Question about Sensors

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I know search is my friend but I can’t find it........
Thnx in advance
Car was ran poorly after sitting a few months this winter and threw a check engine lite.
Scanner pulled up
P0102 which is Mass Flow
P2196 02
P2198 02

1.Does anyone know the part numbers for ordering these sensors from Ford?
I’m guessing it’s just the MAF but I’ll order all three just to be sure.
2. Is the right and left 02 the same piece and the the same part number?

I have the workshop manual but the diagrams on 2 different pages give me 2 different answers.
Thnx

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would guess that both O2's and the MAF sensor did not all fail at the same time. From your brief description, I think the MAF is providing a bad output to the ECU and the result is an overly rich mixture - which was reported almost simultaneously by bank 1 and bank 2 O2 sensors.

I would recommend cleaning or replacing the MAF and going from there - its probably all you'll need.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd also zero in on the MAF. The O2 sensors have a much slower reaction time.

Here's link to part info

Best price is usually tasca (www.tascaparts.com)

Odd, the Tasca listing shows a core refund. I've never seen that on a MAF...

PS. You can clean the MAF but be careful since the wire is easy to break. If the MAF is fouled, check your air filter since it's pretty hard to foul the MAF without something getting past the cleaner.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Thank you guys. I too believe the MAF is the issue. That said I removed the air box,...looked inside my clean air tube and the air box and they were “clean as a whistle.”
My theory is that I’ll replace the MAF and see how it goes.
Additionally,...it can hurt to have a set of 02’s lying around for a rainy day.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
All the part numbers I’m getting from the Workshop manual begin with a number.
MAF is 12B579,..but I need to order AFLS-133.
Is one an engineering number and one a part number?
Thnx

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Go to www.rockauto.com

You can order everything you might need from them. (Look under Exhaust & Emissions folder.)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The ford parts site lists the part number as "AFLS133 (12B579)". There was likely a part number change.

I've been driving emissions vehicles for a heck of a long time and I've never ever had an O2 sensor go out. You'd probably be stockpiling a part you'd never use.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Anyone ever ordered GT parts from Rock Auto? Or should this be purchased directly from a Ford dealer?

Thnx again for the responses.
We really thought we would find an obstruction in the Air Box but it was not to be.
The car ran great a few months earlier and then I could tell within a moment of the first blip (at idle) that I had a problem....

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Is it stock?Do u run leaded race fuel or an additives in the fuel?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Basically stock.
Stock exhaust.
Textbook pulley and tune we all have.
That’s it’s.
Runs great on pump gas.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Anyone ever ordered GT parts from Rock Auto? Or should this be purchased directly from a Ford dealer?

No, I never ordered anything from Rock Auto - I just threw it out there to see what would happen. Give me a break.

Take a look at the site. It's unique in that it often provides you multiple different options for the same part - each at a different price point. Actual Motorcraft parts are sometimes listed. You can decide the price/manufacturer you want to go with.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
For what it's worth, I've purchased from Rock Auto with no issues. Like nota4re said, you can usually pick a manufacturer from multiple options. But MAF's are so modestly priced I would probably buy OEM from Tasca.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
All the part numbers I’m getting from the Workshop manual begin with a number.
MAF is 12B579,..but I need to order AFLS-133.
Is one an engineering number and one a part number?
Ford service manuals list the Ford part number for that general category of part. In this case, 12B579 is the Ford designation for the MAF for many, if not all, Ford vehicles. The numbers and letters before and after the 12B579 specify the exact part for the specific car. The Ford part number for the GT MAF is 4G7Z-12B579-AB. AFLS-133 is the Motorcraft part number for Ford part number 4G7Z-12B579-AB. In this case, this part number is common with the GT500.
In 1960's - 1990's, the letter "Z" meant the part was a Mustang part. Looks like Ford carried the "Z" over to the GT as a high performance car. Most GT parts contain the "Z".

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Thank you
Imagine if they (Ford) just wrote in the book
AFLS133
😀

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
For the sake of completeness,.... hopefully
The front 02 sensors
XC2Z-9F472-BA,...........everywhere I’m looking I get a part number GU2Z,..and after that it looks like the number for the rear sensor 9G444 which goes to the cat.

Anybody got info on that in case I need those?
I ordered the MAF from Ford btw

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
For the sake of completeness,.... hopefully
The front 02 sensors
XC2Z-9F472-BA,...........everywhere I’m looking I get a part number GU2Z,..and after that it looks like the number for the rear sensor 9G444 which goes to the cat.

Anybody got info on that in case I need those?
I ordered the MAF from Ford btw

9G44 is the basic part number. Meaning the number in the middle of the part number. Those are called downstream Hego's (Heated Oxygen sensors)