Original GT40 Wheels

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Looking for original GT40 wheels. My search shows the 1964 cars with wire wheels. I thought the originals were Halibrands. Anyone have pictures and potential sources including replicas?

TIA

Dave

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
The original wheels were wire wheels. As I understand it, they switched out to Halibrands (I think it was at Shelby's direction) when they noticed that the wire wheels couldn't take the torque.

I believe that other forum members have looked in to Halibrand type wheels (both real and fake knock-off hubs - do a search) and have determined so far that there isn't a match due to the standard brake caliper fitment challenges.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Kingman

Thanjks for your reply. I did a search prior to posting and could find only one post that mentioned Halibrands, not of use. If I didn't do the search I would have had to report myself to Bony.

Looking for a picture to have clones made. That way I can make them with the stock off-set etc and not worry about fitment.

Anyone else interested?

Dave

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Kingman

............ If I didn't do the search I would have had to report myself to Bony.....:lol

Looking for a picture to have clones made. That way I can make them with the stock off-set etc and not worry about fitment.

Anyone else interested?

Dave
I have been thinking about a custom set of wheels as well. Have you chosen a potential manufacturer yet? The reason I ask is that there are a few out in my neck-o-the-woods that I have some 'in' with.

Here is what CAV is doing - http://www.gt40.fordgt40replica.com/gt40-technical-details.php

I have plenty of the books and videos that have classic images to share with you. I will look in my photo archives.

Dan Schoneck

Permanent Vacation
Oct 31, 2007
Call this guy he may have something in the works or can help u
Fran Hall @ rcr 586-329-1573

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Pic #2 is what you are looking for. Unfortunately it isn't a good shot. I have others...

Attachments

• new_001.jpg
    new_001.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,754
  • new_002.jpg
    new_002.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,226
  • new_003.jpg
    new_003.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,288
  • new_004.jpg
    new_004.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,386

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
Looking for original GT40 wheels. My search shows the 1964 cars with wire wheels. I thought the originals were Halibrands. Anyone have pictures and potential sources including replicas?

TIA

Dave

Hello to all. This is my first post to the Ford GT Forum after poking around for a few months. I was lucky enough to buy original 1966 Ford GT40 #P1040 in 1978, and luckier still to have kept it all these years. I know a fair bit about original wheels for these cars. The earliest GT40s in 1964 came with Borrani wire wheels, 6-1/2" width for the front and 8" for the rear. In 1965, Shelby was put in charge of the GT40 racing program and made many changes to the cars including switching to Halibrand magnesium wheels, as the Borranis were not stout enough to handle the power and cornering loads of the GT40. The Halibrands came in a number of widths from 7-1/2" to 12" (I am not aware of a wider Halibrand being used on an original GT40), and in two different patterns, "Big Window" and "Small Window." The Borrani wires continued to be used on the Mk I (small block) Road Coupe, and Mk III Street Car. By the early summer of 1966, another magnesium wheel, the "BRM" pattern, was being used, initially 8" fronts and 10" rears, but later growing all the way to 14" width for the JWA/Gulf team cars in 1969. I can't recall the manufacturer of the BRM rims, but it was not Halibrand.

All of the rims used on original GT40s are 15" diameter, and that will probably prove to be the sticking point for using them on the Ford GT, as I don't see them being able to clear the large brake calipers on the GT. Being able to fit larger calipers is one reason why wheels have grown so much in diameter over the years.

Custom wheels of 16" and 17" diameters using the Halibrand GT40 and Halibrand Cobra II (competition 427 Cobra) patterns are currently available from a few manufacturers. Phil Schmitt of PS Engineering in California has gotten many kudos on both ClubCobra.com and GT40s.com for the quality of this work as well as his cooperative attitude in dealing with customers. I have spoken with him a few times and found him to be very straightforward and helpful. If he can't do something, he will tell you, rather than take your money and deliver junk. Read about someone elses' experiences with Phil at http://jr.stangnet.com/PSE.htm.

I have many original GT40 wheels (Borrani, Halibrand, BRM) in a variety of widths, if someone needs photos or measurements.

Keep up the great work that I've seen on this forum. It is a wonderful resource and community for the successor to the car that started the Ford GT legend 43 years ago. I will be selling my original GT40 soon and am seriously thinking about getting a Ford GT. The X-1 is especially appealing. If any Ford GT Forum members near Annapolis, Maryland or in Florida would be willing to get together with me so I could take a look at their cars, I would very much appreciate it.

