Road Racing Setups

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
TrackDay said:
Hi Bony, Do you mean Canepa offer a conversion for the GT as opposed to a “kit”?
I believe it is very involved to run a cooling duct to the front brakes on the GT.
Lot’s of thing such as the radiator coolant lines, etc. have to be modified / moved / relocated in order to run a cooling duct to the front brakes.
The flex hose and modified backing plates themselves are easily had / modified but getting the flex line from the front grill and to the inner wheel well is quite difficult.
Curious what their “kit” involves.

As I understand it is a complete kit, they can install it as well, please give them a ring for all details.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Those that are running Hoosiers; are you using the stock sizes or did you go wider?

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Enjoy Those Track Days!

Hi Stefan,
Brakes:
You said it my friend. With the added speed you have to adjust your braking (brake harder and or earlier) to scrub things back down to the safe corner entry speed. Every 5 mph means big changes need to be made and it takes getting used to. The stock brakes work and work well but braking consistently and repeatedly from 160+ mph is demanding. My first year with the car on the track I could get 2-3 days out of a set of brake pads. My second year with the car on the track and I only get one day out of a set of pads (but using Hoosiers now too).

Cooling ducts have helped but it was a very involved installation and I’m still only getting one day of track use from a set of pads.
Honestly speaking though my expectations now are at a level of “race brakes” so the stock brakes are truly very good brakes considering how much abuse they are taking at the track.

FRRP offers a two piece rotor that provides additional cooling advantages but I’m not sure how much this will translate into longer pad life and these rotors are very expensive ($1,000). Anyone out there using the FRPP two piece rotors that can provide an opinion of them (braking performance, pad life, rotor life, etc)?

Still looking for a larger front calipers (6 pot vs 4 pot) and pad combination that offers significantly increased contact area with the hope this will add to significant longer pad life under the same track stress.
A few brake kits exist out there but the kits I’ve seen require rims with more clearance than the stock rims. I already own 8 Forged BBS stock rims (4 of which have the Hoosiers mounted on them). So, I’m reluctant to buy 8 more rims just to accommodate larger calipers for use a few days a year on the track.

The other option is to try more aggressive custom made pads for the stock 4 pot calipers. Yes the rotors will take a bit more abuse with a more aggressive pad but until we try it who can say what the effect is on rotor life. Right now stock rotors last me 2 days at the track due to formation of stress cracks not wear.

Tires:
The Hoosiers are available from www.tirerack.com give them a call or send an email. They are an excellent company and their technical staff should be able to answer when Hoosier will have a slightly revised tire for the GT available. I can say that the existing Hoosier “slick” is a great tire (although DOT approved for all intensive purpose it is a slick). I’ve been using these since the spring. I’m getting very good wear and have had the car in a 4 wheel drift on more than one occasion (not of my choosing) without the tire giving up suddenly so it was “controlled” and they did not break loose suddenly. So it was not an overly stressful incident. It’s after the fact when you have time to think that you say things like “Oh my goodness, don’t want to do that again”.
Only one size is available for the stock GT rims. However, this is the tire that was tested and made for the GT. So, use the Hoosier pressures suggested here and you will be able to make a few tinny changes to dial your GT in to get the maximum possible.

Enjoy!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Florida Chris said:
Those that are running Hoosiers; are you using the stock sizes or did you go wider?

Stock

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
SLF360 said:
This starts to be my favorite thread...
1) details on the GT specific Hoosiers please, and where I can get them
2) what about the brake duct opening. Very interested, indeed !

cheers

Stefan

PS: Here in Italy no one knows nothing about the FordGT... Ford is not even able to service them, Ferrari helps me out - they love the car (as much as I do)

Stefan

As Trackday stated tires available from TireRack.

Also brake duct opening requires moving some of the cooling fittings on the passenger side. Not familiar with the Canepa kit, so I do not know what they do or don't do.

The brake cooling duct does hit the tires when making tight turns.

Dave

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Feedback

Baron - I think the "feed back" from the road-wear groves is more a function of the low profile and stiff Pirelli’s - assisted a bit by the new camber/castor. Not sure it would be the same on stock Goodyear’s.

I'm running stock size Hoosiers that I get from Bob Woodman tires in Beaufort, SC. Bob is "THE" Tire Guru. See him at www.bobwoodmantires.com He can assist with set-up and most handling issues. He's very knowledgeable and he won HSR's Group C last year! A very tough class. Super nice guy to boot. And for you boat guys - runs a 28' Moppie!

More on my track adventure next week. By the way - I'm up against my son in the 914-6 in the Red Group. I'm favoring the 914....@ 310 RWHP and 2,100 lbs!!

Gordo

Attachments

• 914-6 Roebling Road_lo_res.jpg
    914-6 Roebling Road_lo_res.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 153

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hi Gordo,
The Hoosiers make a big difference and I suspect they provide a noticeable improvement even over the Pirellis.
Great photo of the 914. No doubt he may have the advantage in the turns but if you are on a track with some long straights or areas where you are on power for a good period of time, elevation changes etc, you’ll pull up on him like no tomorrow and your overall lap time will be lower or at least very close. As you know the individual driver can make the biggest difference based on experience level and familiarity (comfort) with the given vehicle.
Look forward to hear how your GT runs. Enjoy!

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gordo

I am familiar with Bob Goodman. Have only heard nice things about him.

Have fun with your enxt Track Day.

Dave