Outcome of emergency egress

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
So I always (almost) drop the driver side window BEFORE turning the car off. But heading to a restaurant, for an outside lunch, in Arizona heat, get in parking space and turn off car. No power. I had just recently removed the negative terminal for a bunch of reset needs and thinking that it fell off. Cars getting warm in the sun and I hear a little panic in my passengers voice, so hell, tell the guy outside without jumper cables (could get jumped in about 15 minutes) to stand back, I pull the door release and it pops out and force the door open watching the glass bend till it shatters. Terminal must have been sitting on the post as the jarring of the glass breaking retouched the battery post and power came back, lowered other window. Had a crappy lunch, back to car, no power. Open passenger door, slammed it, got power back. Started right up, drove home. Pulled right front tire, wheel well, negative terminal solid as a rock. Reach forward and lifted positive terminal clamp right off. Removed all cables and then each post clamp. Had a hell of a time tightening clamps on tapered posts and think that after clamp is secure, any twisting of the clamp if occurring when putting cable on the battery clamp post, that clamp is going to be loose.

Always drop your window 1/2 inch if you can before shutting car off.

Attachments

• Hadtoopendoor.jpg
    Hadtoopendoor.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Hadto2.jpg
    Hadto2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Hadto3.jpg
    Hadto3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Hadto4.jpg
    Hadto4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Hadto5.jpg
    Hadto5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Ouch!. I have noted alot of batteries now how tapered terminal and I have seen a similar problem in a Lexus. Why tapered terminals?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I'm a little lost. If the NFGT looses power it sounds like there is an emergency manual release handle to open the door. Why does the glass break it you are opening the door with a manual release handle?

QSS

Reactions: extrap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When the door closes the window glass raises up about a half inch to seal the door. No power and it will not open that half inch to open. Jaguars (and maybe other makes) do the same thing.

Reactions: Chris A.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Sorry to hear your window broke on your grocery, restaurant, and hardware transport vehicle. Another lesson learned for Test Mule NGT. Was good to see you at hardware store the other day.

Last edited:

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Geez🤦‍♂️ sorry to hear about that.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Sorry to hear of all the troubles you have had. Being an ex Ford technician these are the stories that are the hardest to observe and all the electrical issues make it even worst. I hope the manufacturer steps up for you. The wedge type clamps are very poor and numerous removal and installation will cause them to fail. Hope you get past this and can enjoy the car.

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
That had to be a sick feeling pushing that door till the window shattered. But like you always say "it's just a car". Still. It's why you're the real test mule, Barry.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Thanks for sharing this important lesson. I could feel the claustrophobia setting in while reading the post! 😬 While I’ve never had an issue, I habitually lower the window just as I put on the seat belt. Would it not be possible to add the 12v port in the trunk like the newer models? You could then use it to energize the car for basic life support.
Also, I’m thinking about investing in one of these for the trunk:
Also, not sure how the GT’s 12v receptacle in the cabin is wired, but maybe this could be stored in the footwell to power up the car for a similar situation to what you experienced.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
👆🏼See above.

Last edited:

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for sharing this important lesson. I could feel the claustrophobia setting in while reading the post! 😬 While I’ve never had an issue, I habitually lower the window just as I put on the seat belt. Would it not be possible to add the 12v port in the trunk like the newer models? You could then use it to energize the car for basic life support.
Also, I’m thinking about investing in one of these for the trunk:
Also, not sure how the GT’s 12v receptacle in the cabin is wired, but maybe this could be stored in the footwell to power up the car for a similar situation to what you experienced.
I had Ford add a 15 amp 12 volt port, it is in the engine bay behind the carbon fiber, and I keep a small lithium battery boost in the trunk. Still would not have helped from the inside. would need to tee that to the inside and have a second boost battery inside, which would use up valuable luggage space!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
When the door closes the window glass raises up about a half inch to seal the door. No power and it will not open that half inch to open. Jaguars (and maybe other makes) do the same thing.
OK, I get it now.

QSS

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Major Bummer

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I am currently in the midst of the ordering process for a 2021 but your ownership experience is making me feel a little nervous.
An extended warranty would be nice to have on a purchase this large.

Reactions: Jazz76

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I am currently in the midst of the ordering process for a 2021 but your ownership experience is making me feel a little nervous.
An extended warranty would be nice to have on a purchase this large.
Ford has had three years of learning, albeit sometimes at my time or expense!

Reactions: ByeEnzo

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Good reminder to all. Sorry for the terrible outcome.

Reactions: JWZ and italianjoe

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Was there any post production adventures with the wires that were the culprits? Recent battery replacement?

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I had Ford add a 15 amp 12 volt port, it is in the engine bay behind the carbon fiber, and I keep a small lithium battery boost in the trunk. Still would not have helped from the inside. would need to tee that to the inside and have a second boost battery inside, which would use up valuable luggage space!
If the car battery is dead, you still cannot open the clamshell trunk if closed, correct??

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
We (Ford) have been dealing with that silly window feature since at least 2002. It has caused plenty of problems and inconvenient shop visits for programming. Somebody needs to slam there fist down and do away with it. Normally were stuck out not in!