Plan to buy new GT

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Hi all...I plan to buy a 2006 GT. I looked and looked but am held back by some basics. I was very disappointed that the GT idled and sounded like a family sedan. I realize it will never be a Saleen S7, but would like it to at least have a muscular sound and be as lumpy as a 96-99 Viper. Not looking for a massive increase in power. Can this be handled with just an exhaust and cam change? I believe the internals are already plenty strong for this. Just want a muscle car sound to go with the car's power and looks.

What have some of you done in this area?

Thanks...

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
With an added exhaust it will be nice and loud. With the long tube headers it will be the best sounding car, this side of formula 1.

I have a borla exhaust and its great. But this week I am adding the headers.

Aug 25, 2006
Hi all...I plan to buy a 2006 GT. I looked and looked but am held back by some basics. I was very disappointed that the GT idled and sounded like a family sedan. I realize it will never be a Saleen S7, but would like it to at least have a muscular sound and be as lumpy as a 96-99 Viper. Not looking for a massive increase in power. Can this be handled with just an exhaust and cam change? I believe the internals are already plenty strong for this. Just want a muscle car sound to go with the car's power and looks.

What have some of you done in this area?

Thanks...

Huum you must have seen and heard a different GT than most; at least different than me.

IMO even the gals in OEM trim have a strong purposeful sound that I feel is fairly extreme considering the DOT and TUV requirements of today

Having shared this a simple exhaust modification would likely bring her closer to that which resides in your "Minds Eye"

All the best with your quest

Shadowman

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Ok...thanks guys. First, I don't want an obnoxious sounding car, but want something a little meaner sounding than a Ford Fusion. For those of you that have heard/driven the Saleen S7 TT, it has a mean idle that bounces from 1200-1800 rpm and a very deep grumble. Now the GT I tested idled very smoothly and sounded like a Ford family sedan. That is why I asked about going with exhaust and cam.

When new exhaust livens it up, does it have any noticable lope to it? Funny with a 96 Viper GTS, it sounded whimpy with factory exhaust. But, when you put aftermarket on it, that lumpy cam came alive.

Finally, on previous vettes and vipers, Borla had about the baddest deep sound, but also had the worse resonance. Corsa took away all the drone but had a sharp, raspy note. How is the Borla on the GT?

Aug 25, 2006
Ok...thanks guys. First, I don't want an obnoxious sounding car, but want something a little meaner sounding than a Ford Fusion. For those of you that have heard/driven the Saleen S7 TT, it has a mean idle that bounces from 1200-1800 rpm and a very deep grumble. Now the GT I tested idled very smoothly and sounded like a Ford family sedan. That is why I asked about going with exhaust and cam.

When new exhaust livens it up, does it have any noticable lope to it? Funny with a 96 Viper GTS, it sounded whimpy with factory exhaust. But, when you put aftermarket on it, that lumpy cam came alive.

Finally, on previous vettes and vipers, Borla had about the baddest deep sound, but also had the worse resonance. Corsa took away all the drone but had a sharp, raspy note. How is the Borla on the GT?

Apples and oranges ; a NA (normally aspirated) engine can be designed to work well with a higher duration lopey cam profile however FI (forced induction) motors do not respond in the same way.

Can you install more agressive high duration lopey idle cams into a FI gal; absolutely however likely at the cost of performance.

Now there is far more that goes into the cam selection process however lopey idle is typically a by-product of the motor's design and intended usage not the initial goal of the project.

I hope that you find what you are looking for

Takes care

Shadowman

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Apples and oranges ; a NA (normally aspirated) engine can be designed to work well with a higher duration lopey cam profile however FI (forced induction) motors do not respond in the same way.

Can you install more agressive high duration lopey idle cams into a FI gal; absolutely however likely at the cost of performance.

I agree totally. Back in 50s/60s, guys would install the biggest cam made without anything else...and then wonder why the performance got worse. But, I'm going by my own experience with my '94 vette...fully built and blown. It had about the most radical cam that would work correctly in harmony with the blower, etc. It was street legal, emissions legal, and ran 10.21 1/4. It's idle would shake the ground, yet was very driveable. The fast idle during a cold start even worked properly.

Guess I'll plan on going with just an exhaust change and maybe a pulley change. Can always drive the S7 when I have a longing for the muscle sound of the 50s and 60s. Just thought that since Saleen had his hand in building the GT, it might have a more aggressive sound.

Thanks for all your help. Would still like to get input on the different brands of exhaust systems used. Looking for something deep and throaty. This will go on an 06 Tungsten Grey...unless I can find a Midnight Blue (which I have NOT been able to do so far). Must have all four options.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006

I have the borla and I love it. It is not too loud at low rpm, but when you get close to redline, it sounds like you unleashed hell.

I am also adding the headers for the low rpm fireworks.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

You may want to check out the sound clips it will give you some idea what others have done
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3051

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Here is the sound I would like to copy for the GT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WJsVw8A0A0

weatherman1940 - If you want a sound like that I would suggest the following exhaust:

M-9430-GTX.jpg

We have both these in stock the way you see them pictured and Jet-Hot ceramic coated. Not sure if you are looking to keep your GT smog legal or ?

