R.I.P Mose Nowland

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The automotive community lost a good one today, esp the Ford community.. Mose Nowland passed and as many know he was an instrumental person in the Ford engine development department. Lots and lots of races were won with the stuff he designed and help create.

God Speed Mose

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
Gone to the High Speed Hero’s Heaven.

RIP Mr Mose.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
So sad to hear of his passing. He was a wealth of knowledge and stories surrounding the 427FE’s development. I was fortunate enough to chat with him after the 24 hour war debut at the Henry Ford Museum. I remember him telling me how they tirelessly worked to achieve reliability at 7000 rpm and the smallest imbalance translated into a catastrophic simple harmonic motion which gave them fits until they figured it out!
He will be missed. R.I.P.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Those of Us who got the chance to meet and visit with Mr. Nowland at our GT Rally in Detroit we’re very fortunate! Even after retirement he still worked for Ford Motor Co. I remember him telling us that Ford Motor Company was very good to him for many years and he was very appreciative! What a Great Gentleman! May he Rest In Peace! He’s with all his friends Now!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thank you very much BMF for alerting us to Mose's passing. He was a gentleman and had a wealth of engine knowledge. I too got to talk to him at Rally 10 and subsequent visits to the HF Museum. What a shame. RIP Nose....

SuperNova

GT Owner
Jul 4, 2013
Ashburn, VA
RIP Mose, was so nice to chat with him at the Rally and get his perspective.

Reactions: PeteK

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Such sad news. An incredible human being that contributed a tremendous amount to the field of automotive engineering. RIP Mose.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
So glad I met Mose and the time I spent listening to his exploits in decades of Ford motorsports. RIP.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Loss of an Icon for sure. My condolences to his family. Priveledge to have met him at Rally 10. Thanks again DBK for allowing us the opportunity to meet our heros. God's Grace to Mose.

Vince H

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Mr. Mose Nowland. What a wonderful smart class act with compassion that matched and surpassed his status in the automotive world.

When I was young and looking up to John Vermeersch like my big brother. Along the way many celebrities and icons of all walks of life seemed to know John. However I noticed one of only a handful of men that John looked up to and spoke very highly of. So once back in the early 80's John and I set up a Ford display at the Ford FCC building and Glass house. This man came over asking me if I knew where John was. It was Mose :) I told him over in the trailer talking with Tom Gloy and Jack (transam days). He stayed and talked to me for sometime before heading to the trailer. It was a highlight in my life. Later I took every opportunity to sit quietly and listen when he and John spoke. He leaves behind many who are better for knowing him and will be truly missed. Praying for his family as they grieve.

Tom

Last edited: