Paint Scratch

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
I'm looking for a little advise from the Forum: I have a small scratch on the car, probably about 1/4" long, but visible. So, would you touch it up yourself or have a body shop have a go at it?

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
quick question

Your avatar shows a Heritage model. If that is what you have and are needing the Orange color, you have to get it mixed up at a paint supply company, or maybe a body shop.
If it is any other color you can buy TUP.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
It is a Heritage, and unfortunately it's down to metal, so buffing won't do it.
It's on the left side air scoop - apparently created when I tried to get my clamshell to close properly.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
scratch

BTW I have the same type of scratches on both sides. Haven't done anything about them yet. My engine cover is a bit hard to close and haven't had it adjusted yet. Not a good thing. Doesn't work as smooth as butta, like other folks have mentioned. WP this may a warranttee issue, doesn't hurt to ask. Jeff

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Is the scoop easy to remove for the mechanically inept?

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Rob, if you decide to tackle removing the scoop and want a hand or just need some moral support send me a pm. pd

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
PL510*Jeff said:
BTW I have the same type of scratches on both sides. Haven't done anything about them yet. My engine cover is a bit hard to close and haven't had it adjusted yet. Not a good thing. Doesn't work as smooth as butta, like other folks have mentioned. WP this may a warranttee issue, doesn't hurt to ask. Jeff

My engine cover is also hard to close. Generally it takes two to open or close. When opening it seems that I need a person on each side to work the saftey latches. When closing it takes a fair amount of force and I always have someone on the other side providing downward force with me.

Given some of the comments on the site, I take it my situation is not normal. Can someone direct me to documentation providing the adjustment procedure?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When I open the hatch I start from the drivers side, pull the release, then if the hatch doesn't open, yank on the air vent. Then depress the driver's side safety latch, and then the passenger side safety latch. I am tall enough to reach across the car to do the other side without walking over there.

To close, move the hatch until it is about 12" from the closed position and then with one hand on center of the hatch near the brake light push down firmly and quickly to slam it into place. If I don't close it firmly the hatch/door open light may stay on.

BlackICE

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
You should not be having this much difficulty opening and closing the rear hatch. When adjusted properly the rear hatch will close and latch (both sides) with gentle pressure. It sounds like some adjustment is required. pd

doccars

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 10, 2005
Some auto dealerships use a service to repair minor scratches on wheels and body paint. The service is similar to the dent wizard. I would inquire at a trusted dealership for a referral. Perhaps they can professionally repair the scratch without painting the panel. I personally had a damaged wheel on a Porsche SUV repaired this way and was unable to tell that it was ever repaired (and I am extremely critical). By the way my wife said I caused the damage. Only problem was that I never drove the vehicle, but I would never win the argument so I just paid for the repair and kept my mouth shut.

doccars

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
doccars

Remember rule # 1:

The wife is never wrong although she may not be correct.

Dave

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
doccars said:
Some auto dealerships use a service to repair minor scratches on wheels and body paint. The service is similar to the dent wizard. I would inquire at a trusted dealership for a referral. Perhaps they can professionally repair the scratch without painting the panel. I personally had a damaged wheel on a Porsche SUV repaired this way and was unable to tell that it was ever repaired (and I am extremely critical). By the way my wife said I caused the damage. Only problem was that I never drove the vehicle, but I would never win the argument so I just paid for the repair and kept my mouth shut.

doccars
Been there, done that! :ack