Possible new Owner

Rufcar

Feb 23, 2010
central PA
I am currently trying to trade my 1935 rare (1 of 2) 3.5 Litre Arnold body fast back Airline Saloon Bentley for a 2005 Ford GT. I have a few possible deals in the works. I am a Porsche guy have a RUF BTR C-4 205 MPH street car/race car and a 73 RS Hot rod and passed autocrosser. I love the GT look and history and I have never driven one! Here are aa few questions of you experts.
At 6' tall 180 Lbs will I fit?
What tech questions do I need to ask? The car in q has 8K miles!
Can I service it with my garage crew and if not can any Ford dealer do it?
How hot does it get inside and will the A/C keep up?
Are there any gremlins I need to know about?
Can I take it on any long 500-700 mi road trips and not die in the car from heat or discomfort?
Is there any difference between 2005 and 2006 and if so is it that important one way or the other?
Thanks Jim Facinelli current pres Rolls Royce Foundation ( I have varied car taste!)

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Welcome

NO PROBLEM

TSBs and Half Shaft Bolts are the two critical ones plus a PPI

You can do most of the service yourself

Never gets hot.

Just the need to continuously drive it..

Can I take it on any long 500-700 mi road trips and not die in the car from heat or discomfort?

Many have driven these cars for over 10 hours in total comfort and heat is never an issue..

Last edited:

Rufcar

Feb 23, 2010
central PA
car

Thanks for the fast results! I did find a member near me and I wrote him to see if I can ck out his car! Any place i can find all the car specs on a 2005?

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
There's a little gremlin that likes to kill gauges. Search "Tachometer stopped working."

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks for the fast results! I did find a member near me and I wrote him to see if I can ck out his car! Any place i can find all the car specs on a 2005?

Here's an original Ford Document - Specs on page 21

:cheers

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I am 6'0 - 235LBS = No problem.

Very comfortable.

Bought mine in Los Angeles and then drove 500 miles to AZ. Great way to learn your new girl ... in a hurry.

A/C works great in AZ ... in the summer.

Depending on where you live, a Ford dealer can service, however check this forum for Ford dealers that GT owners have had success with or supporting vendors that belong to the Ford GT forum.

YES! the gremlins that have red & blue lights built into the grill ... they generally drive Crown Vics or Dodge Chargers. Crown Vics have approx 225HP and the new Dodge Chargers have 368HP hemi V8 ... don't ask why I know this. :biggrin

Last edited:

Rufcar

Feb 23, 2010
central PA
gt

Trust me I know those lights better than anyone, coming back from historic race week at the Glenn in the fall I received my 45th speeding ticket! I know the GT will help me ahcive my goal of 50! LOL I hope not! Thanks for all your input guys! jim

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I am currently trying to trade my 1935 rare (1 of 2) 3.5 Litre Arnold body fast back Airline Saloon Bentley for a 2005 Ford GT. I have a few possible deals in the works. I am a Porsche guy have a RUF BTR C-4 205 MPH street car/race car and a 73 RS Hot rod and passed autocrosser. I love the GT look and history and I have never driven one! Here are aa few questions of you experts.
Yep. At 6'4" and about 210, without a helmet, I fit quite easily.
Get Rich and Denis, a.k.a. The GT Guys, to fly/drive down and totally inspect the car in question. I have 26,000 on mine and it runs just fine.
I would recommend you perform all service work yourself as it builds a better bond between driver and car, it saves a reasonable amount of cash, and you will never have that feeling of not really knowing if someone else made a mistake.
The A/C works well. One of the good things about the software is that especailly in heavy traffic on a very hot day, as the engine temp begins to climb a bit, the cooling fans speed up and blast a huge amount of air across the radiators and the engine really seems to cool down. The fans automatically go into high speed with the A/C on, I think
Gremlins appear only from lack of use.
My longest single "one day" trip was about 580 miles, and hanging out up in Long Island with other FGT owners, eating more than I should have, wine tasting, and just hanging out at Joey's sandwhiched inbetween; the only discomfort was my eye sockets drying out.
Is there any difference between 2005 and 2006 and if so is it that important one way or the other?
Very minor, and insignificant, so yes, but unimportant.
Thanks Jim Facinelli current pres Rolls Royce Foundation ( I have varied car taste!)[/QUOTE]

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Re: A/C

Can hang meat inside

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
6'3 215 fit no problem. with helmet, lay the seat back a bit and forward a scootch... no issues.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Sounds like your questions have all been answered... go get it! :cheers

I've driven mine from the UK to the South of France and back and it was as comfortable the Bentley and considerably more comfortable than a Murcielago or Vanquish. Quite quiet inside and roomy enough for even the largest driver.

There is zero storage in the car other than the passenger seat.

Rufcar

Feb 23, 2010
central PA
I tought you had some limited trunk space like for 2 over night bags?

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
that is correct; but you better be packing just a swimsuit (Speedo?) :lol and a toothbrush. Definately no shaving cream!
Lady Moose

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
there is enough room for a back pack (small-medium) behind both seats for overnight stuff. the front trunk gets pretty warm so light clothes only using the car cover bag works. but to be honest. take two back packs ... ship the rest. if you (or your significant other) needs a steamer chest to travel buy an m5 estate. if not then jump on the GT and NEVER look back.

Rufcar

Feb 23, 2010
central PA
storage

Went to europe a couple yrs ago for 2 weeks with 2 carry ones! It is nice to have a touch of space! My 2 race porsches have sufficent space so Ill need to check one out and actually see the space but its not a deal braker thats for sure! Its all about the driving, right?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
It IS about the drive and second the recommendation, just get one and do not look back.

You will have miles and miles of smiles! And be ready to answer questions when stopping for gas as it is a crowd magnet. Enjoy the attention and be proud of driving a racing (and most notably an American) icon.

Join us soon!

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Thanks Jim Facinelli current pres Rolls Royce Foundation ( I have varied car taste!)
Some Early 05's had a mainseal leak.."search" Speedi Sleeve..

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Start with 7 pair of older underwear; throw away a pair each day; on the 6th day, go out and buy 7 new pair of underwear (cheaper and less time consuming than a laundromat). Continue process until you return home, and you'll have replaced your old underwear with nice new ones. (Can do the same with socks)

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Start with 7 pair of older underwear; throw away a pair each day; on the 6th day, go out and buy 7 new pair of underwear (cheaper and less time consuming than a laundromat). Continue process until you return home, and you'll have replaced your old underwear with nice new ones. (Can do the same with socks)

Being that he will be a "NEW" owner ... he may need more underwear. :rofl

The front storage trunk should be able hold a package of "Depends" adult diapers and package of barf bags for the passenger. :ack

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ruf, while it's true that Ralphie does do this with his clothing, there is trunk space to hold the car cover, and many people use the cover bag as luggage. The problem is, it gets hot as hell in there so nothing that can melt in the trunk. There is storage behind the seats, and if you travel alone, all the passenger seat and floor space. A/C works well even in St. Louis hot/humid summers. Search the Forum for gremlins like battery ground strap, bad gauges, etc.; however, a car with 8K should have all the bugs worked out.