Rippin up some Colorado champagne pow

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Planning to be out in Big Sky this Thursday. Cannot wait.

Otis

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I'm sorry to report Otis that winter is over. It was short and not that sweet. I have been sledding for 15 years and this has been by far and away the worst winter I can remember. We have had no measurable snowfall in 3 weeks and it's been 5-60 degrees in the mountains. It is like mid May up there and nothing in sight but warm and dry. Sorry brother I would not make the trip myself.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
That's an interesting forecast - a bit different here. We got 5' of new snow on Mammoth Mountain last weekend, and forecast calls for more this coming Sunday. Late winter storms, but always welcome for the California water supply - and good sledding too.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I'm glad someone is. Everyone on Snowest has been saying it stinks everywhere. I thought I had saw pictures out there that showed one of the poorest snow years on record? Hopefully we will have some late season dumps as well if there is any base left under it when it happens.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm glad someone is. Everyone on Snowest has been saying it stinks everywhere. I thought I had saw pictures out there that showed one of the poorest snow years on record? Hopefully we will have some late season dumps as well if there is any base left under it when it happens.

We will undoubtedly get some eastern side upslope storms that will help a little with water, but the western slope didn't get much this year, and their snow season is all but done. It means we'll be running the Colorado in the Grand Canyon in cyclical low water - water flow changes constantly depending on electricity demands from southern CA. Will make the river more challenging overall since in last years constant high water lots of the rapids washed out. We didn't know how much higher it made the river until we got to Pumpkin Springs. It was completely submerged and near as we can calculate, in previous years it was 12' or so below.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Just got back from 5 days in Big Sky. Spring snow conditions, but untouched snow. Hero pulls up anything we wanted. Fun as a last hurrah. Already looking forward to next year. Nothing too extreme just a little sidehill fun.

CIMG3184800x600.jpg

CIMG3244Medium-2.jpg

CIMG3140Medium.jpg

Otis

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Skiied VAIL from last week in March to April 1st. Some runs closed, but good spring skiing if you waited until 10:30am to start the day when the snow softened a bit... The good news was during our almost 4000 mile trip, I never hit snow on any of the Interstates and had 90 degrees in Kansas and Missouri !
andy (AJB)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Skiied VAIL from last week in March to April 1st. Some runs closed, but good spring skiing if you waited until 10:30am to start the day when the snow softened a bit... The good news was during our almost 4000 mile trip, I never hit snow on any of the Interstates and had 90 degrees in Kansas and Missouri !
andy (AJB)

You must have missed NOT towing something (like a GT) on that trip.