Price/Collectibilty of Low Mile Cars Vs Drivers & Multi-car Ownership

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
As you may know, I'm trying to learn about these fine cars as I approach a purchasing decision. In alot of ways, this car is unique. Looking at the market, there are a great number of cars available with delivery miles or miles below 1,000. And a large group with around 2,000 miles. So, I assume many original buyers were speculators. Admittedly, I am looking at the Driver end of the market, where frankly there aren't many choices.

Many of you are multi-car owners, which is quite the phenomenon. You are passionate about the car and you obviously are looking toward collectibility. So are all your cars the low miles variety? Or do you have 1 put-away car and 1 driver?

How do you see the collectibility/pricing difference between low mile cars and driver cars over the next 5-10 years?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Well, I have a Scuderia which I paid more for than my FGT; The FGT ( I have a very low mileage car circa 1,500) is at the prevailing price of my scud which has a little over 3 thousand miles. FGTs will outpace the price of the Scud next year. I have had several Ferraris and its appears that they tank big time at 10,000 miles. Nothing wrong with them,but buyers have preconceived notions about some exotics. Believe the case for the FGT is different, and if price retention is what you are looking for,get the GT.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If you are looking to drive it and enjoy it, rather than parking it as a pure investment (which most cars are not), then personally I would look for a 5,000-10,000 mi car that was owned by 1 person, with all documentation and a good PPI. My car has 12,000 mi and drives as well today as when new.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
If you are looking to drive it and enjoy it, rather than parking it as a pure investment (which most cars are not), then personally I would look for a 5,000-10,000 mi car that was owned by 1 person, with all documentation and a good PPI. My car has 12,000 mi and drives as well today as when new.

Same situation and totally agree. I have a Heritage under 2000 that I drove a bit and a white which I put 11,000 on. Can't tell a bit of difference in the cars. As time goes by, I suspect mileage becomes less important except for the true collector. If I was to buy another, I would get a blue with 5000 miles plus and drive the piss out of it.

Put 25,000 miles plus on a GT and maybe lose $30k??? So what? The definitive " can't put a price on a good time"

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I happened to find a superlative low miles Heritage and stole it, and I drive it like I stole it.

Low mile single owner cars get a premium because you don't have to worry about the stories. In 20 years it won't matter so much.

I feel sorry for someone who bought only one Ford GT and parked it. Multiple car owners get an excuse. My Heritage was from a two car corral. It had 1300 miles and now I have about 3000. Still low miles, but maybe not low for a "museum heritage". I'll not be babying it. Even thinking I might do the "GTX1" ("roadster") conversion after a few years and get a whole new experience.

Bottom line, if you plan on driving it, get one with a few miles or don't pay a premium for a low miles car. I'll alert you that a very low miles car can have issues - I had to have my Supercharger rebuilt after the front bearings went out. The rebuilders assertion was it wasn't driven (<300 miles since early 2008 before I started driving it in late 2011/2012) and didn't lube the front end.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The true pleasure of owning a GT is knowing it intimately.It is truly of wonderful machine to get intimate with.I have 28k of smile miles on my car.The only investment a GT is enjoyment! If your enjoyment is going goo goo at looking at it in the garage so be it ! But driving it is the ultimate experience.The person who dies with the most mileage wins!I'm not saving my GT for resale value or the next guy!The same is all true with my wife !I'm not saving her for the next guy either!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The same is all true with my wife !I'm not saving her for the next guy either!

:lol

I will have to loose the ability to earn any income and be starving to death (or close to it) to worry about any resale value.

Having said that, I, Like Twobjshelbys bought a low mileage car, did a PPI and still had issues to fix. I think the others giving you advice to allow some miles is a sound one. It isn't an F-car.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
The true pleasure of owning a GT is knowing it intimately.It is truly of wonderful machine to get intimate with.I have 28k of smile miles on my car.The only investment a GT is enjoyment! If your enjoyment is going goo goo at looking at it in the garage so be it ! But driving it is the ultimate experience.The person who dies with the most mileage wins!I'm not saving my GT for resale value or the next guy!The same is all true with my wife !I'm not saving her for the next guy either!

