rear lamps (tail lights)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
jcthorne-

Out of curiosity, "what" burns out in the tail light?? I do not think I have seen any complaints here on the Fourm of burned out tail lights, but perhaps I have missed something.(?)

One of the advantages of Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) is their exceptional Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) relative to filament bulbs. Failure rates of LED's are orders of magnitude lower than typical bulb applications which should give us centuries of LED use without any burnout problems at typical FGT owner utilization rates.

So again I am curious what "repairs" your electronics control shop guy is contemplating?

Thanks!

Bill -

I had a case of my left rear tail light - all the LED's from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock were out, but the ones from 9 to 12 still were functional. We believe that it is not the LED's, but rather a failure of the circuit board to which they are connected.

Ralphie

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I would agree, it could be a solder joint, bad flex board etc. We need some to work with and try available techniques for repair.

Had not thought about the toggle switches, would be willing to give that a look-see to if you have a dead one you can part with.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I haven't changed out my bad toggle yet, though I've purchased the replacement. When I do I will contact you.

Howard

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I have installed used tail lights successfully All you need to do is use a hammer and punch to gently squash down the nut(which is like tin) to a smaller diameter then it cuts a new thread.. Still seems to be strong enough.. worth a go to save $1500,,

After 11 months (ordered 18 July 2013) I received the R+L tail lights I ordered last year. They look great (but why shouldn't they?). Finally got them; I was afraid they were never going to show up. I understand that Ford had a lot of trouble finding a mfg who could make them to the required standard.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I have a spare light with worn attachment posts. I am going to see if I can drill out the original posts and replace with studs, looks as though maybe even a nut from inside the light. Also have to add amber indicators for Australian ADR`s

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a spare light with worn attachment posts. I am going to see if I can drill out the original posts and replace with studs, looks as though maybe even a nut from inside the light. Also have to add amber indicators for Australian ADR`s

That should work fine. I think some others took off the post and replace with thread inserts.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I drilled and installed nutzerts where the threaded posts were in mine and used screws and they have been in for over three years now

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
Is it easy to replace the LED's on the toggle switches? How is it done?

2 of mine have failed and one is dull, I'd probably replace them all at the same time.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Is it easy to replace the LED's on the toggle switches? How is it done?

2 of mine have failed and one is dull, I'd probably replace them all at the same time.

Can't replace the light. Entire switch needs to be replaced.