Random oil pressure gauge flakeyness?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Gents, took the car out this afternoon after detailing and started to notice when I would be stopped at a light that the check gauge light would come on sometimes. I was like hmmm. Then awhile later I see it do it again and scan the gauges and see the oil pressure gauge is sitting on 0. I'm like &@$?"!!!! I check the oil everytime I drive it and it's fine. Logic kicks in and I conclude if I truly had no oil pressure it would have already been game over. After getting back to the barn I shut it off and clear a spot. Get back in and start it up and it idles at 25-27psi. I pull in and sit there for a minute and bam it drops to 0. Sending unit flaking out? Gauge? Anyone seen this behavior before? Thx

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
There has been alot of issues with the sending units acting up over the last 4 years. I had to replace mine two years ago, when the needle started jumping all over the place. The good news the sending unit is CHEAP!!!

John

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Ok fingers crossed thx for the reply

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
bad grounds and low batteries have been the cause of some gauge erratic behavior.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Yes, I spoke with Kendall tonight who also suggested that as a possibility. Would that affect only a single gauge and which ground is potentially faulty?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Would that affect only a single gauge and which ground is potentially faulty?

It could...but, if past experiences guys have had here on The 'Forum are any indication - your sending unit is the most likely culprit where the oil guage is concerned.

Where the battery ground cable attaches to the frame is the usual source of "ground" trouble. Grind/sand that point and re-attach the cable and that should end MOST "ground" pblms.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Thank you sir! I was planning on waiting until I parked the car for the winter to get my lift. May have to move that up I guess. I assumed since the frame is aluminum that the battery to chassis ground would not be and issue? It's painted eh?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
PS is the oil pressure sending unit special for the GT or a run of the mill Ford deal that can be sourced at Napa?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Found this thread. Guess I should have searched first. Sorry guys.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14776.html

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Found this thread. Guess I should have searched first. Sorry guys.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14776.html

No apology needed, sir. :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Check gage light comes on with low oil, coolant, fuel.

Check you dipstick with in 5 min of shutting down

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Took the car out yesterday and today. Never had the light come on or the gauge drop to 0 psi. I can only assume that when I detailed the car Thur that I wiggled the harness and plug and caused the flakiness. I reached down yesterday before I took the car out and felt around the sending unit. Either the connection was dirty or the plug is compromised. I'll get the belly pans off soon and check everything out. I have a new sending unit on the way just in case.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
8800 miles on the odo (now 90xx), 1 1/2 years of ownership and my oil pressure gauge took a dump as I was leaving for Monterey this afternoon. Needle is pinned at zero. It doesn't fluctuate with stabbing the throttle. Just zero. No check gauge light, car is plugged into the wall whenever it is not being driven. Any chance this is a faulty sending unit or did my gauge luck run out? (admittedly, I haven't checked the dipstick yet, but I did the last time I filled up and all was fine, no puddles of oil in my garage. I made it to Monterey and my engine didn't seize:eek)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Oil pressure sending unit is inexpensive and easy to replace. It is just under your oil filter housing - best accessed with the mid-pan off. You can use an Ohm meter and check to see if it is in-range. My experience is that you have about a 25% chance that it is the sending unit and 75% chance it is the gauge. I'm hoping for the 25% for you!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks Kendall. Will order a new sending unit. Oil change coming up in a few hundred miles, will change it then. Keeping fingers crossed!!!!!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
You can get the oil pressure sending unit from NAPA or many other local auto parts stores, its a standard BorgWarner sending unit used on a large number of vehicles. No need to wait for an internet order.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You can get the oil pressure sending unit from NAPA or many other local auto parts stores, its a standard BorgWarner sending unit used on a large number of vehicles. No need to wait for an internet order.

Same part number?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Swapped out the sending unit over the weekend. Gauge is still dead:(
Hurry up, Autometer.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Feel your pain, my oil pressure gauge died last year (stuck at 25) and I've been driving blind for the last year. I do know the small gauges are done and headed for general release shortly and now that they are committed to producing the tach and spedo I've decided to stay with the stock gauges.:thumbsup

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Feel your pain, my oil pressure gauge died last year (stuck at 25) and I've been driving blind for the last year. I do know the small gauges are done and headed for general release shortly and now that they are committed to producing the tach and spedo I've decided to stay with the stock gauges.:thumbsup

Def good to hear, Steve. But does us no good until they're ACTUALLY available. Changed the oil this past weekend and it was a bit unnerving starting the car after completing the priming process. No idea if there was any oil pressure. Just pushed the start button and prayed my engine didn't seize. Rarely look at the volt meter or boost gauge. Why couldn't it have been one of those to take a dump??