Exactly

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...If I was to buy another, I would get a blue with 5000 miles plus and drive the piss out of it....

Terry - Didn't you already have a chance at this? :frown :lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Bummer if the wife were saving herself for the next guy.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How do you see the collectibility/pricing difference between low mile cars and driver cars over the next 5-10 years?

Sounds like you are still struggling. First, any answer to your question is pure speculation.

Let's start with some perspective. 4,038. Not even one for every Ford dealer in the US. Rarity established. By most accounts, possibly 1,000 crashed. Of that, some hundreds totaled. Many exported to nouveau riche Russian mafia and the like. More than six years gone since the last came off the assembly line. Rarity moving into threatened species status.

Next. The most amazing car ever produced in the US. Stunning when new. Stunning today. Will be stunning still in 40 years. Women will come on to you with their husbands standing there. Then, their husbands will come on to you. This isn't a joke. This happens. Every owner of every other exotic wants one of these. Most will tell you. The ones that don't say it still want it. Go to any cars and coffee and person after person will say you have the most beautiful car there.

Drive down any street and people gawk. Small children stop and point. Small children! It is amazing. Everyone just wants to touch it. Very annoying, but absolutely phenomenal.

So...we've established the GT as a rare object of extreme desire. What else?

Well, what else is that because of the rarity, the market is effectively cornered by a handful of exotic car dealers. They are the market makers almost as De Beers is for diamonds...except they don't own all the stock. However, when a choice GT is privately offered for sale, they can be there with cash. Therefore, to a great extent, they establish and support prices. (Note: I hope it goes without saying, this is opinion. Further, I make no judgements. In fact, personally I think of it as favorable, because reputable dealers add value and earn their profit.)

You have already heard from everyone who has chimed in that these cars were meant to be driven. I think Ralphie said it simply and best...the pleasure he has gotten is worth $500K.

Now, back to the question on collectibility/pricing difference/low mile cars/driver cars. Ahhhh...I'm sorry...I am emotionally spent and that is just too banal. Bahahaha!

Once again, good luck. But I still think you are at cross purposes between wanting to drive and wanting to sell in a few years, and meanwhile the owners are just having a blast driving and the prices continue to climb.

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Terry - Didn't you already have a chance at this? :frown :lol

Yep. Thought about another, and next thing I knew had a 458

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was recently offered a sizeable profit. No way. At least not yet.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My friend Gearge ("Midnite Blu") has two GTs (last time I visited...), his original Midnite Blu car which he will drive to all the events, and a Heritage garage queen (which is absolutely beautiful) in his mini museum with a couple of other great muscle cars from the 60's.

Yet, I would rather have his blue GT anyday over the Heritage, no matter how much hype is thrown upon "Heritage" cars. His blue one has been very slightly modfied with blue chrome wheels, some Project321 adornments, Alex's transaxle breather and a few other personal items. Yet, it's the best GT I've seen, and, should I ever get a blue one, I'd love to make it like George's. I care not about miles - as I have over 60,000 on the #2 car and thus I know that milage doesn't seem to affect any features except tires - been through over 5 sets of rears & 2 sets of fronts.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Yep. Thought about another, and next thing I knew had a 458

Well - I've made some mistakes along the way too - :lol

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Xcentric,

You forgot to tell Shark about all the cars that swarm around you every time you are on the road as they try to film you with their iphones or GoPros. :driving:

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City

Only problem with that is, anyone who's put 5k-10k on them has driven enough to know the true joy of owning one and are less likely to sell.:biggrin

Unless of course, you find some guy in Florida that has a spare. :wink
Over 10k now by the way! Some of that sideways around the track.:driving:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

^^^ +1 ! You rock - etman

buy it, drive it, love it

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Virgin super model = FAIL

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Keep in mind that as the years go by, many delivery mile cars will suffer the museum car curse because they are not properly maintained. Personally, I prefer an older car which has been exercised and well maintained. If a car is going to fall apart in 15,000-20,000 miles, I don't want it anyway.