Prevent flat spots in tires?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm sure some of you have more cars than time to drive them. Curious if you use anything to prevent flat spots in the tires when your cars sit for too long, and if so, anything particular you recommend? Some of my cars unfortunately don't get exercised nearly as often as they should and would like to protect the tires when parked (if it helps)

Thanks

Last edited:

JGT

Mar 12, 2021
They sell those curved tire stops, but they look like a pain. I just over-inflate the tires if they won't be driven for a few months. I also roll the cars forward every once in a while so the tire is not sitting on the same spot. Seems to work.

Reactions: RPM217 and DakotaGT

Dudlow

GT Owner
Nov 8, 2020
London UK
Over inflate by about 50%......but put a note on the steering wheel to remind you !

Reactions: RPM217

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Could buy 2 of the inexpensive low profile floor jacks from Harbor Freight, place 1 under the fire wall on each side of the FGT, and take a bunch of weight off the tires ... like all of it, if you want, except a few pounds so the car doesn't teeter.

Those are 1.5-ton jacks = 3,000 lbs, so 2 would lift the car entirely off the floor ... except for the teetering issue. Since those are hydraulic they'll eventually leak down, but if your only concern is tire flat spots, maybe a very slow leak down is acceptable (just pump back up occasionally). If not, maybe lift the car a bunch and then put a wood block under the fire wall on each side ... again, prob best to keep all 4 tires touching the floor, at least maybe 25-50 lbs worth.

Just FYI ... With an FGT weight of say 3,500 lbs, and a 43%F / 57%R weight distribution, that'd be 753 lbs on each front tire and 998 lbs on each rear tire ... some figures for thought.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have a set of flatstoppers (tire cradle).

If your garage floor is smooth, be prepared to have to epoxy them in place to keep them from sliding when trying to get on them.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I use carpet samples from a local store. And I over-inflate.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They sell gel mats to put under the tires. Haven't seen anyone mention these in a long while, but they are not cheap.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
When you do finally drive it, they are lumpy for a bit, then it goes away. Thats what I do (nothing).....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Near the end I'd drive it around the block a few times until it warmed up to operating temp (not just residential but main type streets so it'd get revved a little). The net result was the tires also got off their previous position.

Reactions: PeteK

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
How long does a car need to be parked for this to occur?

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I use rubber gym floor mats all year long.
Cut to size.
No worries going forward.
With current tire tech. doubt it's an issue anyway.
Best.
Mark

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
I use the flat stoppers and they work. Agree with 2112, adhere them to the concrete to keep them from shifting - I just used two-sided tape.

Reactions: GTMD and 2112

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I also have flat stoppers and I definitely like them. Seem to do the job for me.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I inflate to 50 lbs, and no problem when I release the pressure, and drive off in spring!

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
I use flat stoppers on all my cars when in storage. They work but require some effort to get the cars on them. Not to difficult once you learn how to do it.