Regards to all.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Don

thanks for chiming in...... but whatever you do DON'T SELL the GT40!!!!

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Don

thanks for chiming in...... but whatever you do DON'T SELL the GT40!!!!

Don,

Really!! Don't sell the GT40!

I am in DC all the time. I have quite a few buds up in Annapolis (Academy grads) as well. When do you think you might be bringing her out to stretch the legs? Anytime soon?

BTW - post some pics please.

BTW II - Welcome

cmoody32

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 8, 2006
Keep up the great work that I've seen on this forum. It is a wonderful resource and community for the successor to the car that started the Ford GT legend 43 years ago. I will be selling my original GT40 soon and am seriously thinking about getting a Ford GT. The X-1 is especially appealing. If any Ford GT Forum members near Annapolis, Maryland or in Florida would be willing to get together with me so I could take a look at their cars, I would very much appreciate it.

Regards to all.

I am in Sarasota, FL and have a GTX-1 as well as a stock GT. If you are ever on the west coast of Florida, please feel free to stop by. PM me for my number.:cheers

Chris

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome Don...

Guys, didn't Kirby start a thread on the same subject and isn't he about ready to peel the onion on this topic???

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Welcome to the site Don... If you're coming down I-95 on the way to Fla. - stop in Raleigh and look me up :cheers

Mike

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Here's a great photo (in the proper colors of course):

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?v=y&id=691&s=c&p=1968_Ford_GT40Mk1Gulf5.jpg

Attachments

• halibrand.jpg
    halibrand.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,613
Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Welcome Don...

Guys, didn't Kirby start a thread on the same subject and isn't he about ready to peel the onion on this topic???

Yes he did and he is. Kirby is big time "on" this project. Anxiously waiting for his update.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Hello to all. This is my first post to the Ford GT Forum after poking around for a few months. I was lucky enough to buy original 1966 Ford GT40 #P1040 in 1978,
Regards to all.

Hi Don, welcome to the forum.

I have read your post on other forums challenging Sbarro. It's great you have the real deal. Where do you plan on selling it? Do you have any pictures?

I am the owner of GTX1 #005 , it's cool that you are considering buying a GTX1.

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Yes he did and he is. Kirby is big time "on" this project. Anxiously waiting for his update.

I am working with 2 significant manufacturers who can provide Halibrand style, center-lock, GT40 replica wheels in 18" and 19" for the GT. As soon as the details are available I will post the manufacturer, alternatives and costs. Aesthetically appealing knock-offs for the front have been a real engineering challenge, but it has been solved (an engineering feat that some on the Forum have said "can't be done"). One alternative is a forged magnesium pin drive knock-off that, like our GT's, is a slightly enlarged version of the originals, engineered for aesthetic appeal with 3-ear knock-offs. The same wheels could be used with a center lock nut or they could be machined for lug nuts with a spinner cover. Another alternative is the same wheel in forged aluminum which will be about 25-30% heavier than the magnesium. We are very close to having the wheels that Ford should have made available, at least as an option, for the GT. I expect to have some meaningful information any day. :cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Hello to all. This is my first post to the Ford GT Forum after poking around for a few months. I was lucky enough to buy original 1966 Ford GT40 #P1040 in 1978, and luckier still to have kept it all these years. I know a fair bit about original wheels for these cars. The earliest GT40s in 1964 came with Borrani wire wheels, 6-1/2" width for the front and 8" for the rear. In 1965, Shelby was put in charge of the GT40 racing program and made many changes to the cars including switching to Halibrand magnesium wheels, as the Borranis were not stout enough to handle the power and cornering loads of the GT40. The Halibrands came in a number of widths from 7-1/2" to 12" (I am not aware of a wider Halibrand being used on an original GT40), and in two different patterns, "Big Window" and "Small Window." The Borrani wires continued to be used on the Mk I (small block) Road Coupe, and Mk III Street Car. By the early summer of 1966, another magnesium wheel, the "BRM" pattern, was being used, initially 8" fronts and 10" rears, but later growing all the way to 14" width for the JWA/Gulf team cars in 1969. I can't recall the manufacturer of the BRM rims, but it was not Halibrand.

