Pulley

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I think it is a good question. Do you literally have the 2.5" pulley installed on the KB?? I think that is the smallest (highest boost) pulley that was available with the kit - which intially included 5 pulleys. If you have the 2.5" installed I think you may be running a LOT of boost. I would really recommend putting the car on a dyno where you can check not only boost levels but you can validate the air/fuel ratios to insure your car is safe.

I do think that with the exhaust system that you have it may be very hard to detect pinging.
Kenne bell website says 21/2 inch is 18 lbs.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Kenne bell website says 21/2 inch is 18 lbs.

Yes. It also talks about 100 octane (I can only get 93 here). Don't want to trash a great engine - but also *love* the power its set at.

I need to find a dyno shop here in Minneapolis so I can have it checked in the spring - and adjust if necessary.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Torrie - do you ever come to the Minneapolis area??

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I travel anywhere customer needs are so yes.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've been doing some digging on the pulley situation. The details are a bit hard to come by because this was done in 2006, and the Ford dealership this was done at has changed ownership. According to the dealership, the new parts (KB snout and 2.5" pulley, throttle body, headers and exhaust) were installed by the dealership as part of "Ford Motorsport Kit", and came with the appropriate "Ford Tune".

Does anyone have experience with this kit - (the 18 pounds of boost) - and can you confirm that this is compatible with 93 octane (or even better 91 octane) fuel?

Additionally - in talking with the people at Kenne Bell - they stated that their tune (for their snout and pulley) would not work with the long tube headers - which seems to confirm to me that Ford put this kit together and supplied the appropriate tune for this setup.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
My guess the Dealer assembled these pieces and probably just used the Ford Racing tune which would have been the only one available thru Ford / Ford racing unless they pulled in someone from the outside to tune it and called it their own. Either way your best course is to still have all of this validated properly.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My guess the Dealer assembled these pieces and probably just used the Ford Racing tune which would have been the only one available thru Ford / Ford racing unless they pulled in someone from the outside to tune it and called it their own. Either way your best course is to still have all of this validated properly.

Thanks Torrie! Most likely I'll get you out to Minneapolis this spring (still trying to find a dyno shop here locally) to validate.

I believe they used the Ford tune - they definitely sound like they just went with what came from Ford. Do you have any information on the Ford racing tune?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Not a problem, I can help however you need me too whenever you are ready. The Ford racing tune is a good fixed calibration but it’s essentially setup for the diameter pulley that they supply with that kit which is much larger than the one you are currently using.