Rattle snake noise at 2000 rpms

jack_ct

GT Owner
May 8, 2007
Local CT dealer found my my problem after speaking with Ford Tech...I had the same rattle: 2000 to 2500rpm, independent of clutch engagement and moving or still, contstant revs or changing revs.

Problem was resolved by opening up the center console, and isolating some of the lines and cables with run through there - some of the harnesses cause a buzz. It seemed to be a quick fix and completely eliminated my noise. BTW my noise could not be localized in the passenger compartment and could not be heard in the engine compartment - lots of belt and engine noises drowned out rattle.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I know this is a real old thread but since I'm new I will tell you what I have. It is a rattle/ vibration that is only between 1800 and 2100 rpm in any gear and only with the air conditioning running. I learned to ignore this but it would be nice if it were not there. Either way it is a real pleasure to own and drive.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
U can check under dash if its a tube from firewall resonating. Some have ziptied that to silence.

Though many have the rattlesnake from ricardo transaxle...esp if its RPM sensitive

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Sorry to revive a very old thread but I think I solved the 2100rpm rattlesnake, at least for me. Had been bothering me since I got the car but just could not locate it. Until this weekend. Its the resonant frequency of the belly pans. Made worse by after market exhaust. Found 3 points where the pans were definatly contacing things and wearing so started there.

In the end I insulated with EPDM rubber foam strip all the points and lines where the belly pans make direct metal to metal contact with the frame and bottom of the transmission. Where the pans overlap, I used strips of aluminum backed Dynomat to insulate the layers. I could tell quite a difference just tapping the pans with my knuckles before putting the car on the ground. What was a tap and rattle was now a thud.

Drove the car to work today and WOW. Different car. So sweet was the song....

Driving along a city street at low rpm I actually could hear the ac compressor click on and off with the associated swish of the freon rushing trough the aluminum tubes. Very quiet, until the right foot is engaged and oh the music, so clear an exhaust note!

Sorry to yammer on but I am truly impressed with the difference. Whole new car. Many rattles other than the 2100rpm rattle snake are gone too. Just amazing.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great info! :thumbsup

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Great find!! :thumbsup Many of us have chased down the dreaded rattle snake sound.

There are other sites indentified as well e.g. requiring isolators between aluminum (fluid) tube routing, and my car had the shift cables lying untied/loose against the center tunel/console.