Replaced Stock Sanyo Radio!

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wanted to get XM in my car, and the ability to use an Ipod, vs. the factory (OEM standard) Sanyo unit which made neither possible. Went to Best Buy, which has done three XM installs to handle the whole thing. Went with a Sony unit, (CDX-GT300) ($139.00) which has more power than the factory Sanyo unit, and allows for XM compatability with a xm tuner box and controller box which is also required ($100 in total more).

This unit allows one to change channels on XM, see the selections, etc. on the face without using another unit like the "roady" etc. Also allows for direct connection with much better sound quality given that you are not going through an FM station for the input, etc. Antenna was placed between the defrost vents and windshield, and is very discreet. XM tuner was placed in front of the head unit, and the xm receiver forward of the footwell box on the passenger side, as there is not enough space in forward of the head unit for the tuner and controller.

The sony unit also has a single 1/8" input on the front panel for an Ipod or any other MP3 player (requires about a $10 cable) Unit also plays single CD's or MP3 CD's. Kept the original wiring harness plug and Sanyo unit for OEM status return if ever so desired. This unit does not allow for controlling your ipod from the unit if you also have XM as their is only one "auxilliary in" on the back of the unit....This is not a problem for me, as the radio is tough to use in its physical location down low vs. most cars: i.e. making controlling the music via the Ipod when using an Ipod actually much easier than via the head unit's controlls.

The only downside from this approach is that the ipod is not being charged simultaneously. The Sony unit comes with a remote, and that is HANDY given it is MCLONGDISTANCE to the head unit for the driver...Installed ran about $370 all in, and it sounds great and gives you all options.....The price included a 4 year warranty for the unit, which I usually never buy, but these units with removable face plates can give contact wear over time, particularly in a car that rides pretty firm.....thought it was worth the price, and the tunes and options are Great!

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Sanyo? are you sure?

mardyn

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Hmmm... I thought it was a Rockford-Fosgate for some reason. Not sure where that idea came from :confused .. anyway, I prefer almost anything over the Mac that's in mine.

mardyn

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You are both right. It's both radios in one.

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
it is my understanding that the speakers are made by Rockford, but the unit is absolutely made by Sanyo.

Griffbl

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
It says Sanyo on the box for the front panel..... Quite good sound from the speakers even without the sub woofer...

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Magintosh cars has tweeters on the pillars....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, the tweeters are in the door panel, just above the midrange. Mine sounds great. I have no complaints.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I wonder why people complain about the macintosh stereo? Mine is awesome, why would you want a car without one if you have a choice?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
jamie said:
I wonder why people complain about the macintosh stereo? Mine is awesome, why would you want a car without one if you have a choice?
The Mac stereo is great except it doesn't play mp3 discs, but the sub-woofer is fugly. I removed them both.

BlackICE

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
centerpunch said:
I think the original plan was that the standard radio would be a Rockford, but something changed, and a very basic Sanyo unit was used instead.
Were any Rockford units shipped? Anybody have one?

BlackICE

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
one of 101 said:
The Magintosh cars has tweeters on the pillars....
In my experience - BFD

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I would have much prefered to have my car with the base radio, and without the rediculous sub-woofer taking up the already limited interior space... not to mention the savings of $4K off the price.

My Mac is difficult to tune, gets poor reception, and complicated to operate... but it does sound good when you crank on it.... which is rare for me. I'd prefer something from Sony with CD/MP3, with input jacks on the front, maybe even a remote control... which could all be had for a whole lot less than $4K.

I suspect I'll live with the Mac for now.. the sub-woofer really bothers me more than the actual radio... it just not what I would expect to find in a car of this caliber.

mardyn

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
My SANYO is for sale. :wink

I have built in Alpine N333RS with GPS car navigation.

Townshend

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
One of 19 (GER) said:
My SANYO is for sale. :wink

I have built in Alpine N333RS with GPS car navigation.

You guys in Europe get all the cool nav systems! There is really no US equivalent of that bad boy.

BTW - Personally I would keep the Sanyo for resale with the car. If you ever go to sell it, you never know if you will get some collector that wants everything stock.

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Townshend said:
You guys in Europe get all the cool nav systems! There is really no US equivalent of that bad boy.

BTW - Personally I would keep the Sanyo for resale with the car. If you ever go to sell it, you never know if you will get some collector that wants everything stock.

That is why I kept mine! Sure like the new set up though, and it can be done with LOTS of options, for just a few hundred bucks....the single best mod I know of at this point. Satellite Radio is simply addictive.

Griffbl

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
We bought a family car a few years ago. It came with a 30-day trial of XM. After 30 days, they had an assured subscriber. We then bought one for the other family car, two for the office, one for the home audio system and have been considering the Roady/2 for the GT (have it sit in the front seat webbed pocket). Since the "trunk" is the only part that is fiberglass, it may be possible to put the antenna there.

But you are quite correct, the satellite radio experience is very "addictive." There is so much there that you can never run out of things to fill in the gaps.

- doc

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Hey 'Punch,

I'm with ya on the XM stuff... My Z71 has the XM option, I've listended to the intro about twice and decided it's OK for some folks, just not for me. More listening time might change my mind on a long trip, but those are rare these days... I'll just keep my free AM & FM

Now... about this 8000 songs you have... is that capacity or actual songs... I couldn't think of even 250 songs to save... much less 8K. Wow. :thumbsup

mardyn

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Yes, that likely is the difference. I do listen to a lot of talk radio (chiefly my own conservative, right wing, John Birch, gun toting variety), but I also like chanels 5,6, 7, 40, 50, 46, 74, 112, 113, and benefit from local traffic data.

I use *.m4a encoding for my iPOD and even with 60GB iPOD, I am limited to 3k songs. I do, indeed, listen to most of those since I have an iFI (iPod stereo system) in the garage that serves as background (along with XM attached to the unit) while working on the cars.

Amazing number of songs that are written with cars as a theme.

The kids are big fans of channel 16. There is a big resurgence of country music in the mid-teens today. Back to the roots.

- doc

Last edited:

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Doc-

What is the profile of #16? Better than #11, I hope....also, consider changing that head unit, as it is cheap, makes for a simple install that is much cleaner and better sound to boot...

Griffbl