Post-factory export numbers

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Out of the total 4038 GTs built, 378 were directly exported from Ford.

Does anyone have any idea how many additional cars have been exported? I know of Shelby selling cars to the middle east and Russia.

I'm guessing 200-250.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Export

I don't believe there is any way to accurately discern that number. A tremendous number of Ford GTs are listed neither in the Shelby Registry or the Ford GT Registry. A large number of Ford GTs remaining in United States are not titled or registered and are sitting in collections or in storage. A large number of Ford GTs that have been totaled have not had a claim filed with an insurance company. Forum member CobraJeff who is the official SAAC Ford GT registrar would have the best information here.

Chip

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
yeah thats going to be very hard to calculate, but i would assume alot were exported during mid 07-fall 08 when the $ was very weak

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
If 200 more were exported, my guess is that there are around 3100 GTs left intact in the US.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I would be willing to bet that more than 200 have been exported. I have exported at least 25 to 30 cars myself. Probably more if I went back and looked.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
GT emigration.

If 200 more were exported, my guess is that there are around 3100 GTs left intact in the US.

Joe,

My estimate of Ford GTs remaining in United States would be lower than that.

Original build---------------------------4038

Canadian GTs---------------------------277
European GTs---------------------------101
GTs totaled (my est.)--------------------350
GTs privately exported (my est.)---------400

GTs left in the U.S.---------------------2910
# of these crashed and fixed (est.)-------500

Undamaged unrepaired GTs in the U.S. = 2410

I, of course, have no data other than empirical observations to back up any of this. I am reasonably certain that these figures are at least in the ballpark. 2400 is not very many cars. That's about the number of GT350 Mustangs that Shelby built in 1966 alone. The remaining supply of Ford GTs are being totaled at the rate of about one a week or 50 a year.

Even for those of us who love Boss 429s and 1968 GT500KR's, the Ford GT will probably stand forever as the pinnacle of Ford high-performance vehicles. I know many of our members say these cars are way too common to be considered investment-grade collectible. I disagree. A decade from now when fewer than 2000 these cars remain in the country that built them, I believe they'll be quite valuable and unfortunately, will not find themselves out on the road as often as they do today. That's my take on it.

Chip

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I was being a bit conservative on the export numbers, but do you really think 500 have been wrecked?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I was being a bit conservative on the export numbers, but do you really think 500 have been wrecked?

Yes.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
500 wrecked sounds like a lot in 3 years (1 out of 8 built, and probably 1 out of 6-7 driven, as many are stored). Crazy.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You need to account for multiple car owners.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I agree. I would say that 500 have been wrecked. Now when we say wreck, that does not mean "total", but I would say atleast 500 have had some sort of repair that required body and paint work. I would say that easily 200 have salvage titles. I would also say that there are atleast 100 track cars out there. So when you do the math, it adds up quick.....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I agree. I would say that 500 have been wrecked. Now when we say wreck, that does not mean "total", but I would say atleast 500 have had some sort of repair that required body and paint work.

Exactly.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
FGTs totalled

I agree with Chip. I feel your numbers are very close if not right on. Thanks for the info.

Ed

GTforever

Dec 7, 2007
Germany
yeah thats going to be very hard to calculate, but i would assume alot were exported during mid 07-fall 08 when the $ was very weak
Exactly at the end of 007 I imported my 06 GT( black/stripes delete)
from USA.Fitted with Penske 3 way shocks, Ford racing pulley and tune,
Accufab trottle body,K+N Filters,custom made X-pipe and 265/40/18
345/35/19 Pirelli Corsa asymetrico I drove 4300mls on tracks and public
roads. I know from 2 others in my surrounding which imported a Gt at
the same time.
Hanns

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Joe,

My estimate of Ford GTs remaining in United States would be lower than that.

Original build---------------------------4038

Canadian GTs---------------------------277
European GTs---------------------------101
GTs totaled (my est.)--------------------350
GTs privately exported (my est.)---------400

GTs left in the U.S.---------------------2910
# of these crashed and fixed (est.)-------500

Undamaged unrepaired GTs in the U.S. = 2410

I, of course, have no data other than empirical observations to back up any of this. I am reasonably certain that these figures are at least in the ballpark. 2400 is not very many cars. That's about the number of GT350 Mustangs that Shelby built in 1966 alone. The remaining supply of Ford GTs are being totaled at the rate of about one a week or 50 a year.

Even for those of us who love Boss 429s and 1968 GT500KR's, the Ford GT will probably stand forever as the pinnacle of Ford high-performance vehicles. I know many of our members say these cars are way too common to be considered investment-grade collectible. I disagree. A decade from now when fewer than 2000 these cars remain in the country that built them, I believe they'll be quite valuable and unfortunately, will not find themselves out on the road as often as they do today. That's my take on it.

Chip

I think Chip's estimates are realistic. One reflection of the GT loss history is insurance premiums. I have both my GT's insured with USAA (along with 3 daily driver cars). The premiums on both GT's (both '05's) are now about $1900 annually per car. That's a bump of about $250 per car. Checked with Hagerty and their policy is not any cheaper.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
The sight of that Heritage crushed by that tree in Moscow was sickening (driver was OK), so the wrecked numbers probably are right.

Why so many wrecks?

Is it no traction control, more power than ordinary mortals are used to, just showing off or too much testosterone?:ack

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The sight of that Heritage crushed by that tree in Moscow was sickening (driver was OK), so the wrecked numbers probably are right.

Why so many wrecks?

Is it no traction control, more power than ordinary mortals are used to, just showing off or too much testosterone?:ack

Yes.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It's punching it with the wheel turned.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
And cold temps, both ambient and tires.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
power whip

Dr F - you can punch my GT with the wheels straight & get it to step out very quickly.

Ed