Private Pilots License

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Thought I would post this here as I have read numerous posts about flying here on the site.

I have wanted to get my pilots for a number of years and think I have the time to dedicate to it now.

I have been doing some web searches for information and there seems to be a bunch of Ipad apps etc that help you with your flight planning, tracking, weather monitoring etc. I have read various forums and opinions on a bunch of them both positive and negative.

Can any of you recommend any websites or apps that would be of help for someone learning?

I am assuming the Canadian qualifications and the US qualifications will be nearly identical so that shouldnt be an issue.

This would of course be in addition to the training etc through the flight school. My hope is that I can learn the tried and true method of charts etc but then progress into the digital era as my abilities improve. We all know the one thing we can count on is a computer malfunction when we least want it.

Thanks and I appreciate the help.

Steve

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
That's awesome! Congratulations on your decision. Flying will reward you the rest of your life regardless of your level of participation. It all starts with the relationship with your local instructor. Visit all the local flight schools available to you and pick an instructor that shares your enthusiasm and that you believe truly wants to help you through the process. The process is lengthy and weather and personal schedules often change, so you want someone that is flexible and that makes it fun. Tomorrow is my 40th anniversary of having a pilot's license and I still think about the first couple of guys that taught me. My advice, and advice is only worth what you pay for it, don't worry about training aids right now. Go find the right instructor and get in the air. He will be your guide. Have fun.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Agree with Wwabbit. I was lucky to get time at age 16 or maybe earlier. Been with a number of instructors. Not all are equal but at least find one that you hit it off with. The rest will then come together at your pace. Get ready to have a blast!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Steve,

+3 on what was said above. Forget the computers and apps and gizmos. Your instructor will guide you there and you can't make an intelligent decision on any of that until you are flying. I'd be like trying to buy accessories before you have picked out a car. Just start flying lessons and get up in the air. I've been flying for 33 years and it never gets old. From hot air balloons to supersonic jets, from ultralights to helicopters, I love it all. Flying is one skill that can take an ordinary guy like you or me, and make us somewhat extraordinary. Worldwide, less than 1 out of every 7500 people can pilot an aircraft. Even in the US which has more pilots per capita than anywhere else, fewer than 1 out of 600 people are pilots.

I have never met a man who earned his wings and regretted it, but I can't count the # of people I know who regretted never learning. Good for you and best of luck.

Chip

Last edited:

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks guys, I look forward to working on this over the next few months. I will let you know how it goes.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I would try and schedule 3-4 lessons @2 hrs. per week you will lose some for weather. A good instructor is key, look for one who is happy teaching not just waiting for a airline gig. Morning training is always better, smoother and less weather worries.

The King videos are very helpful with concepts.

When you are ready for the FAA written exam there are some cd based training programs to help learn the written test.

Lots of flying is the best way and stick with one plane all the way through your private. You can learn other aircraft after your licensed.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Flying is a wonderful experience and the memories you will create will be treasured. As others have mentioned, your instructor is key to the experience. Mine was a very talented and experienced fellow. He came highly recommended by several clients I was working with, so he was not out of a FBO, however, my ground school was through my local FBO.

Think we hit it off because we both had interest in cars and of course air planes. Early in my training, some really crap weather rolled in and the lessons canceled for the day. I suggested we go out to the airport and I'd wash and wax the belly of his Cessna 172. Pretty much sealed the deal on my extra training. Lots of IFR time for just gas money. Learned a ton about aviation from this fellow. Long dual cross-country trip was from Olympia, WA to Oshkosh, WI for the air show. During and after that trip, it seems all my training came together and I felt like I had earned a huge reward. My instructor is still a great friend. Hope you have the same or a better experience. Good luck and happy flying!

DJ

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Steve,

+3 on what was said above. Forget the computers and apps and gizmos. Your instructor will guide you there and you can't make an intelligent decision on any of that until you are flying. I'd be like trying to buy accessories before you have picked out a car. Just start flying lessons and get up in the air. I've been flying for 33 years and it never gets old. From hot air balloons to supersonic jets, from ultralights to helicopters, I love it all. Flying is one skill that can take an ordinary guy like you or me, and make us somewhat extraordinary. Worldwide, less than 1 out of every 7500 people can pilot an aircraft. Even in the US which has more pilots per capita than anywhere else, fewer than 1 out of 600 people are pilots.

I have never met a man who earned his wings and regretted it, but I can't count the # of people I know who regretted never learning. Good for you and best of luck.

Chip

Wish I could have stated it as well as Chip.

Agree with all - the instructor is so important! Especially in the early goings when you are drinking out of a fire hydrant.

Flying. Aviation. It really is special.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
Colton
1 Find a good instructor you like.
Get your medical certificate it is your student pilot cert. Your instructor will know a good flight surgeon.
2 Ground school either via a class or a program like King dvd program (study at home on your computer).
3 Don't buy apps like ForeFlight (canadian charts available) until you are ready. Check it out with your instructor. Learn to fly the plane first.
4 After your private pilot keep going until you get your instrument ticket. It will make you a better pilot.
5 Have FUN.:driving::thumbsup