 6th gear, RPM should be ballpark what?

Thanks.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Was it low buzzing or resonance ?

I know over 100mph shifter cables vibrate and if rubber bumpers aren't aligned in tunnel there's noise (different from rattlesnake noise)

Saw some posts on it early in first few years

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do a search for rattlesnake noise.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
speedingear.jpg

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
How much NM is needed to reach topspeed in 6th gear ?

Not that I am ever going to reach that though :)

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I can tell you that when we ran 278.2mph in the mile we were still in 5th gear.... :)

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Thanks all for the input. Actually sounded like a tin margarita mixer with BBs. Rattler buz is close if made of tin.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
I can tell you that when we ran 278.2mph in the mile we were still in 5th gear.... :)

I was cruising in 6th just looking to radar at 200. Had about a 6 mile run - plenty of time.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
How much NM is needed to reach topspeed in 6th gear ?

Not that I am ever going to reach that though :)

NM?

And you will not reach top speed in 6th gear...

and thanks Xcentric. It is amazing how many questions are answered by just reading the book (SAE PT-113, see Figure 24 of report 2004-01-1252 found in PT-113 for the graph Xcentric posted).

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner

Newton Meters, metric for horsepower.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Newton Meters, metric for horsepower.

Newton Meters is Torque (foot-lbs in English) . HP (English) is Watts=joules/sec (Metric)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Tony is correct.

This is why I asked.

Nautical Miles?

Always good practice to define an acronym the first time it is used as the reader may have no idea of your jargon.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Newton Meters is Torque (foot-lbs in English) . HP (English) is Watts=joules/sec (Metric)
Roger that...brain dump. I really know this from engineering school as I had to take the class twice!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is SAE torque in lb-ft, or ft-lb? or does it matter? I was taught that in SAE that Work was measured in ft-lbs, and Torque was measured in lb-ft.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Tony is correct.

This is why I asked.

Nautical Miles?

Always good practice to define an acronym the first time it is used as the reader may have no idea of your jargon.

Next time you are in Dearborn around Ford people, mention PDC (generically) in a sentence. It can be a person, place or thing. :rofl

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Since none of you guys seem to really work, I guess it is hard for you to define.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Doesn't matter. They are equivalent. One pound acting on a one foot lever arm around a pivot produces the same amount of torque and work.

untitled.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Well Gary, kinda.....:wink

You are correct that the labeling of Torque can be ft-lbf or lbf-ft. It is like 5x2=10 just as 2x5=10.

And because Torque and Work (force through a distance) do have the same units, you have to be careful.

From Wikipedia-
“"Foot-pound" is sometimes also used as a unit of torque (see Pound-foot (torque)). In the United States this unit is often used to specify, for example, the tightness of a bolt or the output of an engine. Although they are dimensionally equivalent, energy (a scalar) and torque (a vector) are distinct physical quantities. Both energy and torque can be expressed as a product of a force vector with a displacement vector (hence pounds and feet); energy is the scalar product of the two, and torque is the vector product."

If you apply 100 ft-lbf through your torque wrench on a head bolt (and it does not rotate) you have applied a "torque" to the fastener but you have not done any "work". The torque can be modeled as a force “couple”, two equal but opposite forces acting at the bolt head in equilibrium and each force located at a distance of 50% of the total length of the torque wrench.

If you apply the same torque to the bolt head and the head turns a certain degree of arc (given as φ in the attached figure) then you have done work on the bolt head.

This result can be understood more simply by considering the torque as arising from a force of constant magnitude F, being applied perpendicularly to a lever arm at a distance r, as shown in the figure. This force will act through the distance along the circular arc s = rφ, so the work done is

W = Fs = Frφ

Notice that only the component of torque in the direction of the angular velocity vector contributes to the work.

Attachments

• Torque Picture.pdf
    202 KB · Views: 15

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That explains why I get tired without doing any work. ;)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I prefer fig Newtons. And not too much work.

Another Prof. Bill lesson, thanks. Well under 300 words!