If you have any questions please let us know we have installed every kind of exhaust available currently and also make our own.

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here is the sound I would like to copy for the GT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WJsVw8A0A0

Hummmm.
'Sounds more like a Rat Motored 60's Vette or Camero, doesn't it?
The sound is GREAT ... 'just coming out of the wrong type of car IMHO.:usa

Aug 25, 2006
Hummmm.
'Sounds more like a Rat Motored 60's Vette or Camero, doesn't it?
The sound is GREAT ... 'just coming out of the wrong type of car IMHO.:usa

I too agree; If I heard that sound before seeing the car I would never associate it with the GT much less the Saleen. IMO it makes the gals sound ...huuum .... less refined is the term that comes to my mind.

I would be expecting a fricken Pro-Street Hot Rod, a BADASS Vette, or a litany of other muscle cars that typically present themself as "RAW" and untamed.

That sound reminds me of sitting at the tree waiting for the lights to fall and even though I like it IMO it is not the sound I would want for my GT.

Shadowman

Jun 29, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Yes...I agree. The S7 is BAAAAAAAADDD sounding. When I first saw the video, I had to call Steve Saleen and verify that I was hearing the actual "out of the box" sound...and I was. Despite my love for the Lambos, I am not an F1 person and to me, they all sound like singer sewing machines revved up to 8500 rpm. But, so be it. To me, nothing can sound as good as a good American V8...and the S7's 427 solid lifter is just that. I would be disappointed to pay $500k plus and have a sewing machine sound.

Coming from the 50s, I've always loved the lumpy idle. I wouldn't want anything LOUDER than that S7 though. I feel the GT needs both a throaty growl and some lump to it. May have to settle for just a moderate exhaust change and the family sedan idle. It was the lack of sound and no lope that saddened me when looking at the GT. Beautiful car, shouts muscle car, but sure doesn't sound like one.

I appreciate all the input and will just have to decide after I drive it for a few months. May decide it needs nothing added at all. It is a car in its own class and the looks are great.

Aug 25, 2006
Yes...I agree. The S7 is BAAAAAAAADDD sounding. When I first saw the video, I had to call Steve Saleen and verify that I was hearing the actual "out of the box" sound...and I was. Despite my love for the Lambos, I am not an F1 person and to me, they all sound like singer sewing machines revved up to 8500 rpm. But, so be it. To me, nothing can sound as good as a good American V8...and the S7's 427 solid lifter is just that. I would be disappointed to pay $500k plus and have a sewing machine sound.

Coming from the 50s, I've always loved the lumpy idle. I wouldn't want anything LOUDER than that S7 though. I feel the GT needs both a throaty growl and some lump to it. May have to settle for just a moderate exhaust change and the family sedan idle. It was the lack of sound and no lope that saddened me when looking at the GT. Beautiful car, shouts muscle car, but sure doesn't sound like one.

I appreciate all the input and will just have to decide after I drive it for a few months. May decide it needs nothing added at all. It is a car in its own class and the looks are great.

Your comments are well received

All the best with your gal

Shadowman

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Twin turbo cars generally have a great sound with no cats or mufflers. The turbos do a great job of quieting what would otherwise be obnoxious noise. Additionally, you get the benefit of hearing the turbos spool up and spool down, which is a sound you only hear from turbos and jet engines. You can get a reliable 800+ HP twin turbo set up for a GT for as little as $25,000.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Twin turbo cars generally have a great sound with no cats or mufflers. The turbos do a great job of quieting what would otherwise be obnoxious noise. Additionally, you get the benefit of hearing the turbos spool up and spool down, which is a sound you (and the cars behind you) only hear from turbos and jet engines. You can get a reliable 800+ HP twin turbo set up for a GT for as little as $25,000.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.

Interesting - there are even opinions on a stronger cam lope. I am wth you -I would like more lope just for the sound of it. I too have said I wish is sounded like the S7 after hearing and being in one of those.

Listen to other systems before you go changing exhaust. I have heard them all, and still have not found the right one for me. The accufab has been the best, but still not "it" though being in the desert I may go that way for temperature benefit. I am waiting to hear the stainless works system to see what that one is like. Obviously is won't help with lope, but the header / cat conversion may get a little more of that deeper, metallic sound.

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
FGT Sound

It may be the car you drove. I think the FGT is a little subdued because of noise reg's. It does have a nice sound. I have looked at, sat in, and started a Sallen S7 and I was thinking of buying one. I thought it sounded tinny.

The Ferrari Enzo now that makes the little hairs on your neck stand up. The FGT does not sounds as well as my F430 Ferrari. The ferrari has a factory exhaust system that opens up with throttle. I think the FGT sound very good. Just my opinion. It is also a great car for the money.

I would be afraid to change it/ my Lotus Sport has a sport exhaust and it drones all of the time. The sweetness of the sound goes away after a few miles.

Lee

Lee :willy