Questions on Purging Engine and Intercooler Radiators

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The upper petcock (bleeder) valves for both the Engine and Intercooler Radiators are located on the top left side behind the cooling fans shields. The petcock for the engine cooling radiator is reasonably accessible, however, the 1/4" hose I attached immediately filled with liquid and I never witnessed air bubbles escaping - this suggested that the method used was inadequate, which is worrisome. Any suggestions here?

The petcock (bleeder) for the Intercooler Radiator is located forward of the Engine Radiator and appears impossible to access. So how does one go about bleeding the Intercooler Radiator if the petcock (bleeder) cannot be accessed? I can hardly see it let alone even get my hand or any tool even remotely close enough to open / close it! HELP!!!!!!!!

One more thing, when I started the engine to fill the engine cooling radiator I discovered yet another failed gauge; my 3rd; add boost to amp and fuel gauge failures. Not a good GT day!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That bleeder isn't easy to get to, so use the recommend vacuum bleeder/filler tool to refill the systems.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
YOu have to "suck" the fluid from the front petcock to the cannister in the rear of the car to make sure there are no remaining air bubbles, similar to what they do for a diesel. It's an easy job if you have the equipment. There are posts here describing it.

Hi Guys:

I have had a problem with coolant level rising after driving and not falling back to the start point when cold. I bled the radiator using the little petcock on the upper left and was able to get virtually all the air out (the coolant level fell to the right point afterwards), and find that the petcock leaks. Not a lot, but enough to draw air into the system when cooling down resulting in lower pressure in the bottle (and therefore sucking air in past the petcock valve). Has anyone had a leaky petcock before? I have the Ford parts book figure, and it shows the petcock but not as a separate part. I understand there may be an o-ring in the valve, and from past experience it wouldn't surprise me to learn that after 7 years it has failed.

In the mean time I can drive the car if I crack the degas bottle cap after driving it so no vacuum is produced. However, this is not a solution.

Advice? Past experience? Source for new petcock/o-ring?

Thanks!
David

2005 #1638

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
How about a new system that uses logic to determine coolant flow, and air catch system? Give me some time, I am working on at least one possible solution to some of these questions.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
We use the Snap-On RADKITPLUS and it works perfectly everytime; so much so that Ford calls it out specifically by name in the FSM as the preferred method for filling the cooling systems. It makes life easy plus it will show you if a leak is present saving time and lost coolant. :thumbsup

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=643141&group_ID=681175&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have the Airlift kit. It is similar to the Snap-on kit eg1985 referenced.

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/AC550000/AIRLIFT-COOLING-SYSTEM-AIR-PURGE/

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I have the Airlift kit. It is similar to the Snap-on kit eg1985 referenced.

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/AC550000/AIRLIFT-COOLING-SYSTEM-AIR-PURGE/
+1. Works great!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I also have the Airlift kit and it works very well. So well I may use it on other vehicles.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Interesting, I bought one of these from Amazon last week for $118 prime delivery, 3 days ago it had gone up to $119, I just followed the above link to see if it was the same one and now its's $120. They are watching us.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
That's a good price. I just bought one. Maybe it will be $121 tomorrow!

Howard

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Off topic but a useful tip for those with the Airlift-the rubber bushings and conical plug that come with the Airlift kit can be used with the fittings that come with the Miyvac vacuum pump to bleed clutches at the reservoir.