Purchased GT: Now which exhaust system?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I thought the clamshell vents were associates with the Hessessey/Heffner exhausts that curve up to the same heights but with no insulation. I really don't don't know, I liked the look of the billet vents more so it wasn't even a question of "if I should change them."

It seems the warped vent issue is mostly a result of generating very high engine temps followed by immediate shutdown with no air flow. The polls seem to show no strong correlation between warped vents and type of exhaust system. As far as I can tell, the stock exhaust is fairly well insulated and dissipates heat over a large area. Regardless of type of exhaust, a hot run should be followed by a cool down. Failing that, open the clamshell until everything cools.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I love the sound of my accufab. Really liked the look and build quality of the Heffner I had before. The new Cool-Tech sure looks like it would offer the best of both. Having owned both, I much prefer the sound of an X to an H arrangement on this car. Very different notes.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have the FRPP (Borla) muffler. It sounds great (no droning) and has the neat "Ford Racing" logo embossed on top. However, after hearing the Heffner cat back on a friend's car, mine sounds a little too tame. Regardless of the exhaust you choose, do the license plate stand off mod to get a little more airflow. Can't have too much airflow back there.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I also have the Ford (Borla) muffler - along with the Ford long tube headers (no cats). Really love the sound - not too loud at low RPMs but awesome at WOT!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I love the sound of my accufab. Really liked the look and build quality of the Heffner I had before. The new Cool-Tech sure looks like it would offer the best of both. Having owned both, I much prefer the sound of an X to an H arrangement on this car. Very different notes.

if you could, can you explain the difference in sound between x and h pipes?
thanks

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I also have the Ford (Borla) muffler - along with the Ford long tube headers (no cats). Really love the sound - not too loud at low RPMs but awesome at WOT!

And No droning at any RPM (at least in my experience).

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The H is a bit more 'harsh' or edgy. Has a crackle to it that is ok but... The X is a much deeper note and smoother. H sounds angry, X more refined but all business. About the same sound level overall. I have detected no drone with either of them. My car has stock manifolds and cats.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
The H is a bit more 'harsh' or edgy. Has a crackle to it that is ok but... The X is a much deeper note and smoother. H sounds angry, X more refined but all business. About the same sound level overall. I have detected no drone with either of them. My car has stock manifolds and cats.

Thanks for the response. Guess I will have to park beside 06fordgt and listen to both. He has the "x" and I have the "h"

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I've got the FRPP exhaust but that tubi exhaust sounds much much nicer.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Are you guys describing the sound you gear from the cabin or the sound people hear as you blow by them?

JKR

GT Owner
Here is mine with stainless works headers and stock cats...Not too load but just loud enough..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tnQCxPa14

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Here is mine with stainless works headers and stock cats...Not too load but just loud enough..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tnQCxPa14

Agreed. sounds great.

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
HEFFENER EXHAUST MAN ALL THE WAYYY !!! btw ive had my gt since 2009 , and i thought of changing the exhaust since tht day until now i ordered mine cuz i just
think its worth the weight save and to reduce the heat on the body as I LIVE IN KUWAIT temp shoots to 55 celsius n i need tht i think go for the heffener i say if u still didnt made ur choice

ALLRYZE

GT Owner
Mar 10, 2012
ATLANTA
So many pipes.... So little time...... I've got STILLENS and it's downright nasty. Not sure if the cops are looking at the car or the fact they hear me coming and going a quarter mile away. Some drone at low RPM as others but barks like a mad dog when the boost hits. I did for the temp drop as well but necessary with pulley and more fuel. If you move your rev limiter to 7,400 it may shatter the windows on a ZR1 Vette. No offense Chevy guys. I used to be one too.