Roadwork/Lloyd Mats, dump the OEM rubber mats

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I just got my Lloyd Heavyweight mats from Roadworks. They fit great. I decided to take out the original rubber mats. I didn't like the rise in the mat, that took up more space in the foot well and I don't see any point in that. Also the rubber mats were very heavy. I probably saved more than 10 lbs in dumping them. The only down side is that rubber mats are probably much better at sound deadening than just the Lloyds. I haven't drove the car yet with the rubber mats out so I don't know if it really makes a difference.

BTY, the Lloyds mats cover the fuse panel, offering protection for it from the passengers shoes.

BlackICE

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
The replacement mats must be VERY light then. I recently got a set of them for a member and I inspected them and I didn't think they were that heavy. :confused
Not doubting you but I am shocked you saved that much weight.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I didn't have a scale handy, so that is a estimate for the savings for both mats. I will post the real weight saving when I get a chance to weight them. I think the number may even be more. Those rubber mats are really heavy compare to the carpet.

BlackICE

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
BlackICE said:
I decided to take out the original rubber mats. I didn't like the rise in the mat

Did it damage the originals when you took them out, or did they "just come out"?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The passenger side just lifted out. The drivers side seemed like it was glued down a bit, especially near the pedals. But with a little work that came out without any damage. Just start at a loose edge and put your hand underneath and start working it loose.

After I got the drivers side out it, I didn't see any glue residue though.

BlackICE

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
I guess the name brand of the mats is what threw me off a little.
HEAVYWEIGHT makes you think just that.
If they are just carpet then I could understand them being lighter then.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
BlackICE said:
I just got my Lloyd Heavyweight mats from Roadworks. They fit great. I decided to take out the original rubber mats. I didn't like the rise in the mat, that took up more space in the foot well and I don't see any point in that. Also the rubber mats were very heavy. I probably saved more than 10 lbs in dumping them.

BlackICE

I need to lose 10 pounds (probably more like 20) :biggrin but I'd like to keep the stock rubber in place and work on my diet. How do you think the carpets would fit over the standard rubber ones?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Yes they fit over the rubber mats. Most people on the forum install them that way.

BlackICE

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
BlackICE
could you post a picture of the floor mats installed?
Desi

BlackICE said:
Yes they fit over the rubber mats. Most people on the forum install them that way.

BlackICE

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I don't think the pictures would show much, black mats on black interior. I guess the fit around the pedals may be useful and showing how the passenger side covers the fuse panel cover. A good feature!

BlackICE

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Desi, there are pictures already on this site from several months ago. Do a search for floor mats. Nice pictures of two different sets, some for the rear too.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I like the stock mats

The stock mats are cool. They really made it look like a race car when I first saw them. Of course, I also like the look of the stock Mac stereo. It's retro like the GT.

Ed