Robertson Racing Ford GT on podium at Le Mans!!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Moderator's Note: All 3 Le Mans Robertson Racing threads have been merged here into one thread.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-realization-of-a-dream-for-the-robertsons

Georgia-based squad hopes to gain second race entry to 24 Hours of Le Mans...
John Dagys | Posted April 22, 2011 Le Mans, (FRA)

This weekend’s Le Mans Test Day marks the realization of a lifelong dream for David Robertson. The 55-year-old retired commercial pilot, along with wife Andrea, will make their debut on the hallowed French grounds on Sunday, driving one of the sport’s iconic reincarnations, the Ford GT.

While the husband-and-wife duo, along with road racing ace Boris Said, have no chance of repeating Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt’s overall win here in 1967, one of four victories for the legendary Ford GT40, the popular American privateer squad has attracted quite a fanfare here at this weekend’s official test day.

“There’s a certain amount of awe just being at the place and knowing what has gone on here before,” David Robertson told SPEED.com. “The hotel we’re staying at has pictures of the race from the ‘60s and ‘70s, where we can see the previous generation of this car. That heritage matters to us and we’ve been aware of it for some 40 years.”

It was that 1967 race that Robertson, as a young boy, saw on ABC’s ‘Wide World of Sports’ that opened his eyes to endurance racing. Forty years later, David and Andrea began racing in the club ranks, with the vision of some day making it to Le Mans.

And here they are, with a two-car effort to boot in this weekend’s test day.

While the Andrew ‘H’ Smith-led squad’s second Ford GT, comprised of David Murry, Anthony Lazzaro and Ford Racing standout Colin Braun, has yet to gain a race entry, as it sits as the first reserve in the GTE category, there's hope of it making the race.

“It’s great to have both cars here and see both cars go around the track [on Sunday],” Smith said. “Whether we get both of the entries or not, who knows? We just may not know for a long while. It’s good that we’re here and at least giving it a go. We’d just love to get both cars in.”

The team has pulled out all stops of making its Le Mans debut a success. They skipped last weekend’s American Le Mans Series round at Long Beach, their first non-appearance in over two years, to get both of its Fords prepped and shipped to France.

With only one of the 24 GTE-class entrants needing to pull out prior to the race, the Robertson's are optimistic of seeing both cars take the green flag in June.

“I don’t know when the last moment will be feasible to bring people from the States and get them here,” Smith said. “I would like to think that after this weekend, somebody goes, ‘I’m out’ or someone doesn’t make it through the test or didn’t show up. I don’t know the answer to that one. The sooner, the better is what we need.”

John Dagys is SPEED.com’s Sportscar Racing Reporter, focusing on all major domestic and international championships. You can follow him on Twitter @johndagys or email him at askdagys@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
May the old gods make new heros.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
May the old gods make new heros.

And may the Ford GT CRUSH the competition.

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
It looks like both cars and drivers made it into the big show, waiting on the offical call. Congrats to all the team.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great story, congrats on their sucess so far!

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Sponsorship opportunities are available for LeMans and the rest of the ALMS season.

http://www.robertsonrace.com/sponsorship.html

http://www.robertsonrace.com/press/le-mans-special

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Sponsorship opportunities are available for LeMans.

Done, and good luck!!!

Last edited:

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Sponsorship opportunities are available for LeMans and the rest of the ALMS season.

http://www.robertsonrace.com/sponsorship.html

http://www.robertsonrace.com/press/le-mans-special

Just made my Le Mans donation. Best of luck to all at Robertson Racing.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Just made my Le Mans donation. Best of luck to all at Robertson Racing.

Ditto to the above. Team CB has donated and wishes I could be there for the race. Go Robertson.

Chip

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
In for 2 here!

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Our Robertson Racing Ford GT-Pro car #69 (Murry/Lazzaro/Braun) is now the first reserve. Be it an LMP or GT entry.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Le Mans donation sent.

Best of luck from Copenhagen!

Cheers
Anders

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Just put some pics up on the facebook page from LeMans.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!...0051247010.269545.325975992010&type=1&theater

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Very Cool.

Robertson Racing,

I am sorry that my business is so poor that I could not make the trip this year. But the pictures you put up of our names on your car have made my day. The best of luck to you for a class win at Le Mans. I look forward to meeting you and your team later this year.

Chip "Charles Beck" :biggrin

Lemans 2011.jpg

Lemans 2112.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I might actually have to join Facebook.

Thanks H!

And thanks for posting them here, Chip! See you in SLC.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Did the 2nd car ever get accepted for the race?

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Did the 2nd car ever get accepted for the race?

No, not yet. There is some speculation that the Aston Martin LMP1 team will not show up and it was "tweeted" yesterdays by SpeedTV.com reporter John Dagys that the car "might" still get in. We are not holding out much hope at this time. Longtime Robertson Racing David Murry will join Dave and Andrea in the car replacing Boris Said in the GT-AM car for LeMans. Well, at least we got the "pro" car ready for the ALMS round at Lime Rock very early this year. It's going to be a very busy and very long week coming up. As well as rewarding.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Good luck - and be careful and cautious during the practice sessions.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Pics from today. On the Ford Racing Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialFordRacing?ref=ts

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Man I wish we could be there - pictures in the town square, right in front of the catherdral are great!

Go Team Robertson!