Rotational growl coming from axle cv or wheel bearing ?

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers/ tips on hunting down the cause of a growl that starts around 40 mph and gets louder the faster you go. It seems to be connected only to road speed ( in or out of gear, under load or coast make no differance in the sound) Once I'm going over 40 mph the only thing that will change the tone of the growl is if the road turns. If I steer slightly to the left the sound almost goes away, if I turn to the right it gets louder and of course its in between that when going straight down the road. I'm guessing its an axle ( there are no clicking sounds though either ) or wheel bearing but what side would you look at first ? Thanks, TP

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Have ubhad axel bolt TSB Done?

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
I'm not sure, I just got the car about a month ago. I have been meaning to take my VIN to the dealer and see if it has been done or not. Is there another way to tell by looking ? Do the new bolts say anything or have certian markings on them I could tell by ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Some people here know dealers who can run your VIN

do some searches, as there are photos

It's usually a fail or non-fail situation

There was a separate axle fluid seal issue which is what i was thinking....

Either way should have all fluids changed if it new to you

Lots of sounds are just related to exhaust tone or Ricardo transaxle which has a rattle snake or chain rollover at idle which people note

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I would guess its the actual Hub

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I was thinking of a front wheel bearing....sounds can emanate from locations.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The wheel bearings are encompassed within the hub.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Have you raised the car (and you need to be careful about locating the correct jack points) and tried to rotate the wheel by hand?

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
Have ubhad axel bolt TSB Done?
I checked with my local dealer It has had the bolts done

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa

If it is indeed the bearing what side do you think would be the best to check first ? Taking into account the noise going away when turning left and getting louder when you turn right ?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Differential fluid checked; change is 5000 mi?

H

HHGT

Do you know the history of the car? PPI at the time of purchase? How many miles? Brake pads? E-Brake? Throw-out bearing? I would check all the obvious first. Good luck.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Don't rule out a tire issue.

AJK

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area

+1 also, after a run.....put hand close to both wheels..(do not touch)....the one that is HOT...is the bad bearing...and probably hub.....

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
OK guys, Thanks for the ideas I'll let you know how I make out

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Growling noise

I had a similiar problem and replaced the rear wheel bearing seems fine now

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
PM shadowman. Any strange thing or noise I allways contact him and he's allways spot on.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
OEM Goodyear tires can be quite noisy <20 mph; at times had me thinking bad wheel bearing. Bridgestones eliminated the problem.

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
OK Guys thanks for your imput so far. I have now found that the RR wheel flange has got between .008 and .009 runout, the manual shows .001 as the max allowed, so I'm thinking I found the source of my noise and brake shutter all at once. How much is involved in replacing the hub and bearing assy ? Can I get inside at the 4 bolts that hold the assy to the knuckle while its still mounted to the car ? I just looked at it quick and it don't look like there is enough room to get a socket in there to get at all of them while the suspention is all the way extended ?

Thanks for any imput you may have, TP