Rocker Panels

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi All,

Two questions. Has anyone noticed if your rocker panels just in front of the rear wheel have a small indentation or two? Does anyone have a diagram from the shop manual showing how the rocker panels are anchored on the car?

I have 2 tiny dents on the driver side and one on the passenger side within the same area (where the rocker panels curve out a little to stay with the shape of the body of the car, right in front of the rear wheel arch). I noticed them ~ a month ago when the GT was on the lift and the rocker panels were at eye level. My initial thought was that the small dents perhaps were caused by me taking the apexes a bit aggressive and ran over the cone, and maybe the rubber base of the cones bounced up and hit the rocker panels, when I used to take the GT on trackdays (haven’t done it with the GT for a few years now, since I bought the Ariel Atom for track duties and an Exige before the Atom…). Anyway, I had a paintless-dent vendor came over the house to remove these tiny dents. Upon inspecting the rocker panels, he said these small indentations are instead probably caused by the anchor brackets beneath the panels because 1. The “dents” look like they are being pulled in, hence he thinks when the car was being assembled, the anchor bolts might have been put on a tad too tightly, and 2. If the dents were caused by me hitting the rubber cones, there should have been some marking on the protective film, which there isn’t any; plus, the rocker panels can not be dented by hitting something because the rocker panels are plastic.

Now I’m curious if other GTs also have these tiny “dents” at the curve section of the rocker panels. And, if the paintless dent guy is correct, I should be able to bring the GT to the dealer and have them to “relax” the anchor brackets inside the panels, right? Thoughts?

Thx

GTED

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
They are all the same way to some degree. Normal.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
I always knew that the rockers are some type of plastic similar to the bumpers

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Seems there is some variance from car to car, some I have seen are shocking, there is some adjustability there, You need to remove the side vent and there are 3 torque head bolts that secure the rocker panel to the frame bracket, which is also adjustable, you may need to release the lower pan bolts as well, Some cars have the rocker panel flush with the door and 1/4 panel. some stick out up to 1/4 inch,, There is also 2 pot rivets along the kick rail below the door, may need drilling out and repositioning the whole panel,, They are a nightmare of a car for getting the shut lines perfect(which is one of my Idiosyncrasies. Some also have an extremely large gap under the right hand door, and you can see the bundle of pipes where the door meets the 1/4 panel. I have spent hours and hours making adjustment to get mine looking right, but still not perfect in my eye..

Tomcat

GT Owner
This is one draw back to having a lift...a car on the lift exposes a lot of areas (that would normally not be seen) to the sight line and glare of the garage lights.