Rear firewall glass replacement and

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
So after a great morning canyon cruise, I was washing my FGT and noticed that the flat glass on the rear fireweall has a hairline crack across it..Bummer! not sure when it happened because you can only see it under various angles and light. Has anyone had one of these replaced?
Also on my steering wheel horn pad, the silver Ford emblem has become cloudy ( guessing the clear coat on it) is this an easy part replacement or is it a full assembly?
thanks for any insight . :)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It seems that the folks at the last rally had a lot of problems with the firewall glass cracking. Must have been some secret Russian weapon that cracked all of them at the same time. Noone ever found a cause. Altitude cannot cause it since there is no pressure differential between the engine and passenger compartment.

As far as the steering wheel badge goes, Shelby at Elite Autos can replace it for you. You'll have to remove the steering wheel assembly. Can Shelby replace or cause to have replaced under official Ford record keeping the driver side air bag inflator? (So that NHTSA requirements so that it gets into OASIS). If so it would be a good time to have both done.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
A few people had rear inner window issues arriving/during or after the last Rally in SLC. Don't think there was ever a known/common cause.

Rich Brooks has seen these and may have some ideas for the cause.

The center emblem has been a issue for a while. People have turned to Shelby Smith who has a fix, so you don't have to replace the whole center unit.

Think it involves removing the cover, sending to Shelby. Few day turn around.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Wow it’s a SLC phenomenon. Some how my car missed the glass breaker. But the law caught me.

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
it really is strange.. maybe the huge temp swings from inside engine area to cold mountain air when windows open? Not sure when it happened, just now noticed

cleaning day :)

Last edited:

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Just curious....does insurance cover this like it does for windshield?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
A GT owner here ordered the replacement glass from Ford. Rich Roback removed the seats, panels, subwoofer, etc. Dropped of the car at Safelite Auto Glass to remove and replace window. Took several hours to replace glass and the guys at Safelite Glass said don't bring me another one of these to replace.

Last edited:

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I would think its not covered by windshield insurance. At least its a flat panel of glass.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
A GT owner here ordered the replacement glass from Ford. Rich Roback removed the seats, panels, subwoofer, etc. Dropped of the car at Safelite Auto Glass to remove and replace window. Took several hours to replace glass and the guys at Safelite Glass said don't bring me another one of these to replace.

You are correct.....I supplied the replacement glass to Rich (sourced from Ford) and he looked after the install as described. It was not covered by my ins policy although one or more members here who experienced the same malody at the rally did receive coverage.
Overall a real PITA situation....good luck ;)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Mine and others cracked at SLC Rally 12. it is a nice horizontal crack of the middle pane of glass. It looks like a thin antenna wire actually.
I am going to leave it in place and nicely cracked.
It is a story to tell and no one really notices it unless you tell them.
I said it happened on the "UMC Track while I was chasing Henry Ford III in his Heritage number 3... at Rally 12 :):)
It is a fond remembrance of a very nice Rally in Utah.

andy (ajb)

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I too had the glass crack at Rally 12. Did get Ford dealer to replace but a royal PIA. The dealer had to order glass from Ford after I presented current registration documenting ownership. They did not check the glass until their "installer" arrived WEEKS later only to find the glass was cracked. Repeated this entire senario, then waited on arrival of thin gasket material (visible at the base of the glass when viewed from engine compartment). Total time at dealership was 7 weeks!! Only bright spot was insurance did cover it.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
just wondering anyone look into getting the glass fixed? I thought there might be way of filling the crack and making it almost disappear.I had a crack on my 71 Camaro windshield and called up a guy and he came 30 min later you could hardly see it. Very faint line left after the fix. Might be a better solution than going through the trouble of changing the glass and it also prevents it from getting worse.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Soroush..
The crack is in the middle pane of the 3-pane sandwich of glass (Triple pane with the center one exhibiting the crack. )

SO you cannot get to it for any repair. The good news is that it does not have a sharp edge either inside the vehicle or inside the engine
compartment.
andy (ajb)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks AJB,

I didn't realize that was the case and yes that would make it a PIA all around

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Well that is not a cheap flat ford glass panel. 1800 installed ouch!

RaceDeck

Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Would someone have Shelby Smiths contact info for that emblem part ?

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Would someone have Shelby Smiths contact info for that emblem part ?

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I thought there might be way of filling the crack and making it almost disappear.I had a crack on my 71 Camaro windshield and called up a guy and he came 30 min later you could hardly see it. Very faint line left after the fix.

On non Ford GT related windshields, I have used those DIY window rock chip replacement kits several times, with very good results in all cases except one. But I've only used the resin for chips not long cracks. And the one that it didn't work on, was a rather large chip. It's kind of fun to do, because the results are typically quite good, and it just takes time and a hot sun to dry.