Packing for trips

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I will be picking up my car (with my wife) in the Midwest. I plan on taking 4 or more days to get back home and I am concerned about carrying enough for a short trip. Has anyone some suggestions for storage?

I think 2 small soft bags stowed just in front of the seats under our legs would work. Maybe something behind the seats? Has anyone got any solutions? Does anyone have any dimensions for fitting small bags in any areas that I can pack before leaving to pick up my GT?

Thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just a word of caution when attempting to store anything in the driver's foot well. If you have to do it, insure that it cannot move in anyway to block your access to the brakes, clutch and gas pedal!

Now if you might get hungry on the trip you can store some food in the front truck and it will stay warm.

BlackICE

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
You would be luck to fit a briefcase behind the seats. There is NO ROOM, unless you are 4'2". :wink
You can fit a very small duffle bag in the front storage compartment, but that's it. :bored
That is the exact reason I opted to have it shipped to me instead of going on a road trip.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
To make the best of a bad thing. Your car will have a tire repair kit/pump, a cover, and a few other items in the front compartment. Have the dealer ship them. Second, remove the child safety bracket behind the drivers seat (this will open room for the wifes purse and a few other small items).
The next one is very important, as the wife starts to frown tell her she can bye new "stuff" at every stop! :biggrin

Enjoy and have fun!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
My wife and I just took our first weekend jaunt in the GT. Placed a small duffle in front of passenger seat and then used the space behind the seats to place most our clothes, leaving them on hangers. Used those lightweight nylon/vinyl zipper bags, moved the seats forward, placed the clothes behind them, moved the seats back and "pinched" the clothes between rear firewall and seat backs. Worked pretty well.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you don't want your car cover, use the duffel it came in in the front trunk, or buy one of similar size. A new duffel from Ford parts costs about $650 (see previous posts on this). But don't tell your wife this or she may want something similar. I've considered buying one of those suction cup hooks and sticking it on the window behind the seat to hang a few items. Haven't tried it, but should work and still keep rear vision available.

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Later this year I'm off to the South of France for a few weeks in the GT - so this post is of interest! My wife is flying down to Marseilles with the bulk of the luggage - however I will be with a chum for four days or so.

Certainly don't put anything under your knees (the driver), under heavy braking a bag could push into your right leg with dire (opposite) consquences. Please don't do this. Promise?

Under the passengers legs can take a fair bit of assorted (soft) bags and finally the trunk. I am reliably informed (here) that it's not a watertight area - so use the dust cover zip up bag, but perhaps wrap that in a large waste bin liner (not sure what you call them in the US).

I've yet to have good look behind the seats - I reckon most of that space will be used too...

Good luck and remember, of course, to tell us about your journey!

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Suit Case

I just completed a 1000 mile run in my GT and needed shirts and slacks for the trip. I found a cheap garment bag at AAA that folds over and fits behind the seats. It is pretty stiff so it holds it shape. Now I have to move the seat forward to drive so there is some room there. The seat only needs to be a few inches forward to have the bag fit. I am sure you can find one at any luggage store. Mine are black and work reasonably well. Not perfect. Don't forget about the heat warnings for the trunk. Anything that can melt will and I would think even an aerisol can might explode.
Don

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Packing the GT is easy for a trip.

Why do you think there are designer mesh credit card holders (his and her) on the front of both seats?

And you thought your well wishers were saying goodbye?

They were saying ..........Go buy, go buy.................... :biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Just my opinion, but.

Being a hand built car and after the initial problems some owners have had, myself included, I'm not sure a road trip of 4 days is a great idea right off the showroom floor. What will you do if you have any sort of trouble at all? Not all Ford dealers can work on a GT.

The GT is a great car, but you really need to break her in before you go on a long drive without at least a companion car following.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Good idea - just buy what you need along the way!

It's even easier than that. I suggest sliding the passenger seat all the way back, open the passenger door, and remove bulky space eating accessories.........like a wife. That will free up plenty of space for your stuff and according to BigDan, a replacement unit can be picked up at your destination! :banana

Chip

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
SteveA said:
To make the best of a bad thing. Your car will have a tire repair kit/pump, a cover, and a few other items in the front compartment. Have the dealer ship them. Second, remove the child safety bracket behind the drivers seat (this will open room for the wifes purse and a few other small items).
The next one is very important, as the wife starts to frown tell her she can bye new "stuff" at every stop! :biggrin

Enjoy and have fun!

Why would you ship the tire pump and gunk to stop a leak? You actually need that and it is stowed in a special place not taking up room.

As to storage small bags are better than bigger bags. What you may think as small is not small enough I really mean small bags.. The car cover bag is the max size that will fit in the front boot.

Yes items can be placed behind the seats depending upon seat position. Jackets folded at the top and a small purse behind the seat at the bottom. Floor area of passegnger compartment also is viable but again small bags. Do not store anything that is impacted by ehated in the front compartment. It gets very hot.

Dave

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
:cheers :biggrin :thumbsup :lol :banana
ChipBeck said:
It's even easier than that. I suggest sliding the passenger seat all the way back, open the passenger door, and remove bulky space eating accessories.........like a wife. That will free up plenty of space for your stuff and according to BigDan, a replacement unit can be picked up at your destination! :banana

Chip

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Reading this thread reminds me of the typical woman who "needs" to take 5 large suitcases for a 1 wk vacation. :lol Probably better to learn how to pack small instead of trying to find places to stuff everything. (I only took a purse & school-size backpack when I went to spend 2 months traveling across Europe - 7 outfits, 3 pair of shoes, & everything else one needs).

Make sure to let us know how it went & good luck!! :biggrin

MJ

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
piccola said:
Reading this thread reminds me of the typical woman who "needs" to take 5 large suitcases for a 1 wk vacation. :lol Probably better to learn how to pack small instead of trying to find places to stuff everything. (I only took a purse & school-size backpack when I went to spend 2 months traveling across Europe - 7 outfits, 3 pair of shoes, & everything else one needs).

Make sure to let us know how it went & good luck!! :biggrin

MJ

When traveling light, the perfect woman takes little in terms of extra clothing. In fact ......................

NOTHING :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

is best (sorry to all of the NOW members reading this post - just a pig at heart :wink )

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
AZGT said:
When traveling light, the perfect woman takes little in terms of extra clothing. In fact ......................

NOTHING :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

is best (sorry to all of the NOW members reading this post - just a pig at heart :wink )

Now that would make for a VERY interesting road trip... Who on this site is going to argue w/that????? After all...less IS more. :banana However, I've noticed quite a few posts w/advice to put the luggage & the wifes on a plane & enjoy the road trip by themselves. Perhaps this would change their minds??? :lol :cheers Uhm, one more thing... Does this "perfect" women then get to drive??? :wink

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
piccola said:
Does this "perfect" women then get to drive??? :wink

Well, yes. I think the perfect woman would get to drive. We're so easy :thumbsup

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
piccola said:
... Does this "perfect" women then get to drive??? :wink

The truly perfect woman would never ask to drive :biggrin

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Does anyone have dimensions for me for a small bag that would go in front of the seat on the passenger side?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Bart Carter said:
Does anyone have dimensions for me for a small bag that would go in front of the seat on the passenger side?

What type - spouse or duffel? :biggrin