Rattle snake noise at 2000 rpms

Under acceleration or while down shifting regardless of what gear I am down shifting from at around 2,000 rpms I hear a rattle snake (valve rapping) sounding noise that I am having a very difficult time isolating. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the front of the car and other times it sounds like it might be coming from the engine compartment. Everyone hears it who rides with me but can't seem to agree where its coming from or what is causing it? In neutral standing still @ 2,000 rpms I can't hear it. Anyone experiencing anything simular?

JT

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
Refer to my post onder "vibration/rattle" in Tech site. Was very difficult to finally diagnose--but it's gone now.

MZ

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I suspect his rattle snake and my vibrating sound are the same thing...

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
I'd say it's a very good possibility.....and it should be relatively easy to have checked

Joseph Tomarchio said:
Under acceleration or while down shifting regardless of what gear I am down shifting from at around 2,000 rpms I hear a rattle snake (valve rapping) sounding noise that I am having a very difficult time isolating. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the front of the car and other times it sounds like it might be coming from the engine compartment. Everyone hears it who rides with me but can't seem to agree where its coming from or what is causing it? In neutral standing still @ 2,000 rpms I can't hear it. Anyone experiencing anything simular?

JT
Well guys I've tried just about everything on this forum with regard to my above problem. I have removed the floor panel on the passenger side and insulated the copper tubes and anything else that looked like it could vibrate. I also removed both brush aluminum door trim panels that were lose and reinstalled them with 3M commercial double sided tape. The rattle snake / jingling noise is still there and hard to define exactly where it's coming from. When I push the clutch in the noise goes away but the noise does not appear to be coming from the drive train. My best guess is something / somewhere on the passenger side. Anymore suggestions?

Thanks,

JT

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I was told it was my boost gauge. The dealer told me they were ordering it and I haven't heard from them since...

The noise really makes me NUTS! :willy

Thanks White Petunia, I'm going to give that a try. At this point I'll try just about anything. :willy

JT

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Vibration / Rattle

Joseph Tomarchio said:
Thanks White Petunia, I'm going to give that a try. At this point I'll try just about anything. :willy

JT

Joseph,

I had trouble trying to send an attachment and long reply. I'm sure it's a user error, Me! I sent something for you to look at to your e-mail.

Let me know if you've already tried this. Hope it helps.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Kill the rattle snake!

Great description of the problem I have JT.... that is exactly it being a "Rattle snake at 2K". Same issue - can't locate it!

Cars going in next week.. I'll take what albofaz, Zim32, WP, Amer SPD and what you have posted - give to the service manager and pick the car up after they try to kill the snake!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Mine is at the dealer for the same issue. Please post if you find the problem. Thanks

guywwagner

GT Owner
Sep 22, 2005
Nazareth,Pa
Joe

I'm wondering if you are the Joe Tomarchio Jr that speaks for Snap On?
Guy

Thats my brother Ned Tomarchio, however I did due a seminar with him out in Las Vegas a few years ago. I am in the Tire Business (Mr. Tire / Tread Quarters) headquartered out of Baltimore MD.

Thanks for asking,

JT

MAD IN NC said:
Great description of the problem I have JT.... that is exactly it being a "Rattle snake at 2K". Same issue - can't locate it!

Cars going in next week.. I'll take what albofaz, Zim32, WP, Amer SPD and what you have posted - give to the service manager and pick the car up after they try to kill the snake!

And all along I thought it was one of my old Vipers haunting me.

JT

bugsy

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2006
I think I have the same rattle/hissing sound coming from the dash or center console only at 2100rpm or greater.If I depress the clutch it goes away. Have you found out what's causing it?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Rattle Snake

OK, I thought I would be the only guy with this bizzare sound. Initially, I feared the worst and thought it was valvetrain/engine related. Resonance occurs in my vehicle at/above 5K rpm - very repeatable. I have not been able to isolate it, but it seems to be coming from behind the passenger seat or trans tunnel/ floor area. I'm going to try the insulate the coolant lines to see if that cures the issue. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone gets info on the boost gauge as a potential fix.

On a good note, it certainly doesn't appear to impact performance!!

Last edited:

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Rattler

Well, you can count me in the "rattlesnake" club too. Occurs at about 2000 to 2300 RPM, not super loud, but definately audible and annoying!
I can't isolate the location either, so I'm anxiously awaiting you guys having it looked at presently.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
The symptoms of my noise are similar to Cobrar's: At high RPM (above 5K) and from behind passenger seat...

Eric

Guys, I have just about had it with this noise/s and this car! I have done everything suggested on this forum and more, to no avail. I have had it back to my Ford dealer where I purchased it and they had it for 25 long days to find/fix this problem along with a list of others that just seams to keep growing. The dam noise is still there! It appeared AFTER they (the dealer) did the oil change. Here is a list of the crap with this car.

*Hood replaced because spider in the fiberglass.
*Door panels (both sides) where rattling / falling off. I fixed them myself.
*Gas filler tube replaced. This took 25 days and the removal of front fender.
*Battery needed to be replaced because of incompetence of dealer.
*Vents on rear clamshell; one replaced, the other now needs replacing.
*Two flat tires; not the cars fault but the roadside assistance SUCKS! They kept sending a tow truck (twice) thinking they where towing a god dam Mustang. I had to get one of my guys to go to Home Depot to get the four 4x4's that are needed to tow this car.
*I had to remove overspray on the entire car with a clay bar.
*Then there is this Rattlesnake noise. I have insulated and tied down eveything and anything that even looks like it could vibrate; in the cockpit, under the hood, the engine compartment and the dealer said, but they could be BS me that they have done so under the belly pans.
*I now believe the noise IS coming from the drivetrain, but I'm not sure.

*I love the looks and the performance of this car, but the quality, fit and finish is substandand and the FORD dealers haven't had any car like this nor do they know how (even with their best efforts as my dealer has tried) to deal with a $165,000 sports car. their M.O. is F150. :thumbsdow

Anybody interested in a 2005 Red with White stripes and all options. Only 3,600 tender loving miles, make offer. I guess I'll get on the waiting list for a F430 and buy a Gallardo while waiting. :confused

Thanks for letting me vent, :willy

JT

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Hey Joe, the amount of problems you're experiencing will also happen on the Ferrari and the Lamborghini as I have had many of both. What appears to be the difference here is the service and support. Ferrari and Lamborghini almost always solve the problems because they have extensive factory support to understand and solve these kinds of post build situations. Their mechanics get the information they need along with the training to properly repair their respective vehicles. It appears that Ford simply does not have the infrastructure to support the GT in the same way. It seems to me from my little interface with "Ford GT Customer Assistance" that Ford set up the appearance of a support system, but in reality it does not exist to the extent necessary to really support the vehicle. It was structured just to enough to get the cars sold. This is exhibited by the many people with problems like these that go unsolved. This was and still is main reservation about owning a Ford GT. Once you get these few items nailed down, you should be good to go, but unfortunately it's going to take a lot of initiative on us as owners to aid the process. This will likely be the way we get our cars repaired for their entire life. In my opinion way more that we should be doing. As the years go on, this will be one of dark sides of the legacy of the Ford GT. Hopefully the enjoyment and happiness we receive from the car with outweigh this disadvantage.