All of the rims used on original GT40s are 15" diameter, and that will probably prove to be the sticking point for using them on the Ford GT, as I don't see them being able to clear the large brake calipers on the GT. Being able to fit larger calipers is one reason why wheels have grown so much in diameter over the years.

Custom wheels of 16" and 17" diameters using the Halibrand GT40 and Halibrand Cobra II (competition 427 Cobra) patterns are currently available from a few manufacturers. Phil Schmitt of PS Engineering in California has gotten many kudos on both ClubCobra.com and GT40s.com for the quality of this work as well as his cooperative attitude in dealing with customers. I have spoken with him a few times and found him to be very straightforward and helpful. If he can't do something, he will tell you, rather than take your money and deliver junk. Read about someone elses' experiences with Phil at http://jr.stangnet.com/PSE.htm.

I have many original GT40 wheels (Borrani, Halibrand, BRM) in a variety of widths, if someone needs photos or measurements.

Regards to all.

Don, for your 1st post, you really droped a bombshell. A collection that includes an original GT40 and original Competition Cobra...we've been saving a seat for you at the head of the table. Welcome. :cheers
Life's short, you had great foresight in buying those cars. I would sell the GT40 and buy a collection of valuable cars (including a GT and GTX1)under a tax deferred exchange and liquidate the replacement cars over a period of time with nominal tax consequences. A tax attorney could provide some very interesting scenarios :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Kirby,... were waiting :)
Appreciate your leadership.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Regards to all.

Don,

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Autoweek have an article about your GT40...and a copy made by Sbarro (sic?) a while back? I can't remember the details, but wasn't Sbarro (sic?) taking great license with a part or two from an original GT40 and making a complete car and copying the VIN? I think the article stated that experts were able to determine yours was the original because of certain welds and placement of particular components.

If so, you not only have a cool car, but an incredibly interesting backstory to go along with your provenence. .....but I imagine a headache too. :ack

Am I correct? Yea or Nea, can you fill in the blanks and the rest of the story?

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
Welcome Don...

Thanks to all for the welcomes and making me feel right at home at the FordGTForum. I don't want to hijack this thread, so would appreciate some help on where to post a message and a couple of photos of my car. I created a Gallery Tuesday with the allowed five photos (per day), but goofed and somehow didn't get the comments for each photo to load. Is there a limit on the maximum number of characters allowed in a photo comment in the Gallery? Perhaps mine were too long?

To respond briefly to a comment that Kirby made about my cars, he gives me too much credit when he compliments me on my "foresight" for buying the Cobras and GT40. I wish! If I actually had any foresight (and money), I would have loaded up on more of them, and Ferrari GTOs, LMs, and "P" cars, Jaguar C and D types and the XKSS, and a boatload of others.

Fortunately, what I lack in foresight I make up for in plain dumb luck. Woody Allen is alleged to have said, "90 percent of life is just showing up." I am an illustration of Allen's comment. I happened to grow up in the 1960s, when all of what are now our automotive icons were simply used cars. Take a look at the attached photo of an ad from "Autoweek" from the fall of 1970. You could buy an original Cobra Daytona Coupe for $8500--before bargaining! That same car today would cost $8 million (or $12 million if the last rumor I heard is correct).

Gearheads like me, fresh out of grad school and just into our first full time jobs, could scrabble together a couple of thousand bucks and borrow a few more and buy a 427 street Cobra for $6000, as I did with CSX3350 in October 1971. That car cost about one half of my annual income at that time. The thought of making any money on the car never crossed my mind. I bought it because I was totally stoked on 427 Cobras after reading Brock Yates' review of one in the November 1965 issue of Car & Driver magazine in which he said, "The driver of a 427 Cobra has as much chance of being passed by a herd of water buffalo as he does by another car." And when the Cobras did start to go up in value, I had the good fortune to be a holder rather than a seller. I know many guys who bought a Cobra for $6000 and sold it for $10,000. A 66 percent profit! Wow!

The GT40 was similar. I wanted one because I wanted one, and was able to get one because their values, although not cheap, still bore some rational relationship to my income. Oh, if only that were true today!

If someone would point the way to the appropriate subject area on the Forum where I could post some additional information on my GT40 and some photos and answer some of the questions that have been asked about it in some of the messages in this thread, I would be happy to do so.

Attachments

• Coupe-Ad.web.JPG
    Coupe-Ad.web.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 674